Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Items Considered Contraband inRP SHOULD be Treated as Contraband in Terms of Balance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There's a handful of commodities, such as alien-related items or (the most infamous victim of this policy I'm going to talk about) Slaves to Pittsburg, that whilst are considered contraband by pretty much all groups/govs they're balanced with standard commodity prices. Why? Because there's a balance methodology that if an item is at least legal in one place, gameplay wise it's not considered contraband, and is not balanced with contraband prices as a result. Everywhere. In my opinion, I feel that is very silly.

It basically means that the extensive roleplay people do to gain unique legal permits for these items becomes a bit meaningless. And just because a single group gets the chance to transport it legally, literally everyone else suffers as a result and the commodity becomes completely nonviable for even normal smuggling as it becomes no better than non-contraband. It devalues these commodities, and removes their roleplay significance. I remember I used to see GMG Kujira's heading for Pittsburg all the time because of the deal old GMG| had brokered with DSE. Aside from the agreement itself, that has completely vanished. Including all normal smuggling to and from Pittsburg as well.

You also have systems like Bretonia's tax/license, where you can gain a permit for items through a credit cost, but ultimately you're paying even less to haul a standard item.

This policy should be dropped. It's not constructive to the roleplay or gameplay environment, and can indirectly hamper overall smuggling as a result.
Screw those factions that make obnoxious licensure threads. Not only is that inconvenient to newbies, it screws up things for actual smugglers. Also, horrible on the eye when trying g to familiarise with laws.
Valid points. I support your post.

Contraband items need to have increased profit to justify the increased risk taken. Even if people pay to transport them legally, that is still an added cost that should result in added profit, compared to items that can be transported with no risk or fees.
Definitely. Remember, a lawful, unless they're playing a corrupt lawful, will want to blow up the smuggler rather than take a bribe. The risk of interdiction by lawfuls is complete revenue loss.

Pirates don't do that to lawful traders, but lawful enforcers will do that to smugglers. You also lack lanes for ease of convenience, but have all the same choke points.
(12-12-2018, 12:23 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely. Remember, a lawful, unless they're playing a corrupt lawful, will want to blow up the smuggler rather than take a bribe. The risk of interdiction by lawfuls is complete revenue loss.

Pirates don't do that to lawful traders, but lawful enforcers will do that to smugglers. You also lack lanes for ease of convenience, but have all the same choke points.

What?????

I am never interested in blowing up the Smuggler. If they pay the fine, which is a lot less than what a Pirate will ask, he will be asked to drop the contraband at the nearest Base (this is to, inRP, show it has been seized, but ooRP he will still get some of the revenue from selling it, but granted not at generally at the top price).

Not everyone, who plays a Police Character, is interested in collecting blues.
But it's true; you do not trade with slaves and cardamine, because it's very dangerous and you don't get much more than for trading normal stuff. The income of smuggleing should be around the ore trader income also 5k SC to 7,5k SC per Unit for a range of 7 systems (around two houses). The only reason I smuggel stuff is that I want to make some RP this way and the Police should not be bored all day ;D.
I am of opinion that it is the other way around that should be done. Governments should adapt to what is considered legit, restricted or contraband item

It is absolutely stupid that Bretonia and Rheinland has licences to allow carrying of generic items such as Light Arms or Side Arms.
(12-11-2018, 02:38 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Screw those factions that make obnoxious licensure threads. Not only is that inconvenient to newbies, it screws up things for actual smugglers. Also, horrible on the eye when trying g to familiarise with laws.

(12-12-2018, 01:46 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I am of opinion that it is the other way around that should be done. Governments should adapt to what is considered legit, restricted or contraband item

It is absolutely stupid that Bretonia and Rheinland has licences to allow carrying of generic items such as Light Arms or Side Arms.

Completely agree to both. I was approached on Discord with the suggestion that commodities should have in their infocard whether or not they're legal or illegal.
(12-12-2018, 12:33 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2018, 12:23 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely. Remember, a lawful, unless they're playing a corrupt lawful, will want to blow up the smuggler rather than take a bribe. The risk of interdiction by lawfuls is complete revenue loss.

What?????

I am never interested in blowing up the Smuggler. If they pay the fine, which is a lot less than what a Pirate will ask, he will be asked to drop the contraband at the nearest Base (this is to, inRP, show it has been seized, but ooRP he will still get some of the revenue from selling it, but granted not at generally at the top price).

Not everyone, who plays a Police Character, is interested in collecting blues.

+1
Cops really are not supposed to shoot cooperating smugglers.

(12-12-2018, 01:46 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I am of opinion that it is the other way around that should be done. Governments should adapt to what is considered legit, restricted or contraband item

It is same as inRL. In some countries you can obtain arms quite freely, in others it´s quite restricted.

(12-12-2018, 01:50 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Completely agree to both. I was approached on Discord with the suggestion that commodities should have in their infocard whether or not they're legal or illegal.

How did the discussion get from "let´s not ruin contraband prices" to "let´s have absolutely same trading laws for all houses?
A highlighted word or words in the description of each commodity reading "CONTRABAND" or "LEGAL CARGO" would be a godsend. I can think of one instance the other day in which I had to prevent my wife from picking up a few units of Blue Jillies from Stuttgart. She didn't know any better, but I knew it was restricted cargo in Rheinland, which thankfully saved her from being fined from a Rheinland Lawful 2 minutes later; my wife only avoided that because she had a veteran willing to spot-check the laws for her.

It is pretty ridiculous how there are so many different restricted cargo types in most Houses. Either make it contraband or legal - Don't confuse new players with this "restricted" list, it just makes things complicated and introduces a learning curve to something as simple as trading. I could see there being one or two exceptions per House (Ex: White Boxes - RESTRICTED, or Synth Weed - RESTRICTED), in which case, the commodity itself should state which ID is allowed to haul the item legally.

Speaking of Synth Weed, it really is a shame such a commodity doesn't get smuggling cr/sec simply because one ID can haul it legally. It's hard enough to smuggle, but in cases where an ID can do so legally, maybe suddenly we'd have an influx of transports flying under that ID, and frequently? That'd equate to predictability in terms of piracy targets, which is never a bad thing for encouraging interactivity.
Pages: 1 2