Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Pirate ID and Edge Worlds Tech
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, and if it is not, I apologize.

As you know, the Pirate ID lacks a variety of hull damaging weapons for the fighter class. Currently, only two Flashpoints and Purple Goddess weapons are at 100%, all with fast refires. That is three guns. I compare it to Freelancer ID and there is 11 weapons to choose from for them. Not to mention all the other less pvp oriented factions like house trading corps, they have more than three usually (yes, I know EFL has two weapons). For some variety, I really think our Pirate ID needs more weapons.

Edge World weapons are generic and are available to many factions. There is an ex RoS aligned base in Omega 7 called Ithaca Base that is now Pirate aligned.

It would make sense for these pirates to know how to maintain the ex RoS equipment better than even other factions that got access to them. Now, I do not really mind if another tech like House Civilian is made available at 100% to Pirates instead and I have no preference for the Edge World equipment but, with the lore of the base as it is, wouldn't it make perfect sense for these pirates to be able to handle RoS weapons?
Well, I can see where you are coming from. I, myself, like variety. But here is the thing...
If we introduce more weapons, for balance's sake, they would have to be more or less THE SAME in specs. Meaning, their main difference would be their animation, nothing else.
Otherwise, if Pirates have different-specced weapons, people will end up using the most powerful ones and just forget about the rest.
So, once again, they would end up with virtually the same limited choice!

Factions, on the other hand, have different specs on their weapons, with smaller factions having more powerful weapons, to compensate for the lack of manpower and system ZOI restrictions.
Example - Xenos, Bundschuh. They have a small ZOI, limited ships and low population, so they get powerful weapons (generally speaking).

Pirate ID is generic, on the other hand. Limitless ZOI, free-roaming, plundering and shooting pretty much anything, including other pirates.
So thats why, they get limited weapons. If they got lots of variety, they would still use the most powerful choice, for PvP's sake.
And you can see where this is going.

SOLUTION: get friendly with a faction, SRP a request for their guns and make your character work for you.
I keep hearing from people that it is great to finally have a true pirate faction around. If I hear this often enough, isn't that an indication that maybe the ID isn't viable enough to be played often?

Unless if this is what is being aimed, curbing interest in Pirate ID to the point barely anybody wants to play it in favor of other IDs, shouldn't that be altered in a way?

I do not yet know if the Edge World equipment are so much better than the Flashpoints or the Purple Gun, but the lore of the RoS survivors is there, and it would make sense for them to be able to maintain them. I thought I'd share this with you in case you missed it.
Freelancer and Pirate IDs can only managaging a meagre 75% on these items is silly. There is literally no reason why GENERIC IDs can't use GENERIC tech like this. It's not as if Freelancers and Indie Pirates in the Edge Worlds don't exist. This shouldn't be a balance issue, I don't see why it would be. It's a gaping hole in logic.
In plain words, this mod revolves around factions to drive the storyline. Generic ID players are a cast of "support" characters in this. Main focus will always be Factions.

Me, personally, I like to stay away from factions as much as humanly possible, because I like the "freelancer" aspect of the game (be it pirate, merc, independent miner, freelancer).

Now, you are on a crossroads - what exactly do you want?
- Do you want a certain faction's guns? If so, get close relationships with them and apply for a SRP ID;
- Do you want to start your OWN faction of pirates? If so, go ahead and do it. You might want to get friendly with the faction you want guns off, once again. If you want UNIQUE guns for your faction, prepare for AT LEAST 2 years of hard work to obtain that. You'd have to keep your faction away from sanctions AND have stellar roleplay AND still have activity at the end of the period, to get that.
- Do you just want MORE civilian guns variety? If so, then create concepts for that, present them to the balance devs and start a discussion with them to see what can be done.

In all cases, the ball is in YOUR court to do the appropriate thing, to get what you want. Be creative and be specific in exactly what you want. And of course, use reason behind it all.
I 'get it', sir. Yet, I am not sure if you read what I write.

Please do not treat players as completely oblivious fools that do not know what you have wrote already. The Edge World tech is already generic and is available to many factions. Are they aimed to give a pvp advantage to these factions, or are they there just for variety?

What I am asking you is not to create a new civilian gun for me, but to make what is already generic enough and is available to many factions just for the sake of variety to be available to us as well. I do not want a faction's guns. I want a generic gun.

If you read this and understand, and still disagree, than okay. I do not mind.
If you feel you are being treated as a fool, that's fine by me - you are free to feel however you like. I can see nothing insulting in my post.

(09-08-2018, 03:52 PM)Wu Wei Wrote: [ -> ]The Edge World tech is already generic and is available to many factions. Are they aimed to give a pvp advantage to these factions, or are they there just for variety?

They are a remnant of a deleted faction, meant for variety's sake (and requested by the community as such).
Now, if the problem is with their techcell being 75% or 90% just for PirateID, then that can be discussed with the balance team.

Here is the Development Team Structure: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=132847
I have no idea whether it's current, but try contacting somebody from the balance team by PM and discuss this.
(09-08-2018, 04:26 PM)eigos Wrote: [ -> ]If you feel you are being treated as a fool, that's fine by me - you are free to feel however you like. I can see nothing insulting in my post.

You edited your post so, indeed. But the first version I saw and replied to was different, just as you know.

But anyway, I get where you're coming from.
Well, i honestly dont think RoS guns really generic, its black OC guns and factions which got them already had some things like it, and some inRP relation to RoS iirc.

Probably it possible make them in generic pirate line tho, anyway this guns not opie or even aesthetical.
I don't get why nobody is talking about the House civilian guns which ought to be perfectly usable at 90%.