Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Un/Hackable things (clarification?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I wouldn't even think that actual Nomad "ships" have "weapons". It's just part of them, you know, spitting out energy to damage human/AI ships. As such those adapted Nomad weapons is as odd as Jump Drives being introduced into the game without explanation.
It's a difference between replicating the small pea-shooting Adapted Guns, because the material for those has been out there en masse for centuries and to some groups even longer. The Nomad BS weapons you probably want to SRP for your Ranseur are another thing, as they are technically super-rare, super-complex and super-new. I mean, even to the nomads they are freshly developed.

Don't put too much value on Sean's word, by the way. He might be an admin, but Hannibal also once was one. They are mere humans. If anything you should care for the word of the story/infocard devs and the nomad HCs. Foxglove and Huggie would be the best people to ask.
(10-04-2018, 08:57 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't even think that actual Nomad "ships" have "weapons". It's just part of them, you know, spitting out energy to damage human/AI ships. As such those adapted Nomad weapons is as odd as Jump Drives being introduced into the game without explanation.

I'd disagree. Adapted weapons are just a way to mimic that firepower via a means that eorks on human ships. Also they're pretty well enough explained in their infocard.

Still waiting for them to get buffed tho. For class 9s,they're definitively worse than codenames.
Sombra, Lyth.

I see your points. They're valid and i agree =). But still, would it be possible to let's say, mimic trade lanes?
Just because you can make a slingshot doesn't mean you can make a car. Just because you can "grow" guns in labs doesn't mean you can make gates and lanes. Different technologies of different complexity, even if both are (more or less) of alien origin.

Ageira's technology originates from Valhalla 1, captured, secured and kept away from anyone else other than LibGov and Ageira. Their products, from which the tech could possibly be reverse engineered, are protected with anti-tamper mechanisms to prevent said reverse engineering.

EFL (originally Solar) had something similar, because the idea of junkers just stealing what nobody else could and selling it to Gallia was found to be stupid and eventually got retconned. They do have the same proprietary product protection. Nobody, but them and GalGov have access to that technology.

Attempts to replicate that has been made and failed in the past, one notable example I can recall from memory is Kishiro trying to develop their own version of the trade lane and gate system.

Is it clear now?
Possible but unlikely. There is a good reason why only Ageira, in-lore, is contracted to do these things. I don't know whether IRG inRP is also able to do so.
(10-04-2018, 09:11 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]Possible but unlikely. There is a good reason why only Ageira, in-lore, is contracted to do these things. I don't know whether IRG inRP is also able to do so.

I find it unlikely that Nomads cannot be eradicated but hey, we all make up stuff to play without constant fear of being made obsolete.
And I find it unlikely that Ageira is so super-duper clever that they managed to keep their stuff protected perfectly from other companies for round 800 years. Nevertheless I roll with it without being butthurt.
(10-04-2018, 09:25 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]And I find it unlikely that Ageira is so super-duper clever that they managed to keep their stuff protected perfectly from other companies for round 800 years. Nevertheless I roll with it without being butthurt.

It's actually less than that but okay.

Also, next time do use quote function so people don't confuse who you reply to. I thought you replied to Thyrzul.
While people are busy cherry picking, allow me to fill in the gaps.

I told Shadow that unlike Ageira tradelane tech, which is canonically unhackable and highly protected technology, with story dev sign off as such, there is no such thing for the nomads.

The comparison that they can be grown in a lab was used due to the fact that to my knowledge, the only reason people never recover much from a dead nomad is that they are organic shells that simply take too much damage being subdued and lose all the special parts people would want 90% of the time.

Additionally, there was a time that Nomads were without shields. Also to my knowledge, the fact that player nomads have shields is due to balance, not Roleplay. Theoretically, nomads inrp do not have shields, which would lead to any remains of theirs being massively damaged in exchanges between humans and nomads.

Despite all this, Nomads are not supposedly packed with technology designed to prevent a human from picking through them and reverse engineering what they like. This doesn't mean that you'd be finding nomad weapons in the hands of everyone, because there are still other concerns to getting them, like nomads trying to kill you.

Also:

Quote:Small MightYesterday at 6:27 PM
Because nomads aren't encrypted pieces of hardware designed to kill themselves if anything touches them in the slightest wrong way
Pages: 1 2 3 4