Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Tutorial] Cloak Engine Alert Sound Editing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How to alter the cloaking sound yourself

With the latest updates, the cloak "rumble" sound has changed. It used to be some spooky wind noise, now it is a very penetrant beeping sound. Many people are actually using their own sounds as replacement, simply because editing sounds files is not considered cheating, so everyone is free to do so. Here you'll see how easy it is to replace the sound, together with a few sample sounds.

Note: Patches might overwrite your edited sounds, so you should always have a folder with back-ups of your custom sounds. Also, these sound alterations will only be audible in your local version of Discovery. Other people will hear whatever sound they have in their installation assigned.

Step 1: Get your favourite cloak sound file. Make sure it is a .wav file. You can convert sound files online if necessary, just google "sound converter tool online".

Step 2: Find your Discovery Freelancer folders. Go to \DATA\AUDIO\SOUNDS\ENGINES.

Step 3: Locate "jumpdrive_survey.wav" - this is the file you want to replace. Make a back-up of it if you want, and simply paste your file here, delete the old jumpdrive_survey.wav and rename your file to jumpdrive_survey.wav. Done. You don't even need to restart Freelancer to have the change happen in the game.

The sound starts to play continuously the moment any cloaked vessel is in range of 3.000M of your ship. Note that this starts to play once the model/hitbox enters the radius, not the center of the model. If you are, for example, flying a battleship and are cloaked, people will not only hear your cloak from 3K but already at 3.5K, depending on the size of your ship. A cloaked Nephilim might even trigger the sound already at 4K, depending on how it is aligned to you.

Cloak Sounds

>> Download

The rar folder linked here contains around ten cloak sounds that will work perfectly fine in Discovery. Follow the instructions above and replace the old one with your favourite.

Also, if you take the first letter of of each word in the title, you get CEASE. I'm brilliant. Yes, there are two sounds that are the same.
I am personally fond of this one by .
Nice tutorial and it can be usefoul for newbies , if they manage to find it , which makes me wonder :
Why developers dont make anti-cloak sound loud and clear as default option for every new player who install Discovery ? Angel
Alternatively, if you want the old cloak sound back, you can copy the ship_cushion.wav from DATA\AUDIO\SOUNDS\FX, rename it to jumpdrive_survey.wav and paste it into DATA\AUDIO\SOUNDS\ENGINES
I like using this one http://www.trekcore.com/audio/cloaking/c...omulan.mp3
If any Star Trek lovers want to replace some sounds, here's the page I am using http://www.trekcore.com/audio/.
I'm also using the Red Alert sound on some of the other things. Also, I wonder if you can change the "charge engine" when you press cruise engines with the Warp engines sounds.
Thank you for this sombra. Btw, is the same sound file used for when you are also cloaked,or is it possible to have different sounds for your own cloak and for the cloak alert?
Nope. The cloak plug-in plays the cloak sound whenever ANY ship is within cloak range, no matter if it is yourself or any other ship. The more ships are in the area, the higher the volume of the sound. So, whenever you are cloaked and the sound gets louder than usual, you can be sure there is another person cloaked.
Now I just need to find a good sound file, thinking something like a submarine sonar ping
https://youtu.be/iIhNEgBc66A <- Should be good enough : )
How do I increase the volume? My sound is super quiet even though the file is LOUD.
Pages: 1 2