Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Wikipedia in the Future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Edit: Up-to-date Version 4.91 Patch 10

A minor Update what's going on at the Wiki in the future:

With the introduction of DSCore with the most up-to-date statistical info you can get about Disco, maintaining certain Pages seems to be rather obsolete. Especially Ship pages like this, Ship Equipment pages and Commodities. These pages will not be maintained anymore. Atleast not regularly. And not by me probably.

Pages that will still be maintained quite regularly are:

Timeline
Ship Portal & Faction ship pages
Restart Guide
Mining Guide
Systems
Bases
Planets
NPC Faction Pages (Known Bases and other random stuff)
Sirius Geography

Long story short: As long as the Wikipedia is a part of Discovery, the pages above should be up-to date shortly after a new Version/Update is available.

Pages with an up-to-date (Version 4.91 Patch 7) status:

Timeline
Every Ship Page linked at the Ship Portal
98% (a wild guess) of the Ship Pages. Note: Not Hardpoints or Equipment
ID's

Edit: Up-to-date Version 4.91 Patch 10
I fully appreciate the effort you and others have put into maintaining the wiki.

We now have millions of different programs that can do some of the job better but the wiki has otherwise been an invaluable tool, for many, for years. Good work, team.
With the advent of DSCore, I think the Wiki can still have a place in the community as an archive of key roleplay information pertaining to factions, bases, systems and the mod as a whole. It sort of looks like you're restructuring it to be like that, which is cool.
(03-01-2019, 10:48 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]I fully appreciate the effort you and others have put into maintaining the wiki.

We now have millions of different programs that can do some of the job better but the wiki has otherwise been an invaluable tool, for many, for years. Good work, team.

Thanks! Let's wait and see how DSCore evovles over the next months. Right now i only have to 'criticize' the commodity section, because the Navigation at FLStat is faster. But yeah. Thats's a minor thing, you can't please everyone and the program is brand new. So it can't be perfect. The rest is pretty amazing and gives the Wiki editors time to focus on other Wiki sections. In the future it will be a way easier to edit stuff after every update anyway, because many pages are up-to-date now.

(03-01-2019, 11:16 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]With the advent of DSCore, I think the Wiki can still have a place in the community as an archive of key roleplay information pertaining to factions, bases, systems and the mod as a whole. It sort of looks like you're restructuring it to be like that, which is cool.

Well. Thank you. There is currently no better source for historical information than the Wiki. And probaly never will be (as long as no one starts to move stuff from the Wiki to the Forums or DSCore). When i started to edit in Oktober 2017, i never had the intention to focus on the Wiki that much and definitely had no intentions, to restructuring it in the way i do it since 6 months.

But here we are now. It's 2019 (with a little 3 month rage quit break), the Wiki is in a very good shape and it will be that way, as long as the Wiki is up. Not a prefect place, but let's face it. The Wiki was never perfect. Especially after Disco got much changes and new content. But now, the Wiki is a place where you can find information you can't find anywhere else. Categories with removed bases, planets, systems for example (the Category and the easy link system of the Wiki beats everything anyway). And for the chill and read. I also noticed a few Players creating Player Character Pages lately. So i guess you are right. The Wiki still have a place in this community. Even if it just a small one.

I think a mix of DSCore, Navmap/Companion and the Forum/Wiki is a perfect combination. This is of course a biased opinion.