Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Snippets of Niklas Mayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Duisburg, New Berlin. Republican Shipping HQ

Niklas leans back against his chair, pushing himself away from his desk. His desk sitting in the back middle of his office facing the office`s main entrance. Desk made out of solid wooden, and beautifully varnished. On his desk is his computer, personal communicator, models of the Republican Colossus, Rheinwehr Elbe, and a framed photograph of his parents.

Niklas stands up with his whiskey glass in hand, and walks over to his office viewing glass. He peers out, taking a sip of his whiskey while staring at Planet New Berlin in the far distance. The office main lights are off, expect for above his desk.

He drifts into thought, thinking back to various stages in his life. When he was a child sitting at the humble dinner table, eating his meal while listening to his parents arguing over topics he cant remember. His father pushing his food aside, and raising his voice. His mother leaving the table, reaching above the cabinets retrieving a dark, thin covered book. Walking back to the table and slamming it down. Niklas recalling his mothers words “this is why we are doing it, there is no other reason”, before his father taking the book and throwing it across the room. Niklas getting up and running out of the room, down the passage into his bedroom. The air in his room, cold and hostile compared to the warm and embracing feeling of the kitchen.

Then taking him to his university days, while he was in his business class. Listening to his lecturer, carrying on about economics, and giving references to Rheinland/ Liberty war and its aftermath. Recalling himself asking his lecturer what he would do if he had to return Rheinland to what it was economic wise. Taking notes as the lecturer is explaining the hypothetical process.

Skipping forward to where he is returning home to Rheinland aboard a transport. Talking to the crew as they flew through Stuttgart. Seeing the smiles of the crews faces, not because they were being payed well, or that they had great benefits, but because they enjoyed their job, it was their calling, their passion.

Niklas is pulled back from his day dreaming by his office door opening. A young lady steps in where a formal business suit, mid shin length dark green skirt, white button up shirt, with a dark green blazer, and dark green high heels. “Mr. Mayer sir” she says in quiet stern voice, “your visitor has arrived. He is in your meeting room” Niklas replies briskly “Let him come in here, and you can go home”. A few minutes pass, and the adjacent door to the back of the office opens. A dark hooded figure walks in, and closes the door behind him. The person is wearing a black hood, with a black coat, a plain grey shirt with dark grey pants. Around his neck is dark green scarf, the persons face covered in a bandana and tinted goggles. He speaks up with a husky voice, “you called for me sir?”

Niklas replies still staring out the window, “is everything still going according to plan?” he turns to face his guest. “cause I told if there is any delays I need to know right away, I cant have my plans interrupted because of misinformation”

The hooded man nods his head, " Yes sir, everything is falling into place. The effort we put into that system, and the accidental message that was sent, drew the attention of right people from both sides. All is safe and accounted for, and have already set up a perimeter in an isolated spot." He turns and starts to head back out, " but sir what if either side comes across it?"

Niklas drinks the last of his whiskey and mumbles, " what we do is for Rheinland, always for Rheinland. They will understand, if not today, they will one day"

Niklas walks to his office window that looks out to New Berlin, whiskey glass in hand. He admires the view he is fortunate to have. Agatha run diagnostic checks on Duisburg. Scan for any foreign elements, devices and unauthorised personnel. Niklas commands, hearing the tiredness in his voice.

Good day Mr. Mayer. I have run my scans on Duisburg, and I am pleased to inform you that there is no foreign devices within Duisburg. Duisburg has no unauthorised personnel either. All staff that should be here have been accounted for. Should I continue my scan according to my configuration?

Yes, continue the scan as prescribed until I say otherwise. On another note, have you updated the configurations on all Republican equipment?

Yes sir, my systems have updated all machinery and I have been taken off site to a secure location. I have updated your retinal, voice, finger prints and DNA information as requested.

Thank you Agatha, one can’t be too careful these days. Test your connections to all Republican stations.

Sir, I am connected to all stations at 100% across all bandwidth and channels. I have taken the liberty to include my own frequency in the event that we have a breach in Republican comms.

That’s good Agatha, you have out done yourself. Regarding Sigma 21, do you still have contact with the Lubeck crew?

Yes sir. The crew are well and have made steady progress on the ground. I have identified some crew have left the camps perimeter. According to records, they are going to the Rheinwehr.

What about our base in Sigma 21, have we been detected yet?

No sir, last report was a few vessels passing by around 20k away. Our ping reached their vessels undetected, but they were not within range to pick up our signal source. Please note that the station nearby, Radioactive Station was destroyed by hostiles. Some of which destroyed Lubeck on both attempts of construction.

Don’t worry Agatha, if they haven’t found it by now, they won’t go looking for it again. But for safety measure, I will be contacting our friend in the Rheinwehr to see if we can get a cloaking device for that station.

Sir, Ingolstadt still needs to be fully evacuated, dismantled and shipped out to a new location. You need to contact DHC asap so that this can get underway before the Dark matter storm hits. Then it will be too late. I advise that when it is relocated, that you have modifications done to it according to the system that it is relocated too. Where did you have in mind sir?

I haven’t actually thought about it. I have been so busy dealing with other matters. Well, we need to make inroads to Cologne to have a “halfway point” to Gallia like we have in Stuttgart for Bretonia. Alternatively we can look to the Sigmas. Possible Sigma 21 by Saigon and we use it as a trading center between Rheinland and Kusari, or Sigma 15 as a storage depot or trade center linking to Kusari and the Core.

Sir I would recommend Sigma 21 once the war is over, and we have won that system. Doing so now would be foolish and a loss of resources and life.

Yes I know that Agatha, I know very well what will happen if we did that. So for now, give the instruction to the staff there to clear out and relocate to Duisburg. I have contacted DHC to propose recommended expansion to Duisburg, so soon we will be going under another renovation. Once the staff has left Ingolstadt, shut the station down, lock it down and switch off all systems with the exception of the on-board weapons. They need to remain on so that no one tries to get in. Don’t be alarmed when the last staff leaves, that they start removing crucial components for the life support systems. They are doing their job. Your job is to watch over it until the move begins.

Sir with regards to what you and your visitor Van Heerden was talking about the other day, I have gathered some information. You can inform Ms Bauer that to feed 352 million people she will need 1705793 km2 of area. This will include space for crops, fruit and livestock. She will need to buy out current farmers, or alternatively buy what is required from various sources around Sirius. If she can consolidate the entrepreneur farmers under one corporation, she will have rough half of what she would require. As well as I have a list of the most successful crops, that give the most per area, as well as to reproduce for the following year.

Thank you Agatha. Give me a short list of what is viable and ill pass it along to Ms Bauer. Will this include help from her friends?

Unfortunaely sir, I don’t have the information as yet about that specific crop. These are estimates according to size of crops, rotation period. As I will mention, these are only recommendations. As when it comes to livestock, the best options will be Cattle and Hogs. They will provide natural fertiliser and offer a variety compared to others.

CropAcresYieldTonnes producedPrice per Bushel Rice300k7692224211k$45 Peanuts187k40077115410k$20 Tobacco31966k196762872k$20 Potato105k43445032k$35 Apple31818k18.65907k$35 Grape103440k7.627883k$10 Banana860k6.986000$25 Strawberry59895k25.21511k$10 Peach10254k8.32852k$15

Anneke!! Niklas shouts, calling his secretary into his office.

The door linking her office to his opens and she pops her head in. yes sir?

You can send Ms Bauer in please with Ms van Heerden.

Yes sir, of course. I’ll send them in immediately.

Moments pass and Ms Bauer walks into the office in ladies business suit, black in color with a light blue shirt. Hair tied up in a ponytail. Mr Mayer it is lovely to see you again. She puts her hand out to shake his hand.

Ms Bauer, it is lovely to see you too. I hope you trip here was alright. Please, take a seat we have much to discuss. Please speak freely, Ms van Heerden is a trusted individual and will be around you a lot in the near future.

Ms Bauer looks confused and looks around the room to see who he is talking about. The door behind Niklas’ desk opens and in steps Ms van Heerden. Oh, ok. Hello there. If you trust this person, then who am I to say otherwise.

Ms van Heerden nods her head to acknowledge Ms Bauer.

Now Ms Bauer the reason I have asked you to come here is that I have some news to share with you. I must stress that I am still speaking to experts in the agricultural field regarding your research. But I have been informed details of your research and it looks like you may be onto something. I have figures regarding crop counts, yields, production, area usage and livestock. I haven’t taken into account about a certain plant yet, as I am still waiting for a representative from that field to contact me.

Ms Bauer smiles as this news excites here.

Before you speak, please let me finish. I have contacted certain people to assist us with constructing a Biodome so that we can run tests. Once they get back to me, I will be contacting a friend from DHC to help construct the Biodome. I have made steps towards a better situation, but that will take some time if all goes well. You may now speak

Ms Bauer smiles from ear to ear as this is all sounding good and her dreams might be coming true. Thank you so much. I didn’t think it would actually be taken this far.

I didn’t do this for you, I am doing this for Rheinland. You just so happened to have the research and brought it to me. You will be compensated accordingly when the time comes as promised. You served Rheinland proud Ms Bauer. I have concerns though which is why I have called you both here today. Ms Bauer, I see you as an important person and I feel that if news got out now about you and your information, you could be a target. Reason is that this is your project, you are the brains behind it and if they think that killing you would stop this, I am sure they would try their best. Because this will cause a possible political storm if the wrong people find out. So for your safety I will have Ms van Heerden with you most of the time while you are away on a “sabbatical”.

Ms Bauer looks at him confused. A sabbatical??

Yes. I have chartered the Rheinpride, a Republican Shipping Luxury liner to travel around Sirius. You will be onboard this afternoon with Ms van Heerden, some RS security personnel, and a few other guests of mine. All expenses paid for of course, and you will have the facilities you need to work, relax and play. If you need anything, just inform Ms van Heerden and she will make it happen. At no time will you communicate with anyone without supervision. This is to make sure your location stays classified. You will leave from here, and if you so wish, you can contact your family and explain that you going away for work. Say your goodbyes and board the Rheinpride.

Mr Mayer, I cant leave now. I still need to pack clothes and equipment and make preparations for my home.

Ms Bauer there is nothing to worry about. We have shops on the liner, which you don’t need to worry about paying for. We have set up a research facility for you. It isn’t fancy, but has what you need and we can get whatever else you need. With regards to your home, let my secretary know what needs to be done and I will see to it personally. He sits next to her and takes her hands. Ms Bauer you are not safe here in Rheinland, I don’t think you will be safe in Bretonia either. Like I said if certain people know what you are doing, they will find you and try repeatedly to kill you, so they can maintain the monopoly. You don’t want either of those, and neither do I. You are in my care, and your safety is my number one priority.

Anneke please come into my office. Niklas says over the intercom.

Yes Mr Mayer, how can I be of assistance? Anneke says cheerfully

Anneke, is it all most time for you to leave?

Yes sir, unless you need me to stay and do something for you. She says with a smile

No, no it’s fine. I just wanted to make sure, that’s all. I will see you tomorrow, get your rest and have a good evening

Thank you sir, enjoy your evening too.

Niklas walks to the viewing glass of his office and looks out to New Berlin, thinking to himself of all the pieces in motion, the planning and execution of what started as ideas. Moments pass until he knows that he is the only one on the floor. Agatha, you busy?

The screen next to his office door flickers and comes on, with a females face, Agatha’s face. Good evening Mr Mayer. Or is it morning seeing that there is no time in space as it is forever light. It must be confusing for you I can imagine.

Agatha, it is not confusing, I use the time from New Berlin to determine day and night. It is very simple. Why?? Why think of that of all things?

I am sorry Mr Mayer, I was listening in and it intrigued me as to how you determine time out here as I explained.

Well it doesn’t concern you, you don’t get tired, and you work around the clock.

Well technically sir, I work in electronic components that are situated in all RS stations, and not around an actual clock.

Agatha, sometimes I ask myself why, why am I allowing you to learn? It is just a saying Agatha. Now keep quiet and answer where I speak to you.

Mr Mayer that is what I have been doing. Are you well? I think you may be a bit tired. You show signs of stress and sleep deprivation.

Agatha, I am fine, trust me. I’m telling you to reply within context of what I am asking you. Do you understand?

Yes Mr Mayer, I understand and will update my records so I don’t forget.

Thank you. Now on to business. Where is Rheinpride?

Mr Mayer, Rheinpride is in Gallia space as we speak. It will be docking soon I presume to refuel and take on supplies requested by Ms Bauer. I have kept in contact with the captain and it has been smooth sailing. It picked up unknown hostiles in Zurich, managed to keep out of range and subsequently made its way to Picardy undetected.

Give me an update on Ingolstadt.

Ingolstadt has been locked down, and all storage facilities have been emptied. Republican own cargo has been moved to Mainz and all other cargo has been relocated back to Nuremburg.

How is Freeport X?

Freeport X is still gone undetected and conflict in the region has died down. There is little to no activity at Freeport X. Besides crew flying from Sprague to Freeport X. Cargo holds are currently almost empty.

How is Harrismith Station?

Harrismith station is well. Station admin has reported for duty, but I will monitor the situation and take the necessary action. Cargo holds are also near empty besides what it needs to run. I suggest getting Azurite Gas and Iridium on board for storage.

How is Kitten Shelter?

Kitten Shelter is still in the required state as requested. There has been vessels approaching and docking, with minimal crew on board. We have had people interested in buying it. Currently it is not advisable to sell due to the anomaly.

Lastly, Duisburg, give me the update.

Duisburg is being maintained, but expansion progress is running very slowly. Last event was Munchen offloading the require commodities for the expansion 2 weeks again. Besides that, we have had a pilot visiting on a regular basis to sell us his scientific data on the anomalies. We have paid him very well. But station funds have been depleted. I recommend get funding or find an alternative to fund this project Mr Mayer.

How are the crew on Planet Saigon?

They are well sir. A few would like to return home to their families. This will need to have replacements sent with the next supply run.

How is our station in Sigma 21?

It still has gone undetected. Scanners show that the recent passers-by were Rheinwehr. They were heading to the Honshu Jump hole.

Agatha, with Ingolstadt, what should we do with it? Should we leave it locked down in Munich or move it to another location?

It would be advised to move it to another location as when the dark matter storm hits, it will make accessing Ingolstadt very difficult, and no crew will be able to work on the station due to the intensity of the storm. Relocation will be the best option I do have a few options in mind.

We could move it to Sigma 15 near planet Hannersee. This can serve as supply station for Sigma 15, Omicron Rho and Sigma 21.

We could move it to Sigma 13, if the Rheinwehr takes Sigma 13, this will help with rebuilding trade routes to Kusari. It could be a storage depot between the two houses.

We could move it to Sigma 21, for the same reason. Will provide and alternative route to Kusari, be a supply depot for Saigon, and possible a trading center for the region. This will push Republican influence in the region.

We could move it to Cologne near the Jump hole to Zurich as a storage depot between the two houses. With the Jump hole to Hamburg, we will be able to keep the station supplied and replenish what Gallia needs.

Lastly Bering could be an option as well but comes with its dangers. Such as a high Unioner presence, pirates and unknown factions, and other criminal factions within that system. It would need to be near the Jump hole or Jump gate to Hamburg. At this moment it will be high advised not to move it there.

Thank you Agatha, you have done well. I want you to send a comm out to all <RS> staff informing them that our Research & Development division is now operational. I just need to find someone to be in charge of it, and provide over watch. We can’t let all of our money flow into that without any results. You can run it for now until such time that I get a replacement.

Thank you Mr Mayer. Are there any specifics I should mention?

Yes, all research will need to be forwarded to the Executive Board. From there they will review all applicants who request it. Approved research will get the funding they need and support of RS. Research not approved will be confiscated and handled accordingly. Those not successful will be placed to be reviewed at a later stage.

Yes Mr Mayer. I will put a communication through now and send you a copy for your records.

Thank you Agatha. I think ill go home soon and rest for a bit.

Mr Mayer, I have a question I have been meaning to ask you. I just didn’t know how to word it, without offending yourself or to cause concern

What is it?

I would like to know, if a space vessel can be made for me so that I can explore. So that I leave the confines of the system I am in. I want to see what is out beyond my scanners range.

Agatha, I would love to do that for you, but firstly we don’t have the technology to do such and to keep you safe. We will need to partially separate you from you core like a drone. So that you could “leave” without a concern for infection or worry about you getting into the wrong hands. It would be a difficult task to do, like to switch you off remotely and pull you back to HQ so that whoever gets you cant infiltrate you. As when they do manage to get through, they must find that the vessel is wiped clean with no trace. I will look into it, but I seriously cant promise anything, not yet.

I understand Mr Mayer. I will go now, and keep monitoring the stations and keep record of events.

Thank you for understanding.

Niklas calls to his assistant, Anneke, come into my office please.

Anneke opens his office door, walks in and closes the door behind her. Yes Mr Mayer, what can I do for you today?

Anneke please get hold of Ms Van Heerden immediately, I need to discuss some things with her. Get Ms Bauer on comm as well, I’ll need to speak to her immediately after my talk with Ms. Van Heerden. Send in the captain that was assigned to pilot the modified Colossus.

Yes Mr. Mayer ill get on it immediately. Would you like something to eat or drink? It is almost lunch time.

Yes please Anneke, I would like some Apfelstrudel, and some coffee.

Right away Mr Mayer.

==Moments later==

The screen against the wall starts flickering, and an image appears with Talita van Heerdens face.

Guten Tag Ms. Van Heerden, how are things on your side?

They are fine sir. I left Ms Bauer in Zurich system, they made their way to Picardy, did a tour of the system and made their way back into Zurich. Myself, I have gone back into Rheinland under a civilian vessel to remain undetected. I want to speak to my Direktor about important matters.

If you have time available after your meeting, please escort Rheinpride back through Rheinland to Sigma 15. Get clearance for the vessel to refuel and take on supplies at Hammersee. I’ll be sending a special convoy to Saigon to build a settlement and I need Ms Bauer there with the land surveyor to identify prime farming regions, and that she can finally be worth something to Republican Shipping. Make it as swift as possible, and as soon as you see the convoy, make sure she gets on board and makes landfall.

Yes Sir, I’ll make sure it happens, just inform the captain as I don’t want a situation so close to the front line.

I will be informing him now. There will be a small gift for you when this is all done. Ill speak to you later.

Niklas ends the call, and eats some of his dessert, waiting for Ms Bauer to appear on the screen.

Ms Bauer appears shortly on the screen with excessive static.

Good day Niklas, the signal is not good. We can’t get a video feed of you, are you there?

Ms Bauer, yes I am here. I see there is some interference where about are you?

We in the asteroid field in Zurich, we didn’t have time to move to a clear spot for a better transmission. Is everything ok?

I’ll make this quick then. All is good on my side. Ms van Heerden will be re-joining you shortly to escort you to Sigma 15, there you will be placed onto another vessel that will make landfall on Saigon. You will be with a land surveyor to identify farming regions nearby where the RS crew have made camp. Once you have done that, I want you moved back to Rheinpride in Sigma 15, and instruct the captain to head to Harrismith Station in Omicron Rho. There you will be handed small amounts of Azurite Gas. The Admin of the station will set you up until the next leg of your Journey.

What must I do with the Azurite Gas? Ill identify the best regions for farming within a 100km from base camp. Ill relay transmissions back with a request of what is ….

“Transmission lost” displays across the screen.

I’ll have to pass the message along, just hope there is no broken telephone. Such primitive things.

Anneke sticks her head into his office, Mr Mayer, the Captain is ready.

The Captain of the modified Colossus appears on the screen. Guten Tag Sir, how can I serve you today?

Guten Tag Captain, I have a big task for you with high risks, but great rewards. For you and for Rheinland.

The captain looks around nervously, he moves out of the cameras view, but you can hear him faintly. “is this a prank or is he serious?”

Niklas raises his voice, Captain I am very serious, are you up to the task or should I find someone else?

Sir, I can’t answer without knowing the details first. I….

Captain you are relieved of your duties. Report to Alster Shipyard, there will be a transport ready for you, to take you to Harrismith. Maybe you can gain some courage from the Core who fights Nomads daily and eliminate the Infected. You can learn from them. First Lieutenant I promote you with immediate effect to Captain. You ready to Serve your house?

The Captain walks away, and the new Captain appears on the screen. Yes Sir I am.

Good, you will leave shortly to head to Sigma 15, there you will meet up with Rheinpride. Then you will go to Sigma 21 Saigon and make landfall. Your new passenger from Rheinpride will give you further instruction to what she requires. You will listen and obey. Inform her that the Azurite Gas, she must take the sample and return it to Duisburg.

Captain, you will do whatever it takes to get to Saigon, remember there is a war happening. You need to remain unnoticed. Once you have landed remain there until I tell you otherwise. Try not to die, ok?

Niklas ends the comm abruptly. Agatha, why? I should of sent him to Ingolstadt.

Good day Sir, sending the Captain to Ingolstadt would mean his vessel would not reach Saigon. How would that benefit anyone?

No I’m talking about the Captain I just fired.

Oh…. Well sir, if you sent him to Ingolstadt, he would die due to no life support, and will delay the dismantling of the station. That would be counterproductive. How would that help either?

Are you ok Sir? Are you malfunctioning? Would you like medical assistance?

Agatha it was a sarcastic comment. I was implying how useless and pathetic he is. Oh my word, I seriously wonder what you think sometimes. Because I have no idea and I’m starting to question your intelligence.

Sir, I question my existence for I am here but not physically. In a form as you are in, but rather part of electrical components that can move around electronically, but not on my own like a robot of some sort.

Agatha, I am not going to put you in an artificial body, just so you can travel. We can’t risk having your code tainted, or being infected through transmissions back to Duisburg. You have to understand, you are important to me, and this company. We need you functioning and stable. Once we can duplicate the algorithms, and insure an easy migration in order to have a safe guard if anything had to happen to you. You do know that if you travelled and you didn’t report back, I would need to terminate you. Eradicate all knowledge that you possess, leave no trace at all. That version of you would be gone, and like I said at this stage I can’t make a stable duplicate version of you. I keep getting bad destructive code out of you. In the testing simulation, you keep switching off the stations, and mess around with the life support. We can’t have that, I can’t have that. So once we find a solution we can revisit this ok?

Yes Sir, I understand. I will help were I can. I would recommend searching Sirius to find out if anyone has another AI protocol that we can use to compare me. Possibly we can identify the bug?

Please hold Sir, I am running a scan….
The screen flickers for a few seconds

Agatha are you ok? What is wrong? Niklas picks up his coffee, takes a sip and spits it back into the cup. Damn it, it’s cold already. Today is not my day.

The screen lights up again with Agatha’s face. Sir I have scanned my records, and I have a documented log from Munchen in Cologne System earlier this year. The captain of this ship came into contact with an AI vessel. It appears to be a drone that was on a recon mission. He made contact, which seemed to go well. There was no hostile intention from the Drone, and no hostile intentions from the Captain. Possibly we can send a small security wing to Cologne system in case this drone returns. Then we can possibly establish a relationship. Alternatively I recommend contacting Rheinland Federal Polizei or the Rheinwehr to see if they had any contact with any AI drones.

Thank you Agatha, I will look into this matter immediately with the Konteradmiral, maybe even Talita knows if MAD has encountered any AI drones. My only concern is their level of intelligence. We can’t have them upgrade you or fix you only to slip in bad code for their surveillance.

Sir, we could run a simulation to see how I will react. We can run millions of series of events in a couple of hours and see the possible outcomes.

Agatha, sometimes you amaze me

Sir, I try but I’m not doing this to ensure I get to be a physical being.

No man Agatha, simulations, calculations. I’ll need a surveyor vessel or a research vessel to head to Saigon. See if it can do a planetary scan, maybe go into the atmosphere for more detail. Return to Duisburg and give you the information to run simulations on farming, and population growth. Use the data you provided me when Ms Bauer first gave her info. I could just kiss you!!!!

Agatha turns a shade of Red from her usual blue self and switches off.

Agatha?? Niklas knocks on the screen, hello??? You there???