Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Solved]If you're experienced with dogs, I need help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So recently as I moved to new town, to settle the mess I made in my life I addopted a dog named Dora, that is female Stafford, around two years old. Very lovely being.

[Image: Z4jpfOI.jpg]

However past four months I was out of this town and my brother or his girlfriend, that live at other place usually took care of her. Nothing too much, fresh food and water, as they are busy.

Two or three days ago, I noticed she was strange. She looked very guilty, very submissive... I do not know. Just a bit different than she is.

Anyway, I didn't manage to make her a house and she slept outside. As it got colder, I begun letting her in during the nights. So, I noticed how as she begins napping, or sleeping, that her muscles twitch. Not shaking, but twitching. Like contractions, lasting for a second sometimes two. Though, she isn't in any kind of shock or inresponsive state, she acts pretty normal. It is just that twitching that worries me. It is after all my first dog. Oh and this only happens when she is lying on ground, calm, to nap pr sleep. Sometimes she looks at mehis while its happening, but she doesen't looks like in pain, as soon as she stands up it stops. It is strange that it is November in Serbia, we have ~20c temperatures. Insects are everywhere and I see this first time in my life. Yesterday, even today I found those things that suck blood on her.

Is this normal, or maybe some infection?
I noticed these two scars, they seem fresh perhaps this helps:

https://imgur.com/a/AD8jCyA

To me it seems like scratches. First day (thee days ago) after she slept in house, after I went to work she broke out trough gate and followed me. Next day, after I returned home gate was opened though she was near the entrance. I suspect she was looking for me.
To be honest she needs a friend i.e. another dog, since you're working your dog is home alone (right?)
It's very common for dogs (and also cats) to twitch their muscles and even make noises while they dream.

As another bit of advice, seeing that she's some sort of fighting/attack dog, is to keep her on a leash and not let her get near children. When you see that people are afraid of her (whether you think its rightly or wrongly), always hold her back. Best put on a muzzle when you're walking her in public. She may be a nice dog, but other people will not know that, react afraid, kick or beat her to keep her away, and then her instinct will take over. Happens to he best of dogs.
(11-09-2018, 08:43 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]It's very common for dogs (and also cats) to twitch their muscles and even make noises while they dream.

I agree. It could be pretty normal. However I would check her for fleas or mites.
(11-09-2018, 08:42 PM)Venkman Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest she needs a friend i.e. another dog, since you're working your dog is home alone (right?)

Yeah, though I walk her whenever I can, even if I am tired as f*ck. Before we moved here, in initial two months of my time in this town, she had a puppy owned by neighbour in same garen and they spent whole days together. Since then, she is very needy of friendship...

(11-09-2018, 08:43 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]It's very common for dogs (and also cats) to twitch their muscles and even make noises while they dream.

As another bit of advice, seeing that she's some sort of fighting/attack dog, is to keep her on a leash and not let her get near children. When you see that people are afraid of her (whether you think its rightly or wrongly), always hold her back. Best put on a muzzle when you're walking her in public. She may be a nice dog, but other people will not know that, react afraid, kick or beat her to keep her away, and then her instinct will take over. Happens to he best of dogs.

That happens minute after she lays down... but alright, I won't be as worried as I was.

About the walking thing in public, she walks by me with no leash or muzzle. I do have leash with me and I use it when there is too much cars. Simply because, she never attacks. People sometimes get afraid bit I convince them very fast in opposite. I've been in situation where a small star dog, that had little pupps, was biting her on neck, while Dora simply waved her tail and sniffed the pupps. She likes other dogs, to play and especially babies. That goes for humans too, she simply loves being petted and given food.

And not to mention little children. Oh boy what a happines that is, on both sides.

All I know is that when I saw her she was in cage, in scars, in piss and sh*t and I had to take her away. In two months, I brought her in perfection. As I said, she walks by me and nothing can take her away from me. They say Staffords love their owners first, then themselves.

I suspect she was used for puppies exploatation and fighting. People usually think she is male, due to her stance and by the way she walks. I noticed how she did not know how to play with me either, so that is why I guessed she did not have as pleasant and joyfull life. Now she does, and she is very thankfull.

Don't worry.

(11-09-2018, 08:46 PM)HassLHoFF™ Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree. It could be pretty normal. However I would check her for fleas or mites.

Will do.
(11-09-2018, 09:07 PM)PRJKTLRD Wrote: [ -> ]That happens minute after she lays down... but alright, I won't be as worried as I was.

About the walking thing in public, she walks by me with no leash or muzzle. I do have leash with me and I use it when there is too much cars. Simply because, she never attacks. People sometimes get afraid bit I convince them very fast in opposite. I've been in situation where a small star dog, that had little pupps, was biting her on neck, while Dora simply waved her tail and sniffed the pupps. She likes other dogs, to play and especially babies. That goes for humans too, she simply loves being petted and given food.

And not to mention little children. Oh boy what a happines that is, on both sides.

All I know is that when I saw her she was in cage, in scars, in piss and sh*t and I had to take her away. In two months, I brought her in perfection. As I said, she walks by me and nothing can take her away from me. They say Staffords love their owners first, then themselves.

I suspect she was used for puppies exploatation and fighting. People usually think she is male, due to her stance and by the way she walks. I noticed how she did not know how to play with me either, so that is why I guessed she did not have as pleasant and joyfull life. Now she does, and she is very thankfull.

Don't worry.

You're making the exact mistake many dog owners make, that I warned you about.

You think its cool when she slobbers all over someone's kid, and the kid and the parents are afraid, but you feel confirmed when the dog doesn't bite.

It's NOT cool.

The parents and the kid don't know your dog.

They may have had previous bad experience with dogs.

You not only have to respect your dog, you also have to respect other people.

You may think it's funny, but I know more than one parent who had a huge dog come up to their baby carriage and slobber all over their kid. The owner dog said "dont worry the dog just wants to play", but the parents would have shot the dog if they had a gun at that moment.

You're behaving irresponsibly. I'm also saying this as an experienced dog owner.
I of course always ask people around, if they are okay with her being without leash. Sometimes I met people that were afraid, and I just moved away.

I never do anything without thinking or asking.

This.
I had dog for 18 years,he past away 2 weeks ago so i have some experience with those lovely creatures,
All dogs are dreaming and evan barking and some times move legs like the'y running while sleeping,it toke me some time to get use to that,i thought it was something wrong.
It happens while they are in deep sleep,we call it REM faze of sleep for humans.
If she eating well and drinking well she's ok,she woudn't eat or drink if she was sick or something.
That " behavior change " you mentioned-maybe your brother or his girlfriend hit her or being aggressive or violante towards her,sounds like that to me,usually when dogs are punished they express that kind of behavior...dunno,hope not but check it out.
If you need any more advice go inbox so we can talk Serbian,much easier and faster.
Good luck mate.
My condolences. Will messge you.
Pages: 1 2 3