Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Spectator Camera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be possible to implement a spectator camera upon PvP death?

Would be nice to keep an eye on the action.
And continue to lead your forces despite being dead?
Come as a Camera Ship if you want.
(01-21-2019, 08:17 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]And continue to lead your forces despite being dead?

That's not quite what i had in mind. Though people do that anyway.

(01-21-2019, 08:18 PM)Pito-Chan Wrote: [ -> ]Come as a Camera Ship if you want.

But what if you don't have a camera ship in the area?
It takes less than five minutes to make any restart, sell the noob commodities, go to conn, buy the camera ship and return.
(01-21-2019, 08:24 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]It takes less than five minutes to make any restart, sell the noob commodities, go to conn, buy the camera ship and return.

Alot can happen in 5 minutes. Why go through the fuss?
I highly doubt that's programatically possible, but I've been wrong before.
(01-21-2019, 08:27 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2019, 08:24 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]It takes less than five minutes to make any restart, sell the noob commodities, go to conn, buy the camera ship and return.

Alot can happen in 5 minutes. Why go through the fuss?

You can simply make a spectator account with eight camera ships set up in the active combat zones and you're golden. Why would you want others to go through the effort of reprogramming the game instead of setting up a ship in less than five minutes while there are so many restarts that they cover pretty much every second system?
I was simply asking if it was feasible. For all i know it could be a simple implementation.
I think the ship death state is a dead-end in Freelancer, hence the menu that emerges when a player dies. Anyway, in space, the camera seems to be attached (programmatically, not strictly physically) to the ship that the player is flying. Without being able to rewrite engine code (an infamous problem in the FL modding community), I suspect that freely moving a camera in space is not possible.

I could be wrong, of course, though I suspect the fact that the Camera Ship exists at all is evidence of this being a difficult or impossible problem.