Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How to avoid losing ships - clarification needed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It happened to me - and I suppose that also for many of You.
Losing ships is a bummer - a specially if You put a lot of effort to creating an your own RP story, visiting stations/systems and collecting equipment and stuff. It happened to me - and I suppose that also for many of You. To be frank it happened to me twice - first time - I must admit that I most likely simply screwed up and forgot about my third and secondary account. Yet second time was different - server scripts simply removed several of my characters due inactivity. In my oppinion - we were dealing with server-error - yet it seems: that there is nothing what it could be done about it.

In my opinion - yet there IS something what could be done.
After fail in my restore ships thread - I was feel powerless and lost almost all my will to continue of playing - yet it seems that I still am somehow attached to this community. I'm not done yet - my ships might be lost - yet In my opinion - there is something what could be done.

What is considered as 'activity' on server site?
I know that it is a lot to test and check - yet what we need it proper clarification - guidelines - supported by mentioned tests : what is considered as 'activity' on server site. During my verbal scuffles with admin team - I received an info that allegedly there are some actions with are sufficient to maintain the character active - list below:
  • undock and then dock again
  • unmount/mount equipment on the ship
Yet that list still require confirmation - is that really enough to keep the characters active? Or maybe there are more of actions with are considered as sufficient to prevent deletion? Maybe: sending messages in the local/private chat? Maybe: using the in-game console commands? Maybe: bribing the NPC in bar? Maybe: shuffling the goods in cargo hold?
After the list is confirmed and finished - I request to add such guidelines in server rules or to list of the hints which are shown in game.

PS. This thread was created in order to help future players - not to stigmatise admin team - they doing hella good job maintain the server alive and keeping community in check.
/refresh
I feel like I should mention the /refresh command?

Edit: dammit Laz.
More or less, if you don't need to undock, it doesn't need to be a ship. If you really really want a ship that doesn't need to undock, it doesn't need to be anything other than a Startracker from a /restart that has the name you need it to have, in which case losing it is no big deal.

I lost everything to inactivity wipes. If you don't play a ship for 6 months, and I know play can be very sporadic, you probably don't need it.

The single most important thing is to pool your resources into a bank ship, and don't lose that - if you have your bank, everything else can be re-bought.

Or share your resources with friends or a faction, which admittedly comes with risks.

Extending the timing of the inactivity wipe could be beneficial for some players, but then we've got __ months / years of ships clogging the server, rather than the current 6 months, not to mention that none of those ships would be contributing to server activity.

For the sake of the list, I think buying or selling cargo also counts.

My condolences.
(04-02-2019, 08:53 PM)Bannorn Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like I should mention the /refresh command?

It's awesome news for all players around!
As long there is a warranty that using that command truly prevent from deletion ships due inactivity.

Unfortunately for me - it was implemented too late...
Several billions credits and hundreds of hours gameplay too late...

(04-02-2019, 09:40 PM)Champ Wrote: [ -> ]The single most important thing is to pool your resources into a bank ship, and don't lose that - if you have your bank, everything else can be re-bought.
I've lost 3 of 6 main bank characters - and before: several other with hundreds of thousands credits... But I guess that I have to deal with it - no matter how frustrating it is.

(04-02-2019, 09:40 PM)Champ Wrote: [ -> ]My condolences.
Thanks.