Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Transforming all Trade Lanes to Right/Left
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reasons include:

1. Convenience - no more getting into the wrong level.

2. Consistency - Right/Left is natural to most of us due to road usage.

3. Historical stereotype - Bretonia and Kusari could have left/right to mimic their own traffic differences.

Possible? Discuss.
Absolutely, it's something that has been bothering me since vanilla Freelancer. It would make travelling in lanes much easier in nebulas and in general.
I second the bit about lanes in nebulas. It would also make arranging lanes simple and easy, since no matter how many lanes meet up at certain junctions, you would always proceed to the same side instead of "OK - Do I need to go up, or down?" I recall at one point the devs took it upon themselves to better streamline a lot of lane junctions a few years ago. Unfortunately, a few junctions still have you criss-crossing to dock with the proper facing of each lane. Right/Left Lanes would solve that issue!

I suppose we could make the lanes slightly different in Bretonia and Kusari, but I'm all for making things uniform everywhere. Even if its decided that the entire game has you "driving" on the left side of the road (which would be weird at first for a guy from the States), I'd be happy with them being consistent, especially in border world areas where suddenly the lanes could shift directions between Houses (Kepler and Cortez, for example).

In a three-dimensional game where two-dimensional thinking is encouraged via placement of most vanilla assets on-plane with everything else, who came up with the idea of top/bottom trade lanes?

I know this would be a small thing, but it might be another thing to make Discovery stand apart from other Freelancer mods (Not that many others are really alive, but still!).
I think the problem is the amount of work this would require, if I'm not mistaken it would mean going into every system in the game files and manually changing the trade lanes out one at a time. Not sure that's feasible.
It's possible to write a script that replaces ascii entries, you know.
(10-05-2018, 04:28 PM)Tenacity Wrote: [ -> ]I think the problem is the amount of work this would require, if I'm not mistaken it would mean going into every system in the game files and manually changing the trade lanes out one at a time. Not sure that's feasible.
I'm no developer, but I think it would only be a question of making a new trade lane model and just replacing all current trade lanes models with the left/right ones
It's simple with the current lanes to know which sides, top or bottom to use. The lanes have two types of lights. Green is the good side and red is for the side where come the ships from the place you would like to go if you have the lanes in front of you.
(10-05-2018, 04:54 PM)Blackwings Wrote: [ -> ]It's simple with the current lanes to know which sides, top or bottom to use. The lanes have two types of lights. Green is the good side and red is for the side where come the ships from the place you would like to go if you have the lanes in front of you.

It would be simple if the lanes were "dock with right side always" instead of "Look at the lights or map to see where to dock, also you are all out of luck if the lane was downed while you were in the system or can't open the map due to being nailed by laser shots from your foes"
You wouldn't need to doa thing to the system files. Just replace the model, and they'll all be right. I'd keep the Sirian lanes the same everywhere, as Ageira builds and maintains all of them. Jist make them opposite from Gallic lanes.

As to justifying the change in-RP, don't. The lanes are horizontal. The lanes have always been horizontal. Report anyone who says otherwise to your local Mental Readjustment Center immediately.
I'm pretty sure changing some numbers in the ini files would be easier than designing new models and changing names, paths and likely the very same numbers in those ini files. The first option requires only Notepad, a few brain cells and patience.
Pages: 1 2 3 4