Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer ID
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im sick of people attacking me because of my military ID, but i cant seem to buy a Freelancer ID. Ive tried doing missions for bounty hunters and zoners, but nothing gives me the option to buy one.

Just a few things would help:

Where can i buy them? (Some where in Liberty would be preferable)

What do i have to do to get one?

What is it like having one?
Do can you basically remain neutral with other players? ("allies none" and "enemies none" kind of suggests this)

Could i buy a Liberty Gunboat with one?
If so, what restrictions would i face e.g. traveling?

Is there some thing better than i Freelancer ID i could get that lets me buy a gunboat but doesnt get me involved in some war?

Yes, i know i ask alot of questions, but i am relatively new here.

Even if you can answer just one of these questions, it would help alot.

Thanks.

(Optional Help)

Off topic i know, but does any one have advice on how to make money? Im currently mining copper in copperton, colerado and selling it to peublo station for about 90,000 a trip. (every 10-20 mins)

Thanks again.
I believe they're sold on Planet Houston. Need to be friendly with the LPI, I think.

A Liberty Gunboat probably wouldn't be an option unless you wrote up a good reason to have it and put in a Special RP request.

A tagless freelancer, or one with a Freelancer tag (somewhat difficult to obtain) can remain pretty much neutral to everyone if he wants and doesn't do anything to affect that neutrality. Still, hanging around Crete might make the Corsairs antsy if they don't know you, and just because you're a freelancer doesn't mean no one can bother you if they have reason. Hanging around unlawful bases in lawful gunboats won't make you friends.
Planet Houston should be the closest place to buy a Freelancer ID.

Quote:Do can you basically remain neutral with other players? ("allies none" and "enemies none" kind of suggests this)

Well, sort of. Usually when someone's ID is Freelancer, people look at their IFF and ship/weapons/etc. If you're corporate tagged with a Freelancer ID, it'd be more like someone working on their own with strong ties. The same if you're using specific ships. Obviously if you're using, say, a Corsair ship, you have ties with them and thus the Hessians might not take kindly to it.

Quote:Could i buy a Liberty Gunboat with one?
If so, what restrictions would i face e.g. traveling?

I'd say you'd have to work something out with the Liberty governmental types. I don't think they'd sell their technology to just anyone, but gunboat wise there are other choices that could work for a more freelance person.

Travel wise, if you had a Liberty Gunboat, obviously unlawful types wouldn't trust you and Rheinland would be a no go. Or if you had, say, an IMG Gunboat, Outcasts wouldn't particularly think highly of you.

Quote:Off topic i know, but does any one have advice on how to make money? Im currently mining copper in copperton, colerado and selling it to peublo station for about 90,000 a trip. (every 10-20 mins)

A good deal of people go with trading. If you prefer mining and such I do believe the area around Bornholm pays much better for scrap metal. You know how much Junkers like scrap metal after all.
Let's see.

Planet Houston, yes. You can get it there, but you need very good LPI rep.

I'd advise a Zoner IFF if you're in a combat ship (fighter, bomber, gunboat) and you don't wnat to go through the excessive work for a Freelancer IFF. It's easily explained away and almost entirely non-objectionable. Junker could also work, if you don't mind the corporations not liking you.

All gunboats are tricky for a freelancer, but the most generic ones are IMG Gunboat (Outcasts are a bit touchy, but we won't all be threatening you immediately given the IMG's nature) and Kusari Explorer (questioned in Bretonia, but not a kill-on-sight thing).

House gunboats (the Explorer's a special case) will noticeably restrict your operations, because houses have very clear enemies and allies. You can go just about anywhere, but I can't guarantee you'll go there safely.

If you want something a bit less generic, but still mostly safe, consider an Orca for a lawful or Rogue Gunboat for an unlawful.

You could also consider a transport - the house transports and Pirate Transport have a surprising amount of firepower. Not quite enough to reliably bring down gunboats, but flown well they can drop fighters pretty well and even some bombers. And unlike gunships, transports don't get questioned as quickly.

Freelancers gather a reputation as individuals - if you do enough work with the Liberty Navy, the Liberty lawfuls will get to know and trust you, and the local unlawfuls will get to know and shoot you.
Hmm, i see, and here was me thinking that this would be simple. Thanks for the help on the ID, i'll be checking that out in a moment, but by the sounds of it, i might have to go with a differnt ID. Well, i guess if i want a Liberty Gunboat, im either going to have to join the Navy, or build up a good reputation with them. Or there is the Orca gunboat, it doesnt look to bad i supose..

Oh well, i'll figure it out, but for now, i guess im going to have to cope with being hunted by Rouge Gunships and those pesky Xenos during my mining trips.

Thanks alot guys, i'll see you in space.