Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Omicrons need new life breathed into them to keep that mysterious feel that originally made them so unique and attractive. If that means adding new, out of the way systems with high risks and high rewards, then I'm fully behind the idea.
(04-29-2019, 09:32 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]There's been a lot of talk about this recently both within the community and within the development team. I am cautious here, as adding new systems goes against half a decade of conventional development wisdom, but I'm interested in what everyone else has to say about it. Please post thoughts/concerns below, especially if you voted yes with stipulations.

It goes against a decade of conventional development wisdom if you add buffer systems. No one wants 10 new systems wedged between places like Alpha and Gamma, and I think people would agree that there are still too many buffers in the mod that need to be removed (cough cough, Omega-58, Omicron Chi, Omicron Sigma, cough cough).

Adding one-way jump connections in Kappa that let you get to a new Omicron does not violate this philosophy. Adding new systems that you can only reach via JDs does not violate this philosophy either. What people want is content, that's not intrusive, and creates new opportunities for exploration and roleplay.

However, as much as I DO want new systems, on closer inspection, I really don't feel confident that our current level of system design could facilitate this without risking being detrimental. We need smarter connections and overhaul(s) first, I think. At least certainly in the Edge Worlds - which I assume is where most people want these new systems to be.
I believe that, if we want more hidden goodies, it'd be worth considering the idea of adding them to already existing systems, rather than bloating Sirius even more. We already have a gazillion of places nobody really goes to. Reshuffle a couple systems, like Kansas, Drake or Inverness to name a few in a region I'm familiar with, and put in some unique wrecks, human and Nomad ruins, a few anomalies, etc.
Make the current systems and connections better before thinking about adding more. You've already got enough work as is, and you hardly work on those projects.
The whole reason I started playing Disco about 9/10 year ago was because of the difference to Vanilla.
Floating around a brand new system keeps freelancer alive, but I encore people's saying. Lets not create another Kansas, nice big system emptied quickly with next to no decent trade link or RP. Give things a meaning, I mean you brought Gallia into the game, and smashed it all the way down to Liberty. The PEWs along the way have being fun, finding french names and ships wandering around has always amused me.

Four things to think about before system building.

Purpose, storyline, meaning and where?

Purpose: Why is the system there, what trade links can it have, what factions are within, are both lawful and unlawful present, can it be a new mining box?

Storyline: Can the new system be added into a storyline?

Meaning: Think about if you were to add a system in Liberty, technically this is or should be pre knowledgeable and made worth while, what does this new system bring for Disco, good for Lawful, unlawful, where is in disco quiet and needs activity, could this system add that.

Where: Dump a new system, but where to add it, give unlawfuls a chance to thrive? Give miners a boost? Naval system...

On a serious note though I'm looking for a good harsh world of Lawful/Unlawful/Mining section we can all play around serious good cash but seriously dangerous zones keep this game flowing because of fun factors, and pews.

Bellck
(04-29-2019, 10:04 PM)Miaou Wrote: [ -> ]Make the current systems and connections better before thinking about adding more. You've already got enough work as is, and you hardly work on those projects.

You aren't allowed to add a new system without fixing Kansas first.

Sincerely, a guy that has spent only about a day dipping in and out of it and already wants to declare holy war.
(04-29-2019, 10:14 PM)Mark_Brown Wrote: [ -> ]The whole reason I started playing Disco about 9/10 year ago was because of the difference to Vanilla.
Floating around a brand new system keeps freelancer alive, but I encore people's saying. Lets not create another Kansas,

Bellck

(04-29-2019, 10:14 PM)Wildkins Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2019, 10:04 PM)Miaou Wrote: [ -> ]Make the current systems and connections better before thinking about adding more. You've already got enough work as is, and you hardly work on those projects.

You aren't allowed to add a new system without fixing Kansas first.

Sincerely, Everyone

Yep, USI back when I was 1ic added so much RP towards bringing Planet Edmonton dockable, and then since they took out the mining zone it died very quickly. POB's now in Texas, nobody enters Kansas now because there is no reason too.
(04-29-2019, 10:17 PM)Mark_Brown Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, USI back when I was 1ic added so much RP towards bringing Planet Edmonton dockable, and then since they took out the mining zone it died very quickly. POB's now in Texas, nobody enters Kansas now because there is no reason too.

Wrong system.

https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/#q=Kansas
https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/#q=Alberta
New Systems shouldn't be there to lengthen a trip but add a place to go. Sigma feels like another Zeta - there to make a trip longer and more annoying. No one liked going through mapless Unknown trying to get to Tohuku. Connecting Epsilon/Mu directly with Tohuku would be better than Sigma, which is just a new Zeta. Which was removed. Now there's Sigma.

I was all for pruning the mass of systems before, and I do like some of the new ones now. But I think we need to focus on more places to go, and not more places to pass through.
I voted yay

It opens up possibilities of new commodities (new icons (happy) ), new factions (not sure if that is possible), new routes, new combat situations, new story lines, more POB (tho some people would probably moan at that)

But

Would it thinner the players, or would it encourage more to join, not sure
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8