Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Thoughts for 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Another year has passed and another year has started. This Community/Game still survives. It is not because of the Developers, Moderators or even the Admins, it is because of you, the Players. Without you, we the Staff would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, because we wouldn't have anything to do (hmm.......now there's a thought...........easy life).

I would like to reiterate something that we ALL forget, for one reason or another, many times in our life here:

Quote: For everyone to be excellent to one another, and to use common sense. Consider the people around you. Keep fair play in mind. It's a game and nothing is gained, or lost, save the experience. Credits can be re-earned. Ammunition replenished. If you become infuriated step away. If you make a mistake apologize.

And yes, for those of you who will recognise it, from somewhere, it is part of Rule 0.0

When I say all, I include myself. Earlier today, I spent about 45-60 minutes explaining to someone new, how to login in to his Base, sell commodities to his Base, add Tags, Admin Passwords and what Commodities it need to be able to repair it and other such things. I even told him how to see the Base Commands, whilst docked and suggested that he read up on the POB Thread to further his knowledge. A few hours later, when I came back in to the Game, on another Ship, he started asking me, again, what Commodities he needed to Repair his Base. I gather that he was randomly asking many people who were just ignoring him. I was a bit short with him, at first, because I said "I already told you all this, earlier today" (not very Saint like, was it?). But I persevered and went through it again.

There are some of us that are quite happy 'picking' on the new guys/groups in PvP. Yes, 3 vs 3 is fair if both sides are similar skill levels, but not fair when one Group's skill level is far superior than the others. The new guys are our 'live-blood' for an existing level of Members. These new Members will only have so much patience of being hammered every 5 seconds by Groups of far superior skills, before they just throw up their hands and leave. The more able of you, in PvP, should be able, after the first/second encounter, to work out that you are going in with an overkill and maybe reduce you numbers accordingly. They may still lose, but at least they don't, possibly, feel so bad if they do some damage to you or, heaven forbid, kill one of you. Not everybody has the inclination/time to train to your skill level.

Not every Team can be the All Blacks of Rugby or the Real Madrid of Football, regardless of how much training they do. That is why there are different Divisions in Football Leagues.

Opinions, we all have them. Be understanding of others opinion and accept that it may differ to yours. There is nothing wrong with arguing your point, but at least be civil about it. There is no need to put in laughing memes in to your response, as that is just belittling the other person. The amount of times I see a discussion disintegrate in to a flame fest, is unbelievable. You would almost think it was 6 years old arguing.

If you see/encounter something that has upset you, go for a walk, have a cup of coffee, cuddle your dog/cat or anything else that gets you away from the keyboard for a little while. I found it rather humorous, today, to see some one complaining about how bad something was and then a couple of posts later, claiming, from an Event, what they were basically complaining about.

Accept that what you want from this Game, is not necessarily what everybody else wants from this Game. Some want to collect all the big, bad Battleships, others want to built a lasting Empire. A few want to build things and others come here to fly around, chill and talk to people. Whatever you want, out of this Game, come, play and enjoy but not at the expense of everybody else.

The Devs, I believe try to make an enjoyable Game for all, but they are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea as they cannot please everybody. I am not happy with some of the decisions that they have made in the Story, but they are not here to please just me. So, we should not berate them as that can be/is rather demotivating. Put your concerns over, but be civil about it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope that 2019 turns out to a prosperous year for us and hopefully with a lot less DRAMA.

Last thing, the words are mine but the seed of the idea was not mine, but Spazzy's (who I talked to for the first time in a while).
I hope we can try to keep ego away from the game and forum.

Above all, steretypes and reading into each other's motivations as malicious.
Happy New Year Disco Team.
(01-01-2019, 08:21 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]When I say all, I include myself. Earlier today, I spent about 45-60 minutes explaining to someone new, how to login in to his Base, sell commodities to his Base, add Tags, Admin Passwords and what Commodities it need to be able to repair it and other such things. I even told him how to see the Base Commands, whilst docked and suggested that he read up on the POB Thread to further his knowledge. A few hours later, when I came back in to the Game, on another Ship, he started asking me, again, what Commodities he needed to Repair his Base. I gather that he was randomly asking many people who were just ignoring him. I was a bit short with him, at first, because I said "I already told you all this, earlier today" (not very Saint like, was it?). But I persevered and went through it again.

As someone who has trained countless Bretonian battleships, I understand this situation well and have found myself in many similar ones. But patience and tolerance always triumph over rash vexation.
(01-01-2019, 08:21 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Another year has passed and another year has started. This Community/Game still survives. It is not because of the Developers, Moderators or even the Admins, it is because of you, the Players. Without you, we the Staff would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, because we wouldn't have anything to do (hmm.......now there's a thought...........easy life).

I would like to reiterate something that we ALL forget, for one reason or another, many times in our life here:

Quote: For everyone to be excellent to one another, and to use common sense. Consider the people around you. Keep fair play in mind. It's a game and nothing is gained, or lost, save the experience. Credits can be re-earned. Ammunition replenished. If you become infuriated step away. If you make a mistake apologize.

And yes, for those of you who will recognise it, from somewhere, it is part of Rule 0.0

When I say all, I include myself. Earlier today, I spent about 45-60 minutes explaining to someone new, how to login in to his Base, sell commodities to his Base, add Tags, Admin Passwords and what Commodities it need to be able to repair it and other such things. I even told him how to see the Base Commands, whilst docked and suggested that he read up on the POB Thread to further his knowledge. A few hours later, when I came back in to the Game, on another Ship, he started asking me, again, what Commodities he needed to Repair his Base. I gather that he was randomly asking many people who were just ignoring him. I was a bit short with him, at first, because I said "I already told you all this, earlier today" (not very Saint like, was it?). But I persevered and went through it again.

There are some of us that are quite happy 'picking' on the new guys/groups in PvP. Yes, 3 vs 3 is fair if both sides are similar skill levels, but not fair when one Group's skill level is far superior than the others. The new guys are our 'live-blood' for an existing level of Members. These new Members will only have so much patience of being hammered every 5 seconds by Groups of far superior skills, before they just throw up their hands and leave. The more able of you, in PvP, should be able, after the first/second encounter, to work out that you are going in with an overkill and maybe reduce you numbers accordingly. They may still lose, but at least they don't, possibly, feel so bad if they do some damage to you or, heaven forbid, kill one of you. Not everybody has the inclination/time to train to your skill level.

Not every Team can be the All Blacks of Rugby or the Real Madrid of Football, regardless of how much training they do. That is why there are different Divisions in Football Leagues.

Opinions, we all have them. Be understanding of others opinion and accept that it may differ to yours. There is nothing wrong with arguing your point, but at least be civil about it. There is no need to put in laughing memes in to your response, as that is just belittling the other person. The amount of times I see a discussion disintegrate in to a flame fest, is unbelievable. You would almost think it was 6 years old arguing.

If you see/encounter something that has upset you, go for a walk, have a cup of coffee, cuddle your dog/cat or anything else that gets you away from the keyboard for a little while. I found it rather humorous, today, to see some one complaining about how bad something was and then a couple of posts later, claiming, from an Event, what they were basically complaining about.

Accept that what you want from this Game, is not necessarily what everybody else wants from this Game. Some want to collect all the big, bad Battleships, others want to built a lasting Empire. A few want to build things and others come here to fly around, chill and talk to people. Whatever you want, out of this Game, come, play and enjoy but not at the expense of everybody else.

The Devs, I believe try to make an enjoyable Game for all, but they are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea as they cannot please everybody. I am not happy with some of the decisions that they have made in the Story, but they are not here to please just me. So, we should not berate them as that can be/is rather demotivating. Put your concerns over, but be civil about it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope that 2019 turns out to a prosperous year for us and hopefully with a lot less DRAMA.

Last thing, the words are mine but the seed of the idea was not mine, but Spazzy's (who I talked to for the first time in a while).

To bad we dont have many veterans like you ,this game wuld be much more newbie-friendly .
Thank you for this read, Denis. In the age of electronics where communication is instant, and encounters can be numerous, it can be easy to forget to be courteous, even if it means a simple "Hello and how do 'ya do?" to passersby.

Let's all try to be better versions of ourselves, this year!