Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Should liners be jump capable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, should they?

Instinctively it seems to make sense given their size and function. But the obvious counter argument is the likelyhood they'll be exploited.

So here's my thinking.

Idea 1 - We welcome jumptrading as an entity. Hook in passenger cargo to be the only cargo one can jump with and nerf the sale prices.

Idea 2 - Introduce a new jump drive that is more limited than existing models for liners. Such as one that has a maximum jump range. Thus requiring one to make a series of jumps from A and B as opposed to just one. Adjust the economy accordingly.

Idea 3 - Reduce the cargo capacity of liners.

Thoughts?
Not to discredit your idea, but you haven't really given a reason or explained why.
Because liners lack function to match their purpose. Aside from a few extra bits of equipment they pretty much equate to transports of the same hold size. I think there's an opportunity to open up a new gameplay aspect with liners by utilizing jump drives in a commercial application.

I get the feeling they should have jump capability due to their sheer size and function as express luxury transportation.
(03-11-2019, 08:51 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]Well, should they?

Instinctively it seems to make sense given their size and function. But the obvious counter argument is the likelyhood they'll be exploited.

So here's my thinking.

Idea 1 - We welcome jumptrading as an entity. Hook in passenger cargo to be the only cargo one can jump with and nerf the sale prices.

Idea 2 - Introduce a new jump drive that is more limited than existing models for liners. Such as one that has a maximum jump range. Thus requiring one to make a series of jumps from A and B as opposed to just one. Adjust the economy accordingly.

Idea 3 - Reduce the cargo capacity of liners.

Thoughts?

1. Nerf sale prices? You're joking, right? The profit margin for passengers is already nonexistent.

2. JD Mk 1

3. Get out.
(03-11-2019, 10:18 PM)Greylock97 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Nerf sale prices? You're joking, right? The profit margin for passengers is already nonexistent.

2. JD Mk 1

3. Get out.

Take a second to give it some thought. The jump distance will reduce the freight time, the price cannot stay the same when instantaneous travel comes into play. The JD Mk1 is the same as every jump drive with terrible accuracy. I was thinking more along the lines of limitations that consume time. The third suggestion isn't my favourite either, but i'd welcome any counter suggestions.
Discovery FLHook is capable of recognizing a players ship/shipclass. It's also capable of paying out additional credits for certain deliveries as we've seen it in several trade events.
A possible "purpose" of liners I can imagine is one that gets additional credits for transporting human passengers. Possibly even have a more advanced system that makes those passengers require certain goods such as water, food rations/luxury food etc. in cargo hold which they consume during the trip.
(03-11-2019, 10:34 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2019, 10:18 PM)Greylock97 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Nerf sale prices? You're joking, right? The profit margin for passengers is already nonexistent.

2. JD Mk 1

3. Get out.

Take a second to give it some thought. The jump distance will reduce the freight time, the price cannot stay the same when instantaneous travel comes into play. The JD Mk1 is the same as every jump drive with terrible accuracy. I was thinking more along the lines of limitations that consume time. The third suggestion isn't my favourite either, but i'd welcome any counter suggestions.

I could still make a hell of a lot more money jumptrading Xeno Relics with a Bustard. If you nerf the already crap sell price for the human cargo, I can just be jumping relics back and forth and making a crapload of money while you are making almost nothing with your human cargo.
(03-11-2019, 11:04 PM)Greylock97 Wrote: [ -> ]

2. JD Mk 1

3. Get out.

I could still make a hell of a lot more money jumptrading Xeno Relics with a Bustard. If you nerf the already crap sell price for the human cargo, I can just be jumping relics back and forth and making a crapload of money while you are making almost nothing with your human cargo.

It’s not about making money. Hell, for the minimal effort required compared to standard trading it should be less profitable. It’s about bringing something new to liners to set them apart.
"Express Luxury Transportation"

^^ I disagree with this statement. The fun part of RPing a passenger transport is getting from one place to the next. Liners are about the journey. Passengers pay for the Cruise part, not just the destination.

This seems like it would be rough on the OS&C ID, especially start up costs for new ships.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that you are trying to come up with new ideas to make liners more fun. Anything that helps increase interest in an under used part of the Mod is great. I just think that this idea requires some more thought to address some issues.

"A possible "purpose" of liners I can imagine is one that gets additional credits for transporting human passengers. Possibly even have a more advanced system that makes those passengers require certain goods such as water, food rations/luxury food etc. in cargo hold which they consume during the trip."

^^ I think this is an interesting idea. It seems like it could be easier to implement, as it's basically just an ongoing "trade event" for liners.
(03-12-2019, 01:36 PM)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2019, 11:04 PM)Greylock97 Wrote: [ -> ]

2. JD Mk 1

3. Get out.

It’s not about making money. Hell, for the minimal effort required compared to standard trading it should be less profitable. It’s about bringing something new to liners to set them apart.

I fail to see how wasting the Devs time with setting liners apart is worth it to anyone. There are so many other things that they could be spending their time on that are more relevant than setting liners apart from other ships. Generally people fly liners for roleplay, not trading. But here you are saying that we should "welcome jumptrading", and you want it to still be less profitable than it would be with the present prices?

Let me do a quick rundown for you. Jump drive batteries currently cost 10,000 credits each. Currently, jumpdrives use 420-450 batteries minimum (420 for JD2, 450 for 3 & 4), so you're looking at 4.2 mil to 4.5 mil per jump. Nerfing prices and cargo capacity would effectively remove any chance at profit. Actually, it is barely profitable as is.

If you add on to what your original suggestion was with making this special liner drive that you were suggesting have limited range, you would lose a lot of money, instead of making any at all.

Take it from a faction that jumptrades more than pretty much anyone else: There are already very few profitable jumptrade routes. Passengers are not one of them. You're better off jumping stuff like Xeno Relics and Premium Scrap.
Pages: 1 2