Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Renaming Planets/Bases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

What is the general community feeling toward renaming of Planets/Bases that have evolved through Discovery?

And also, what is the opinion of the Dev's towards this?

Particularly, the Gauls captured 2 planets and hold control over a vast array of stations in Bretonia, would they not, while they held them, change their names? A similar situation can be said for Planet Tangiers, and potentially for Planet Gran Canaria depending on what the devs have in mind.

On a more peaceful note, planets such as Sprague and Harris (though its under Gallic control), once terraformed would likely be given a more Bretonian name, and the issue of the naming of Sprague should I feel be something that is put up to community vote. I'd say Planet Oxford would be a nice idea considering the proximity to Cambridge and the potential rivalry.

The thread about the naming of the Bretionian Battlecruiser I think is a great step towards more community involvement in dev decisions, the PVP events that are effecting the war in New London is also an interesting way forward (regardless of the issues the event faced), though I wish it could have been done earlier in the war.
Sounds good for me, although some factions have their own designations for some systems, planets and such, such as Coalition and Corsairs with the Omegas and Omicrons. Yet i think the changes on Leeds, Edinburgh and the Taus would be late at this time, the war is almost over.
I don't think it matters. Many cities, for example in Ireland, are named after conquering armies such as the Norse. Hence you have Wexford, Wicklow etc. People kept calling them that.

And it is too soon to have Gallic names given it has been, what... 5 years of conquest?
I agree that occupied Bretonia is likely too late in the day, but the principle stays the same, and i am getting the feeling that the devs are moving towards a more community led direction and moving forward decisions on naming can be something directly decided through the community.

Planet Sprague bothers me to no end though, Sprague, despite being named by the developers of the origin freelancer, feels so weird, especially now its heavily occupied by settlers of Bretonian origin.

I would say that the owner decides the name in the case of differing opinions on the name of something depending on factions.

I am sure there will be drama in this new dev direction, particularly when sensitive factions such as Gallia, Zoners and CR are involved.
(12-10-2018, 05:01 AM)Markam Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that occupied Bretonia is likely too late in the day, but the principle stays the same, and i am getting the feeling that the devs are moving towards a more community led direction and moving forward decisions on naming can be something directly decided through the community.

Planet Sprague bothers me to no end though, Sprague, despite being named by the developers of the origin freelancer, feels so weird, especially now its heavily occupied by settlers of Bretonian origin.

The name Sprague was formed many centuries ago by the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is an English name and name place. Note that Sprague is found in very British named Washington DC.
Fair point about it having origins in the UK, but as a family name and not a place name, if you use the full quote of the website (https://www.houseofnames.com/sprague-family-crest) you found that information from. It certainly isn't a name of a major city in the United Kingdom, if it were a lifeless planet as in Vanilla it would doubtless be of little importance, but now the planet's RP has evolved considerably a more fitting name I think is in order, a more official opinion from the Bretonian government RPers would carry more weight than my little opinion of course.

And don't quote me on American history, but isn't Washington DC named as such because of the person? Washington in the UK is a fairly small town near Newcastle.
This is a very interesting thread. As I said in a previous post, nobody should be shocked to see colors change on the map by the end of the war. If something as extreme as a name change were going to happen, I think we'd see it happen after that, not before. As for the community deciding in such a hypothetical scenario, I wouldn't count out the possibility in certain cases.
But remember to name it in a way that doesn't offend Golly. Smile
(12-10-2018, 03:59 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]But remember to name it in a way that doesn't offend Golly. Smile

I fully support the creation of the Golanskisector.
(12-10-2018, 05:48 AM)Markam Wrote: [ -> ]Fair point about it having origins in the UK, but as a family name and not a place name, if you use the full quote of the website (https://www.houseofnames.com/sprague-family-crest) you found that information from. It certainly isn't a name of a major city in the United Kingdom, if it were a lifeless planet as in Vanilla it would doubtless be of little importance, but now the planet's RP has evolved considerably a more fitting name I think is in order, a more official opinion from the Bretonian government RPers would carry more weight than my little opinion of course.

And don't quote me on American history, but isn't Washington DC named as such because of the person? Washington in the UK is a fairly small town near Newcastle.

Note: As I said Sprague is a town in Washington DC. (Connecticut) Never said it was a town/city in the UK. There is also a ton called Sprague in Washinton state.
Pages: 1 2