Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Catalepsy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: avatar_16142.png?dateline=1482266913]

Where do I start?

Mason's deep voice hummed through the room as he placed his elaborate Scotch glass on the wooden storage table next to himself.

Anywhere, really.

Asked the young man sitting on the armchair opposite. He was holding a device in his hands with which he wrote down key points. His eyes were on Mason and he stared expectantly.

Hardly, that would be too extensive, even for you.

Mason replied after he turned his attention back to the young man.

Well then. . . then please start when you got the assignment, you know, the details and everything, are you allowed to say that?

The young man asked with great interest. Mason thought for a few seconds and emptied the already half-empty Scotch glass. An atypical, very short smile spread across his face, gently lowering the glass and pouring himself another one in the same move.

Of course, I. . . He paused for a moment. I believe I can publish this information.

Oh, good, good.

Said the man delighted and adjusted his sitting position to a more upright one.

Then you have my full attention now.

The assignment seemed rather uncomplicated, we, a squadron of four ships was tasked to extract a target from a guarded facility in the Sigmas, Sigma-21, to be precise.

The man stared at his device, focusing on noting everything down that Mason had said. He adjusted his glasses for a moment, a raising eyebrow followed as he looked up to interrupt him.

Sigma-21? There's a war going on right now, isn't there? How come you had to venture that far out?

Simple. We received a call from one of our whistleblowers nearby. Apparently, one of our three informants have been abducted and there was a whitness. We were tasked to retrieve the abducted informant before any valuable information would seep to the public.

Mason answered this question bluntly, not even changing the look on his face despite this question being sensitive. The man's look turned surprised as it turned more excited. He didn't expect to receive such disclosed information and thus, continued to dig for more.

Did you know where the informant was being kept?

He continued to ask, very curious about the answer. Mason noticed the excitement in the young man's expression and kept on explaining.

We followed a trace. It led us to the Mekong cloud. We had to avoid numerous patrols of Kusari and Rheinland ships.

He held the glass in his hands and swayed it back and forth while examining the gaze of the man.

Mhm... Kusari ships... Rheinland ships... got it. And what did you find?

He looked up again as he finished the new key point.

Despite our doubts about succeeding, we did stumble upon a station which seemed to be abandoned, except for the life support systems still being activated. That led us to believe that the abducted informant had been transported to this station.

He took a quaff from his drink. The expression on Mason's face slowly turned a bit more serious.

Did you enter?

Of course we did.

And what did you find?

Mason took a deep breath and looked down on the floor yet continued speaking as if his eyes were glued to the wooden ground.

Well... the station had an interesting layout.

The young man refrained from typing down further information at the very moment.

Layout, you say?

He looked at Mason with a confused glance. He, however, grew another smirk onto his face, just as small and hardly noticeable as the first time. Only this time it looked intriguing.

Yes, we eventually found our contact, in some way, we did.

Mason started to slow down his speech. The young man, who was in the middle of typing down another point, had to pause in the middle of it. He looked at Mason with a slightly annoyed look.

Be more precise, please, Mr. Chandler. Our readers prefer to have clear stories brought to them instead of this guessing scenario.

Mason stood up from his seat and walked to the nearby desk, out of which he took a bottle of another liquid.

May I offer you a drink?

He asked politely and filled up a glass with the water-like beverage. The man laid down his device and followed Chandler, he positioned himself in front of the desk.

No, thank you, Sir. I would prefer if you continue sharing your story, that is what I am here for, after all.

Mason let out a short, laugh-like sigh and looked inside the glass he just poured for the man.

You know. You are right, that is what you are here for. I must admit, I really enjoyed our conversation, just what I needed.

He nodded towards the man and then walked past him, leaving him in complete confusion. He shook his head, trying to realize what just happened.

Mr. Chandler, you still haven't finished the story, I must ask for you to complete it, otherwise the article won't be complete.

His voice turned desperate, he made his way back to the device, hoping to squeeze the very last bit of the story Mason was about to tell. He, however already reached the door and put his hand on the pad that was required to open the door. Instead of opening it, he closed the door, resulting in a relatively loud "beep" tone, signaling the door was locked.

What are you doing?

The young man became slightly terrified, the questionable behavior of Mr. Chandler combined with the closed door made him become nervous.

You wanted your interview, I was just going to tell you the rest of the assignment.

The young man's vision started to play tricks on him as he looked at Mason. Suddenly the lights in the room began pulsating randomly. He blinked in an attempt to get rid of the distortion, followed by him taking off his glasses.

Are you alright?

Mason asked in a calm manner and slowly walked towards him as if nothing happened at this moment. The man tripped and fell to the floor, his glasses broke on impact and the pulsating lights were now combined with blurry vision. Mason, who had reached the man by now. Kneeled down next to the man, still maintaining his calm motions.

If you want to finish your article, you should listen, Sir.

The man couldn't reply, the sounds he received from Mason's voice were muffled heavily, as if he was drowning. A tinnitus approached, blurring over Mason's voice. He covered his ears with his hands and shut his eyes forcefully but nothing helped. He sweated heavily, he was petrified by what was happening around him, his senses were completely overloaded and his head started hurting so horribly.

Sir.

Mason said calmly, shaking the head of the man gently, no effect.

Suddenly, everything fell into silence for him. His senses gave up and he passed out. For a brief second, there was a sign of relief within his body.

Sir!

Yelled Mason, who aggressively started to choke the man. Just as his powerful hands grabbed the young man's throat, he woke up again, the first thing to be seen - Mason's face, but it was different, his voice sounded distorted as if two people's voices aligned. One of them being his own and the other one sounding sick and evil. His eyes penetrated the ones of the man and he felt a heavy shock from within, the same one would feel if someone shocked you.

Please... help me!

The man mewled with the rest of his powers.

I will.

Mason responded calmly. The image of him right above the young man's head seemed to fade away.

I will.

The image became more and more distant, Mason's voice turned lower and lower with every moment passing in front of the man's eyes.

I will.

Now the image became blurrier and blurrier, his voice drowned in the silence and the picture receded into darkness while the man's eyes wouldn't close, they remained open with an empty stare that would never fade.