Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Backo's thoughts on T-29 event
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So the Tau-29 event between the Outcasts and Crayter has kept my mind for a couple of days now. I kind of want to lay out my thoughts and see if anyone else sees things the same way or not so here goes...

To start with the premise, around Monday morning I joined the Outcast event chat on Discord, not really knowing what it was about. I had been somewhat absent from Discovery as of late due to lack of interest and things to do around here. At first, totally forgetting Basilica was the Dreadnought I thought this was some PoB defense chat. Eventually, due to me being bored and at home due to sick leave, I looked into the whole discord and the event and realized that was the brand new shiny official event. Now I've lately grown to somewhat dislike events (mostly due to being first target in them or them being mostly caps and me liking snubs) so I was very much ready to completely ignore the event and continue my "not playing spree". But then I read that this event will have consequences and due to having my main character in the Outcasts and also leading an Outcast faction I instinctively had the biased urge to not want the Outcasts to lose stuff. This actually prompted me to log and play the game.

Turned out there were other people who were also logging their Outcasts. Some of those people I didn't even know that they had such characters. It also turned out there were more people around with Crayterian ships than I thought as well. I can only imagine they felt the same way about the event as I did. So I logged around when there were other OCs, monitored the Discord, we had a few fights, some we lost and logged off for the time being, some we won and sieged a bit. What truly surprised me was the amount of people that were keeping an eye on things and were willing to log, on a weekday at that (again, I was sick and at home so could log at odd times of the day). This was cool in a way, whenever I logged in Tau-29 I knew I could get into a fight. Contributing to the objective (as in sieging) was way less fun though. But I still regard the fact it was a siege an important aspect, I'll get to it later though.

After one of the evening scraps on monday I think, some of our more devout guys stayed and sieged the base down hard, like siege it down to 35-40%. Meanwhile Basilica was at 75+%. Quite the difference and knowing how long it took us to take it down to 30%, a disheartening one at that. But what happened on the last day was most amazing. Instead of giving up the Crayterians doubled down and brought the biggest fleet I've ever seen (I'll elaborate on the circumstances later). What followed was many hours of back and forth, different tactics, NEMPs, all out rushes, stalls, people returning after the 30 min mark, new tactics. A huge dynamic fight that seemed like it will never see an end. There were stare offs, there was even a point when both sides sieged uninterrupted their respective target. People crunched numbers, planned things, assured each other. I felt drawn to play, because even though it looked like we are very much winning, I wanted it to be ensured, to not let a damn chance it slips us because of me not being there. And then we won that final fight and went to siege the remaining 5% until Helios exploded. Game over, we had won. I logged off as it was late and went to bed happy. And then I had not logged since in the following 2-3 days. There simply was nothing as urgent to force me to, nothing to make me feel drawn and required to be there to see and experience. I also checked the Storta's activity for the event - 9 hours. Most likely all of them from me, across just 2 days.

Okay, so now that I've gone though how things went for me and how it looked in my eyes I'll go through some of the thoughts I had about it all:

Firstly I thought about the whole mechanic of PoB sieging. On one side I hated it, it was boring, dull, I simply alt+tabbed and let my ship shoot as I browse discord, youtube, read stuff for work. But at the same time I doubt it was going to work without a PoB. In a pvp event about kills you can simply log off if you don't feel like you stand a chance. If you're just as competitive about winning, you'd only take fights you're somewhat sure you can win. With a PoB this isn't possible, because every minute you don't fight the enemy, the enemy simply shoots your base and gets closer to winning the event. So in a way I do consider having some negative for not participating as a key factor as to why this event was as big and filled with interactions. Even when Crayter outnumbered us, we had to try and at least cull their numbers a bit before dying and then simply regrouping to retry in 30 minutes or however long it took us to get more people. Whenever we outnumbered Crayter, they also attacked us even when not having the odds to really win. Perhaps I'm wrong but at least to me it really felt the urgency that a PoB siege provides was a key factor as to why so many people had logged.

Of course this isn't taken into account other factors like Panzer's inability to bend a knee or Shooter's mad gamble of 20 billion credits to sponsor indies. Both showed exceptional attitude and where many others would just give up decided to fight to the very end. Kudos to them both for that. I sincerely was worried we might not have this in the bag until the very last fight ended. This made it all so well for me. So their exceptional behavior not to give up and to get other people to help them could have also played a considerable part as to why this event was so populated and not just the fact it was the sense of PoB urgency. I still doubt that if the event was a simple "get more kills", it would've been more pleasant and fun than it was now. And I'm saying that as someone who generally dislikes shooting battleships quite a lot.

Wesker personally claims PoBs bring out the worst in people as you need to ensure all of your fleet survives so they relog the battleships and siege with max people. But personally I've seen plenty of bad behavior when there were kill events as well. There were people sanctioning other people left and right whenever a kill wasn't theirs. There were people trying to deny themselves left and right in as vague as possible way to avoid being punished for it. I even remember a friend being sanctioned for having a stray shot accidentally kill a teammate from 600m distance and through all the chasers he was shooting. I wouldn't say that behavior is much better than the tryhardness of sieges. When people are pushed in a competitive environment they tend to get way more aggressive and some tend to resort to dirty measures to feel victorious one way or another.

Of course I do regard the fact this event kept me positive as I ended up in the side of the victors. I'm not entirely sure how the Crayterians feel, especially all they had given to the very end only to see Helios gone. I can only imagine they don't feel as positive about it as me. Where I am content that Basilica is here to stay, they may or may not (depending if I understood the event) have lost Helios. It sucks to lose something, even if it's just some dock point somewhere, I mean I still feel meh about Kirkwall even though I visited it like once an year at best. Thing is though, I don't remember other events where A and B squared it off in base sieging race that was just event bases. I still think that the consequences part was more important than simply the fact there was an event with bases to siege.

I also thought about Sigma-21 and it's war. It never kicked off from what I was told. There were some fights and then people got bored. It was done. To me it came to be such because of multiple reasons, but some of them contrasted with the event. For instance there was no urgency to log, you weren't putting anything at stake, be it event created PoB or a story asset. Of course it could've also been that KNF/RM don't have as devoted playerbase. Though then we go back to my first point about seeing so many people that I never thought played Crayter/Outcast just because the event was happening.

I've also been pondering as to how the event could be refined. To perhaps last longer, but also not drag out so long that it's absolutely boring. How to keep people engaged, how to make them feel like that if they could log they definitely should, rather than only bother when odds are at their side, but also skip the absolutely horrendously boring mechanic which is PoB sieging. And sadly I've yet to come up with anything decent. The closest thing that comes to mind is perhaps some trade event. But I really can't think how to make that one work in a way that also forces some form of interaction between the opposing sides. Perhaps if both sides need to bring some commodity to the enemy's base area? But it has to be taken and made with some sort of chokepoints so that traders can't just afk 50K above and then do the heroic dive and quickdock. Something to give initiative and possibility for defenders to defend while not spending more manpower than they could've had simply trading to match the enemy. If something like that could be done perhaps it could be an alternative to PoB's. Though shooting transports isn't as fun and there has to be some sort of initiative and ease for one side's defenders to simply move to become attackers and brawl it off with the other side's place.

Ok, it's 1:30 AM and I pressed Preview and this looks like one big mess. Guess it's time to post it. Feel free to give your thoughts on it all.

tl;dr: I have too much free time when sick and at home.
Well, im from the "defeated side".

Unfortunatelly ive only been present in first day i believe, when some CR spent most of the day (never more than between 4 and 8 ppl) shooting Basilika (btw, dunno if NPC's annoyed you guys as much as they had bothered us, but on our siege one could not afk, as the frequent bumping from npc's kept us spinning around like whores in a poledance). Apart that been in a pew on 2nd day end i believe (where our group was quite disorganized, but i got 3 kills so cant complain, but ye, i DID complain with our ppls about their "tatics" ffs, salt, salt never changes).

And sure, we not that happy with the result, and im still not sure about the consequences of the defeat, but the event gave me a idea about Sigma 21 aswell.

Maybe not a definitive result should come from, but i would totally support the idea of turning both Battleships in Sigma-21 in pobs that once "killed" would vanish for a period of time (to be repaired) and while in such period some advantadge for the winning side would exist (either for that house trading factions, or in NPC patrols or dunno, theres many guys around more creative than me that can come up with some attractive temporary reward).

Any others with ideas, bring it on.
The actual pvp fights:

Gripping, fun and exciting even if we lost

The fact that CR never had a chance anyway:

Most of us are used to it and learned to try to have fun anyway

The fact that CR lost an asset:

Happens but the story continues.

The POB grind:

Boring and unnecessary, as was demonstrated by events like the destruction of Toledo event, for which all of the above applied to the Order side, without POB grind, and they still had fun

Making it winner takes all, loser wasted all effort:

Sucky and unnecessary (unless you intentionally wanted to piss the loser off) especially if the effort is a boring grind.

The fact that the organizers and some Outcasts pretended that the event was fair and the outcome anything but set up to be pre-determined:

It's pretty much akin to taking a small town football team and making it play against all the football teams of Chicago at the same time on the same field, and saying "its fair because the rules are the same for both sides". So mind-boggling hypocritical that it's something you'd hardly find elsewhere (except maybe from kindergarten kids), but still the kind of thing one comes to expect from some corners of disco gc.

The fact that an organizer said the event was fair and one side lost simply because they suck as people, after they played along with everything so far:

Some people never cease to amaze. Even after all that could be witnessed here throughout the years, which was already pretty bad.
I deeply enjoyed this event.

On the first day, I made a Nyx, and a Crayter bomber. I flew my outcasts and my nyx all over the place, and I shot at everyone. That evening, I drained a bomber plant for hours into the Helios. The next day, I assembled with a team of CR bombers and tried to kill the Outcast ships seiging the Helios...we killed one. On the third day, I tilted further towards the losing side, because I love the underdog.

I ended up with a new Nyx, a CR waran, an Atlas, and a Deimos from this event. (shooter, I owe you money, and I'll push some to you as soon as I get trading again)

Grinding the PoB was...not excellent. That the outcasts got such a massive advantage overnight...That was a failure of the system, as the bases did not regen as they were supposed to. I agree with Backo, though. I can't come up with a way to do an event that drives people to log, to stay online, to get kills, to play, without the PoB. I considered counting online time, and that lacks the aspect of being stuck in one place, being bait for the other side, and needing to defend your own. I think, I think, there may be a points system that combines kills with time online that makes it work, but again, how do you get people to not hide out 50k above the plane?

I was addicted to this event. It drove me to a level of involvment in the game I haven't seen in years. If terrible PoB sieges are the only way we can do that...I'm for it.

I kind of reject the notion that this was unwinnable for the CR. The odds weren't in their favor, of course. But if Praise the Sun had started a day earlier, shoot, we may have had a real shot. I'll point out that the outcast discord server, organization, and dedication to the event started on day one. I'm not a member of any cr discord, so I cannot say the organization wasn't there on the other side, but..If I logged an outcast in the first two days, people hand typed that server into the chat for everyone to see. They were on the ball before the CR were, and they churned out a fantastic lead through the night.
This event had me lending my own stockpile of weapons. People logged, and good fights were had. At one point, there were 50 people in Tau 29 alone. At two points my game froze because of the amount of ships it had to render in. This was competitive, and it was fun. I personally didn't partake in the base sieges, but the fights.
The POB grind was the difficult part of this. I've been thinking of some things it could possibly be replaced with but I'm not sure how exactly to implement them without overloading (in the programming sense -- eg. function overloading -- not in the "the server is falling apart and there's no way we can recover this without prematurely ending the event" sense) the POB system somewhat.

My thought was a week-long combined KOTH/TDM game type. Whichever faction wins a fleet fight in the system passively gains points until either then next fleet fight starts or the other faction holds the system uncontested for, say, 10 minutes. Kills grant additional points based on ship size and possibly bonuses for extra factors like known official and unofficial faction flagships, exotic loadouts, relative fleet sizes, et cetera. I'm not much of a gameplay designer but I get the feeling this would be a much more interesting and regularly-doable core gameplay mechanic for war campaign events, since it's not about AFKing with your right mouse button taped down and the impetus for battle isn't "slow the rate at which your thing dies" but rather "take the source of the points".

If we had 200 players at peak instead of 75 I'd say we could even do it slightly more like Battlefield's venerable Conquest game type, and have several capturable points across a war zone where one is biased towards each faction and then there's three or four in the more heavily contested areas. This would make the battlefield a lot more spread out and dynamic, and allow for multiple fleet engagements to be going at the same time inside a single war front. But, again, we'd need a lot more players at the same time than we currently have.

Now, the main issue I'm seeing with this other than "holy moly that's a lot of code I'm going to have to write" is the visual representation of the state of an event like this. In game, you'd need to be able to see the capture points at a glance and who owns them. This can be done fairly easily in the 3D space, in theory. I'd need to figure out how difficult it is to dynamically change the archetype or loadout of a solar, which, knowing Freelancer, is going to be an extraordinary example of what I like to call "a pain in the ass". The other portion is being able to see the same information at a glance OUTSIDE of the game. I'm hoping that maybe that might be something we can do a lot more easily when we roll out the new launcher, which I don't currently have a timeline on but I'm hoping the answer is going to be "soon", but not like Valve "soon" or Blizzard "soon". More like Epic "soon".

Lots of things to think about here. The event resulted in a lot of activity and some really awesome deeds, and I think we'd all love to see more things like that happen. Plus, who knows, people might see these kinds of fleet engagements on the 'net somewhere and the playerbase will grow again.
(11-09-2018, 02:34 AM)Unseelie Wrote: [ -> ]I kind of reject the notion that this was unwinnable for the CR. The odds weren't in their favor, of course. But if Praise the Sun had started a day earlier, shoot, we may have had a real shot. I'll point out that the outcast discord server, organization, and dedication to the event started on day one. I'm not a member of any cr discord, so I cannot say the organization wasn't there on the other side, but..If I logged an outcast in the first two days, people hand typed that server into the chat for everyone to see. They were on the ball before the CR were, and they churned out a fantastic lead through the night.

The organization of CR started on day one too, but its just a matter of fact that Outcast had more than double the players and double the ships already existing before the event. Even with 25 billion invested and the official faction handing out Deimoses to indies like candy (which the Outcasts didnt need because they already had more than they needed to win without any investment), CR still lost the battle between the 2 fleets that day, just like they lost before and would have kept losing every other day too. Because one was an artificial 25 bil dps machine of people who never flew that ship before, and the other side people who already had their ships, knew their sihps, had more alternate ships they could switch to when needed, and didnt have to invest anything additionally (the nemps also hardly did any damage, it was the bombers that picked off the deimos fleet). The main reason why the deimos fleet was able to inflict about 5-10% more damage than before on the last day was because the Outcast fleet let them. And they let them because they knew they'd win faster if they just tore down Helios faster than the CR fleet could tear down Basilica, instead of attacking them immediately. You really have to put on 5 layers of pink eyeglasses to tell yourself that the size of the already existing player base didnt matter. Especially since the organizers explicitly forbid other factions to participate, explicitly saying they dont want other factions to side against the outcasts.
(11-09-2018, 02:45 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: [ -> ]. . .

There are a lot of good ideas nested in there, but, as you mentioned, the integration would be a pain in the backside. That being said, if yourself, and whoever want's to be involved in the planning and design of such things and refine it further, it wouldn't be the biggest challenge to write this into the rework. The rework was designed with scalability in mind, and this swapping mechanic of changing out solars can actually be achieved relatively easily (in fact I literally had to create a function for despawning solars and then immediately respawning them with one thing changed because Freelancer).

Perhaps we should take a look and properly integrating the API with the PoB rework, then expanding API functionality to the new launcher?

Looks promising, maybe victory points could be a smaller cap-pob (like a cruiser) close to points of interest in a system... for example, in s-21, the planet could have a lets say Donau close to it that once dead would be replaced by a Takeda?
The event had more pluses in the end than minuses, according to the general feel of the people involved. I was happy that CR didn't threw the towel and learned that was the one to blame for rousing the CR, and plunging them into a massive debt.

Funnily enough, with the whole debt, now, CR activity is through the roof due to the increased trading and taking advantage of the events going around now. Their presence in the Omicrons is generating not only activity but also dragging other factions that have relations with them up. Order is always around when CR also is. Roleplay and gameplay is being generated and created as a direct result from incurring such debt.

So, was it bad? Not really. CR had fun, Outcasts had fun. And hopefully, the next big event will be more refined and people will actively log on and shoot eachother, not looking for the bad, but looking for the good.

<3

#wrong account
Pages: 1 2