Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Kestrel Freighter balance chit-chat.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So these aren't really professional comparisons, but it gets the point across.

[Image: b696781819.jpg]

[Image: 29a32fa7ed.jpg]

[Image: 70272ad788.jpg]

The Kestrel is a very large freighter. A very good looking one, but still rather large. It has some neatly organized cargo containers along the length of its body, and looks like it'd hold a fair amount of cargo.

The Dromedary is also rather large, but it's pushed vertically, giving it a little more of an advantage in avoiding gunfire. It also has 110 more cargo than the Kestrel and turns 2 degrees faster.

Now granted, the Kestrel is a bit more heavily armored, but it seems to have very little in the way of actual use besides appearances (it is a very nice model isn't it?)

I think it's undeserving of it's sluggishness AND its comparably minuscule cargo bay.

Would it be too much to increase its cargo to the 600-625 range, or give it agility deserving of the CTE line? You know, the Eagle, Falcon?

You can see the numbers on the agility, cargo, so on in FL stat (or here) and the Kestrel seems very lacking for its weight (Holy jesus the Bactrian turns that fast?)

What do you guys think?
It's hard to test freighters in combat since they all perform more or less the same (great in duels against snubs, okay in small skirmishes, terrible in all other scenarios), but from what I remember about the Kestrel it was alright. I'd just buff the cargo by following the logic bigger = more room.
Can be looked into.
When I did the freighter rebalance, all freighters were tested on their ability to dodge fire (since that's pretty much the only testable characteristic they have), and the Kestrel performed exceptionally well, much better than the Dromedary. It also has pretty good stats in numbers and no weaknesses in arcs, that's why it wasn't buffed when most other freighters were.

Shape/size is something that's very hard to judge by looks alone.

The Bactrian (and the Correo, and a few others) were judged by different, higher standards to reflect their more combat oriented role as unlawful freighters, that's why their stats are so good (also the Bactrian performed badly in testing which was part of it).

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give it more cargo space and it wouldn't break anything to make it faster, but believe me when I say it's a lot better than that comparison suggests.

Edit: In the very subjective scoring system we used, going from !!!!! for the worst performer (Aurochs) to ????? for the best performer (Annapurna) the Dromedary scored !! and the Kestrel ??.
It was all very scientific.

also don't look too closely at the Courier it's fine don't worry about it
Does it really dodge that well? I don't personally own one, so that might knock off points in my suggestion for a mild buff for it, but it does look like it suffers in a few categories more than others.

A 590-620 cargo range would probably suit it with its size and, according to its model, proper design for hauling said cargo, though it could be said the Dromedary is *all* internal cargo space, despite it's shape.
Something else which i bought up in a topic before but it was generally ignored is making the kestral usable as a mining ship in the same vain as the dromadary, since as a Zoner right now the only usable ship is the dromadary but if we are all honest Zoners are linked to the CTE line more then the boardworlds one so wouldnt it make sense for the CTE Freighter to be usable as a miner as well?
I'd rather the Sunburst be the generic mining freighter, since it's already used as the beginner helium miner. More intuitive that way.
(07-20-2018, 12:00 PM)Thexare Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather the Sunburst be the generic mining freighter, since it's already used as the beginner helium miner. More intuitive that way.

im talking Zoner specific miner Tongue atm only the Dromadary is usable as a miner with Zoner ID
That's what I mean by generic. Just make the Sunburst work for every Sirian ID that can mine instead of throwing in yet another specific case.
Fun fact, the Sunburst was another great performer, even better actually at ???
Pages: 1 2