Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Set RP Requirements and Guides
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm not sure if there is actually a List that is hold somehwere on the forums when it comes to what you need to fullfill to get something for your faction or as an individual (a basic guide). But I would like to discuss this matter:

Over decades now we've thrown a huge rock on players and factions that wanted to RP for something that they had to come up with the requirements and RPs themselves. Be it Mining Bonuses for their Faction, Techcells, an additional Ship and whatnot.

Is there a "Requirement List" somehwere done by the devs?

I'm talking about stuff like, you have to do this and that in order to share techcells with your allies. You need to own a Shipyard inRP as a faction to build cruisers, you need 2x Shipyards to own Battlecruisers or have access to battlecruiser or you need 4x Shipyards to own a Battleship etc.

Can't we set a basis for everyone so they can at least start with something instead of having to "imagine" what the RP requirements are for them to get those perks. Now I know there was a "Faction perks" thread somewhere but that again just said "By faction request you can get this and that". I haven't seen a if you provide this RP and fullfill that requirement inRP you can get that.

Now with PoB's you have that in game, like if you deliver certain amount of Nomad Remains you can build cloaks, if you deliver that you can upgrade it and whatever. Can we implement such a system into our RP? This way, whenever something gets denied, you would know that you havent met the requirements for it or that some additional things were missing.

Like let's say Faction A wants to conquer Faction B's Base in their territory. If they provide the correct amount of RP (this would be defined by dev what exactly they have to provide, be it Events, RP outcomes, Commodities that need to be delivered) they can conquer said Base.

Having experienced games that give you the freedom of achieving something by effort I'm actually shocked we dont have a base platform of what is exactly required to get something in game. For me it looks mostly random or too much of it is left for Admins/Devs to decide wheter the requirements are met or not, nor does the Player or the Faction actually know what the hell they're supposed to RP or how much is needed. Best example are how some Capital Ship deliveries by some factions are far less than other factions. Some require more, some require less. If we had a basic requirement set by Devs that players can aim for and achieve I think it would awake alot of interests be it factions or individual player to spend time and effort into their RP.

Now before we go to "Oh then the faction A can just conquer whatever they want" nah that's why I'm saying that if Devs could make it clear of what you need (stuff like, you need 8 Cap Ship bases in your territory to be able to conquer C,B,A or inRP it should make sense to be able to conquer the base, your RP background Lore of your faction etc.) then we wont have that problem. Of course that will require alot of work as we'd have to go through every factions current assets inRP, bases they own, commodity, economic situation etc.
That's definitely not a good idea as there are no standardisations of station model conventions. Also it encourages a situation where underdeveloped factions are just squished.
Maybe the devs can set up a guide. Note it's just a guide and is not law.

For new players like me, it would be nice to have a guide to refer to for certain rp. Like for example I want a different station as HQ other than the station it is now. What could be the minimum requirements? At least then a person can see what needs to be done, and when submitted the devs can say yes/no with explaination. And if more RP needs to be done, so be it.

Like the guy from Geneva, he rp Freeport 1 only to be told after a while what he was doing had no effect, (I don't know the full story). But at least in the future things like that can be avoided where months of RP aren't for nothing.
(02-28-2019, 01:18 PM)Republican.Shipping Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the devs can set up a guide.

I like that.

(02-28-2019, 01:18 PM)Republican.Shipping Wrote: [ -> ]For new players like me, it would be nice to have a guide to refer to for certain rp. Like for example I want a different station as HQ other than the station it is now. What could be the minimum requirements? At least then a person can see what needs to be done, and when submitted the devs can say yes/no with explaination. And if more RP needs to be done, so be it.

Exactly my point.
I think, as a speculative Guide it might be beneficial, perhaps an overhaul of existing 'so you want to start a faction' type tutorials. If it were to be done, it should be couched in terms of improving and expanding on people's roleplay, otherwise it is basically an instruction manual on how to get things.

That being said, as per the age old constitutional argument, I would be mostly concerned that it will just end up with 'minimum effort to get X' (an attitude that already has strong roots here, and would only be strengthened). I would also tend to note that forcing players to come up with their own RP is not necessarily a bad idea - its not like we don't have recourse to GMs. We frequently do say 'i have this idea' and get it either approved, modified or obliterated at the hands of GMs.

In general I am a believer in player driven rp, and rp diversity - by definition, if we codify fixed requirements, it is no longer player driven but requirements driven - and I fear for the diversity as well. If X, Y and Z, are what you need to get what you want, why bother with A or G? If you don't know exactly what you need, you are forced to come up with variant options - lets say A, B, C, Y, and Z. Together this is a better, and greater sum, of RP than a dozen repetitions of X, Y and Z. You still got there, but by way of a unique series of events. This is way I favor a Guide, over a Requirements list - having a better idea of the sort of thing that is expected of your RP is a good thing, straight up knowing what you need to do is not, in my opinion.
I have years of experience in running a faction and it's always a hocus pocus to me. This guide would also benefit existing factions. Lots of ideas stall due to lack of certainties. Most factions play quite conservative out of fear of being labeled powergamers, other factions just spawn 1.8 million marines to take over a planet.
(02-28-2019, 06:53 PM)Madvillain Wrote: [ -> ]I have years of experience in running a faction and it's always a hocus pocus to me. This guide would also benefit existing factions. Lots of ideas stall due to lack of certainties. Most factions play quite conservative out of fear of being labeled powergamers, other factions just spawn 1.8 million marines to take over a planet.

Indeed!
Can a Dev give an answer on this :v
An SRP guide would be a most welcomed addition. I suppose folks could do up their own, but just because you get one or even a couple passed doesn't make you an expert, since they can all be very different, and rejected or passed over very differring issues.

My first SRP attempt was for sort of Liberty 'privateer' that didn't pass. The thing was, there was only previous examples to go on, and some were for very RP heavy backstory, others were done mostly for techcell changes and equipment miss matching.

So far people have been feeling their way through, and sometimes you hit the nail, others you wind up way off and aren' t so sure why. But sometimes you may have to push the limit to see what new things might be possible.

As far as requirements, I think for ships like capital ship SRP's, its less important to have a shipyard lined up, as it is to show the roleplay development, and signs of genuine in game activity. Then, as long as the goal doesn't push for too much in the form of strange equipment combos or outrageous rules, you're likely on the right track. SRP's most likely to get passed, and quickly, are those for simple changes like cosmetic changes, changes to individual ID rules, or equipment combos. After you get passed, you see people go further with development, maybe they get access to a shipyard, or maybe rejected to wander space with no real safe shipyard for a long time.

But! All throughout every SRP I did and tried, it would have been nice to have a sort of grid or graph to cross reference some ideas. Categories like shiptype, starting faction, activity in game, and desired goals (rp or rp+loadout changes) topped off with dev notes for each combo like 'good idea' vs 'bad idea'.

(02-27-2019, 07:37 AM)Commissar SnakeLancerâ„¢ Wrote: [ -> ]Like let's say Faction A wants to conquer Faction B's Base in their territory. If they provide the correct amount of RP (this would be defined by dev what exactly they have to provide, be it Events, RP outcomes, Commodities that need to be delivered) they can conquer said Base.

Having experienced games that give you the freedom of achieving something by effort I'm actually shocked we dont have a base platform of what is exactly required to get something in game. For me it looks mostly random or too much of it is left for Admins/Devs to decide wheter the requirements are met or not, nor does the Player or the Faction actually know what the hell they're supposed to RP or how much is needed. Best example are how some Capital Ship deliveries by some factions are far less than other factions. Some require more, some require less. If we had a basic requirement set by Devs that players can aim for and achieve I think it would awake alot of interests be it factions or individual player to spend time and effort into their RP.

Now before we go to "Oh then the faction A can just conquer whatever they want" nah that's why I'm saying that if Devs could make it clear of what you need (stuff like, you need 8 Cap Ship bases in your territory to be able to conquer C,B,A or inRP it should make sense to be able to conquer the base, your RP background Lore of your faction etc.) then we wont have that problem. Of course that will require alot of work as we'd have to go through every factions current assets inRP, bases they own, commodity, economic situation etc.

I have been continuing to plug the idea (and that players should bring this up to devs, if it comes from me it seems likely to be seen as 'extreme') of Serious Sirius Wars, which suggests a forum based 'system' that govern 'conquering' stations, and how factions can earn that ability.

Its cool you brought this up since it gave me an idea. All of these siege ideas are like any other game.

Ever play HEROSCAPE ? All throughout these wars, SRP ships should be able to be a sort of Joker in the deck, or a real 'force augmentation' piece to be played. Like a bonus card you could bring with you for a little advantage that could make a big difference if used right.

I always evisioned special rules and capabilities for SRP ships to make them better spies, and make them ACTUAL special operatives.

Special capabilities for SRP ships could include:

Special engagement rules (to spark 'powder keg' situations and get battles going.

Special Docking Rights (ability to keep all hostile entities, excepting aliens, AI and infestees, neutral and be able to dock, so Spec Ops ID ships could be called upon to be 'hired' so they can be used as 'go betweens'. Obviously cargo limits determine who's good for what. An SRP Thor might qualify but can't hold many marines, unlike transports, freighters, cruisers, liners, etc. I'm sure given some some we could think of a few more. Some would make perfect 3rd parties for landing marines to storm and capture stations.

Special ability to carry a special cargo commodity (like an NEMP cargo commodity) that could be delivered to a station (in dispute) to represent an internal sabotage mechanism (reducing HP by a percentage to hasten a siege, etc). This would be a very expensive option like they always have been, but it would require defenders to be on guard during a time of challenge. (and perhaps a forum declaration that 'its coming' like for POB's could give defenders a fair heads up on when to be on guard). (to be fair I'd support intel ID's getting the same ability but they'd have reduced ability due to rep, making SRP something more valuable to get on your side).

That battle type I outlined was that of a combat supply event. Where, when a station is in dispute, and under attack, one part is for 3rd party ships to 'unload marines' aboard the station they are trying to capture, a certain amount in a certain time frame, all while enemies try to stop them. Obviously defenders try to fend off attackers and we see what happens.

Perhaps Spec Op ID'd ships could always have a special reputation consideration that allows them to work for anyone within reason, as a special unit. Meaning for factions wanting to do this themselves, could SRP their own special operatives, or look to hire any they can find that already exist, who'd be willing to use their ability to help. Otherwise SRP ships can be considered outside normal reputation rules except for regular pvp.

Just saying, for those of you who'd like to see some ORDER brought to situations like 1.8 million marines to GC or even just 50000 to Livadia, you guys have to be the ones to encourage this to the devs! One person gets noticed, but a bunch of people get listened to! Imagine combat events regarding these developments, that can go either way. Or if one side wins in landslide, the losers have a chance to counter challenge (if they earn the capability to do so by points, or perhaps by also earning or recruiting special operatives).
damn dude, that's exactly what I thought Dx you brought up some realy good points

Indeed we're not the only one, i've heard it from more members that things like that is just left out to "Imagination" or "Magic" while we could have set numbers which everyone could work with.