Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Being robbed counts as dying? & Where's the line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This doesn't make sense to me, someone just got sanctioned for logging in as another char after not being killed but pirated? The rule says the player KILLED can't reengage doesn't it?

In other words if I'm playing my trader and he gets pirated and I pay, no combat and noone dies or flees. I then fly off and a few minutes later log in with say a bounty hunter or police char and go rp an engagement with said pirate I'm breaking a sanctionable rule here?
You're not allowed to kill for revenge. This has been sanctioned many times over. You can't log onto another character and kill someone who offended another character of yours. RP it a little, put a bounty on his sorry hide. Even other bounty hunters can't kill him if you haven't posted it on the forums.
' Wrote:You're not allowed to kill for revenge. This has been sanctioned many times over. You can't log onto another character and kill someone who offended another character of yours. RP it a little, put a bounty on his sorry hide. Even other bounty hunters can't kill him if you haven't posted it on the forums.

I guess I don't see the problem with "revenge killing" as long as it's in rp for the char used. I agree that a killed player shouldn't be able to do this but I just can't see why I shouldn't be able to do so after being pirated. As far as rp is concerned it's another person altogether engaging said pirate after being informed of their presence by the victim. So many players have chars on both sides of the law it seems silly to worry about this particular action and I think it's just another nitpicky rule that stifles the game a little.
if every trader went after every pirate that pirated them (sucessfuly). It would constatly be a string of player death notices. It's bad roleplay, and frankly, bad form. They got you, be done with it. all you can do now is file a 'police report' and/or put up a bounty (which would cost you more, but inconvienence them). And who's to say that this trader doesn't come back in a capitol ship? Its a pain in the butt. Most pirates will let you off for about 2-4 hours after you've "donated" to them. letting you continue your trade run in relative safety.

----

I really wanted to make this sound eliquent... but I'm writing this at 2 in the morning where I live... so bear with me.
' Wrote:I guess I don't see the problem with "revenge killing" as long as it's in rp for the char used. I agree that a killed player shouldn't be able to do this but I just can't see why I shouldn't be able to do so after being pirated. As far as rp is concerned it's another person altogether engaging said pirate after being informed of their presence by the victim. So many players have chars on both sides of the law it seems silly to worry about this particular action and I think it's just another nitpicky rule that stifles the game a little.
It's not a nitpicky rule. When a person gets pirated they either deal with it & write it off as a cost of doing business & move on, or they hire someone to go bloodhounding for the pirate & write off the Hunters fee as another cost of doing business.

Going for a revenge kill is not justifiable within RP because it is a massive conflict of interest.

Getting pirated on occasion is simply the nature of the beast for a trader, & if revenge killing were allowed, everyone would do it, & would lead us all down the path to anarchy.

So, please don't do it...the pain of sanction will be more intense than the pleasure of revenge
' Wrote:Going for a revenge kill is not justifiable within RP because it is a massive conflict of interest.

I agree totally, as a trader it is your role to evade pirates, run, fight or just pay up when caught and I have done all four at one time or another.

If everyone who gets caught immediately logs on to another player and starts taking revenge we will have total anarchy on the server.

It's good sportmanship to take it on your chin when you've been beaten and go and pick a character somewhere else in the galaxy while you cool off.
' Wrote:I guess I don't see the problem with "revenge killing" as long as it's in rp for the char used.

In other words: The bad pirate got me, now it is time for vengeance.
And this is nothing else as to search a specific person for a PVP-match.

Need i say more?
Since we're here, I have a question that is not really on topic, but does have some connection with this.

Anyways, say I am in the following situation:

I am someone with an ID that allows interdiction of smuggled goods, does not matter which one.
I proceed to stop a suspected smuggler, and he does not respond to my hails or openly declares that he will run and that I can do nothing about it.
I RP that I am notifying the authorities in the next system over my comms to set up a mini-dragnet for his capture, and request a patrol to converge on his predicted location in the other system.

I then switch to a ship that is in the other system, and RP that I am the dispatched patrol, and stop the smuggler and do what I do.

Now, is this allowed, seeing that I kinda switch to another character during a player interaction.
Just wondering if I can do this, seems like a potential tactic, but I want to run it by the admins here to check it's validity.
' Wrote:I am someone with an ID that allows interdiction of smuggled goods, does not matter which one.
I proceed to stop a suspected smuggler, and he does not respond to my hails or openly declares that he will run and that I can do nothing about it.
I RP that I am notifying the authorities in the next system over my comms to set up a mini-dragnet for his capture, and request a patrol to converge on his predicted location in the other system.
I then switch to a ship that is in the other system, and RP that I am the dispatched patrol, and stop the smuggler and do what I do.

...hmmm... well, i am no Admin, but in this (constructed) Situation it seems to like the same Story with changed manners:
In this case, the smuggler is caught and had to take the consequences... that is, in my opinion, he had to
pay the price for his "mistake", whatever high it is. Know what i mean?
In the cases above, the trader gets caught... now, its the pirate who gets caught. So, it seems ok to stop the smuggler, cause he is (in a RP) damaging your house...seems fair to me.
Again, i am no Admin, just a thought....
' Wrote:Since we're here, I have a question that is not really on topic, but does have some connection with this.

Anyways, say I am in the following situation:

I am someone with an ID that allows interdiction of smuggled goods, does not matter which one.

Now, is this allowed, seeing that I kinda switch to another character during a player interaction.
Just wondering if I can do this, seems like a potential tactic, but I want to run it by the admins here to check it's validity.

It would make sense that this would be okay, as long as an engagement did not take place between you and the smuggler in the first system.

And before someone says "Metagaming!" it isn't because in-RP, other units in other systems would know of a potential smuggler escaping, as it would be on the comm frequencies.
Pages: 1 2 3