Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Anyone up for remodelling the Resheph?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the current Order Recon Cruiser (Resheph) was modeled by Jinx, and while I give him some serious props for all the ships that he's put into Disco in the past, this is one that I always thought was very subpar in quality. Part of the issue is that, while it does follow the appearance and stylization of the Osiris (and the Geb), some parts of the model dont make a lot of sense and look rushed or improperly done.

[Image: 5mDHisf.png]

So first I'll point out the parts I dont like:

1. The "heat sink fins" coming out of the top center of the ship are too prominent, and too tall. Because there's no support inbetween them, they look very flimsy and out of place. Compare them to the heat sinks on the Osiris:
[Image: Or_osiris.png]

That little box under the heat sinks makes all the difference, and gives them a less pronounced arch, looking more like part of the ship rather than a stuck-on afterthought.

2. The "Dome" behind the heat sinks looks oversized and, again, out of place. Look at the dome on the osiris above, primarily the window height compared to the dome size itself. The osiris also has some detailing/greeblies added to the top of the dome, and a wider base on the bottom of the dome (also angled outwards) which make it appear bulkier and more detailed. The dome on the Resheph is an absolute eyesore.

Additionally, it should be noted that on the Osiris it appears as if that dome is at least in part the command bridge for the ship, with a clear line of sight between the heat sink fins. It looks much less clean on the resheph, as the whole thing is skinnier and the fins dont have much room to see between. It seems like Jinx put an additional flat bridge section on the front of the resheph to make up for this, but that section is so low that it cant realistically see over the raised bump on the nose of the ship and the antennas that are included on it.

3. The windows coming out of the sides of the engine reactor dont make any sense, and greatly detract from the appearance of the ship, especially since they stick quite far out from the sides. Look at the Osiris once again - there are no windows on the engines, all crew compartments are towards the mid section of the ship, with the engines and 'ramming wedge' on the front being unmanned areas.

4. The struts and other architecture underneath the main body of the Resheph do not serve any apparent purpose, and take away from the sleek look you get with the osiris having a clean underbelly.

Now, the things I -do- like about the resheph model:

The antennae and focus on a high tech, communications and reconaissance focused appearance are definitely standout points. This ship is supposed to be out there on the edges of Order space (or hiding on the edges of house space) scanning communications, fleet movements, and anything else of importance. I love that this ship looks like a mobile command center.

If anyone is up to the task of remodeling the Resheph, keep in mind the points above as well as the following changes:

1. The Resheph needs to appear more stealthy. The antennae sticking out are find, but the general shape of the ship as a stealth recon cruiser should be more angular and sleek. Some form of emission-reducing shielding around the engine reactor would be welcome as well.

2. In place of the 'dome', I'd like to see something like a radar disc/dish or scanner system. Think of something like the AWACS radar assembly https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/...75x440.jpg

3. The material of the hull should be a little more advanced looking, still decidedly liberty/order styled but maybe slightly darker and with less obtrusions that would make it easier to pick up on radar (not that that's a thing, but stealth craft tend to have as little as possible sticking out of the ship).

4. Visible modeling for the four countermeasure hardpoints would be nice, rather than simply having them tacked on with the basic freelancer countermeasure models (by this I mean the same way that some bombers have modeled torpedo tubes that the torpedo hardpoints are inside of). The countermeasure systems on this ship should look quite advanced compared to what most ships use.

5. A more prominent bridge towards the upper-front of the ship should be included. We have these beautiful capship cockpit designs now, it'd be nice to have a bridge that realistically makes use of them.