Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: One of Tails' dumb ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright so, one thing I've been looking at lately in regards to missiles is how useless they are except in very specific situations. So one of my stupid idea's popped into my head. Looking at the trinity launcher for cruisers, a tri-launch heavyweight missile launcher with the potential to delivery alot of firepower to heavy capitalships. Now ofcourse, flaks and CDs render almost all missiles instantly useless, especially slower moving, hard hitting ones.

My idea is for a new BC missile as an alternative to the current medium and heavyweight payloads. The idea is essentially a swarm missile launcher. Launching 5 lightweight missiles with decent tracking to hit cruisers and the occasional gunboat, the swarm launcher delivers a lightweight delivery system with good damage potential to counter the fact that missiles are so easily negated and as such, get very little use.

Missiles stats would be (note, I'm not in any way a balance dev, this is just my rough idea):

Stats edited to reflect feedback

10,000 Hull damage/missile
5,000 Shield damage/missile
Range: 3000m
Speed: 200m/s
0.07 Refire
0.80 Turn Rate

Now I fully understand this idea is stupid, but it brings a possibility that, one or two out of the swarm will hit rather than the slot simply being a waste as the one missiles simply gets demolished by a CD or flak. That's not to say these will be invulnerable, infact the swarm would be mostly useless against flaks, and with it's low damage it'd be ineffective at engaging battlecruisers/battleships effectively anyway, unless you're trying to blow guns off or something.

I merely want to make a missile weapon that's not rendered useless immediately, but maybe I'm just entirely stupid. Tell me what you think.
I think if you stop mucking about with things, they wouldn't become useless.
And this is what happens when you serve yourselves.

But aye, why not if it'll work for a spell.
BC apoks for example in really nice,just any missile weapon require massing, which cutted by developers. You think in right direction, because rockets is life, we need more.
[Image: 1.jpg]
Btw, i tbh doubt bcr need more missile weapon against cruisers and gb, because they have annihilate everything secondaries and devastating primes in anti cruiser\gb range to deal with it. Also that missile looks like as bcr PPAC, but missile based.
Also bcr in most situations chase light vessel, so even javelins have no real counter from enemy side.(if enemy dont have designated CD unit)
(08-12-2018, 09:03 PM)DarkTails Wrote: [ -> ]0.55 Turn Rate

You'll be hard-pressed to hit gunboats with that turning rate. Light cruisers can dodge rather well as well.

Keep in mind the Predator missile is .55 and deals 150,000 hull damage.

Unless the ammo count of the multi-launch is exorbitantly high, the Predator will probably always be the better choice.

DISCLAIMER: I always want more missiles, space should be missile hell
My primary issue is the missiles are extremely easy to negate unless swarmed by them, which is essentially the idea behind the new launcher. I can't say much for the missile count, I'm not wise on the workings and balancing of missiles, but I see the same issue whenever missiles are fielded. Flaks and CDs render firing them useless and a waste of powercore. Like I said, the stats were a rough draft, the idea is to make the missiles good enough to tackle lighter craft with their weapons without making them so powerful they replace silencer gunboats with swarm missile BCs. Maybe something like this would be better.

10,000 hull/per
5,000 shield/per
Range: 3000m
Speed: 220m/s
Refire: 0.07
Turnrate: 0.80

That way it's good enough to hit it's primary targets, without becoming the next anti-snub swarm weapon. Like I said, I'm no way experienced in weapons creation, this is my first idea at such even.

Original post edited to reflect these stats.
It does sound like a fancy idea. I would definitely mount one on a Coalition BC and call it CPW-Katyusha if it ever makes it in/
It's a cute idea. But you will drive all the snubwhores on your neck, and I don't think you would get rid of them by booping them.
Well, that's something I don't want tbh. Hence why they woudn't have the tracking power to just wipe snubs, the main reasoning behind the idea is to provide a missile that's not so easily made useless like most others are. The tricky part, for me anyway, is balancing the tracking so they don't work well vs snubs while still making them good enough to hit gunboats.
They should also have a short explosion radius, so that exploding near a snubswarm doesn't detonate all the snubs.
nvm