Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Xeno VHF - "Rancor" (WIP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
https://p3d.in/s9nBk

Currently WIP
Feedback and suggestions highly appretiated
(05-04-2019, 10:04 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]https://p3d.in/I6bRl

Currently WIP:
-Wings
-The Cockpit part of the front

Feedback and suggestions highly appretiated

Looks good.
I don't really like this model. It feels rather too high tech to be a Xeno thing, and too edgy to be something most individuals would even fly. The overall shape is kinda interesting, but I don't think it was taken in the right direction.
I feel like a xeno ship would be something very civillian looking. Like- a modified non-combat ship, even, or a ship that was originally something built to mine in the silverton asteroid field and turned into a fighter with strip-downs, more engines, and guns.

Asymmetry should be its friend, here.
(05-04-2019, 12:09 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really like this model. It feels rather too high tech to be a Xeno thing, and too edgy to be something most individuals would even fly. The overall shape is kinda interesting, but I don't think it was taken in the right direction.

We think it was and it is the desired outcome that the Xeno player-base wants. The team must understand and respect that notion and work with it rather than against it. After-all, it is in everyone's best interests to give factions freedom of interpretation. Even if it's incredibly asinine to put heavy swords on every ship.

Your opinion is noted, but we will have to respectfully decline such advice and instead assert that the current direction is in fact correct from our perspective. If there are quality-issues on a technical level then we will certainly work them out. Otherwise, we see no reason to drastically change anything worked up thus far.

It should once more be noted that the Xenos have had centuries to come up with as many failed designs as they feel necessary. Having existed for so long, it is thus highly likely that disgruntled engineers would be among our ranks. There also exist news articles that reinforce this line of thinking, stating that the Xeno problem is not one of expertise, but of tools. Tools that we could now very well afford to purchase in small amounts and thus enable the construction of fighter-craft such as this one.
There's an asthetic tempation to make everything look super-high tech. But I think if things look superhigh tech they actually look worse.

This is a dieselpunk universe. Some of the house lawfuls don't even look very high tech, and they should be technically ahead of everyone else. Bretonia is steampunk, Rheinland is chunky dieselpunk, Kusari throws these Meiji era asthetics onto its ships.

I'd love to see a xeno ship that looks like this:

[Image: s0A5ezk.jpg?1]
(05-04-2019, 12:31 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]There's an asthetic tempation to make everything look super-high tech. But I think if things look superhigh tech they actually look worse.

This is a dieselpunk universe. Some of the house lawfuls don't even look very high tech, and they should be technically ahead of everyone else. Bretonia is steampunk, Rheinland is chunky dieselpunk, Kusari throws these Meiji era asthetics onto its ships.

Correct, that is what you think. And what we think is that the current design direction of the ship fits our theme and can be made to look rugged and utilitarian with good textures. How the ships look is ultimately up to our inclinations on design, it is worth noting that the process was one of gradual development and constant interpretation of Xeno behavior. There are several ships in the mod that currently look rather high-tech, this would not be one of them and the textures would enforce that much.
(05-04-2019, 12:31 PM)Riehl Wrote: [ -> ]There's an asthetic tempation to make everything look super-high tech. But I think if things look superhigh tech they actually look worse.

I'd love to see a xeno ship that looks like this:

[Image: s0A5ezk.jpg?1]

Keep your perception of Xeno ships away from the faction you're not related to in any way.
The current model looks great as it is, and most of the XA- are looking forward to see the development of it.
(05-04-2019, 12:43 PM)Pitohui Wrote: [ -> ]Keep your perception of Xeno ships away from the faction you're not related to in any way.

I have four xeno indies. We all play the same game, dude, there isn't some Oorp q_q storm behind every comment and remark.

(05-04-2019, 12:36 PM)Reeves Wrote: [ -> ]Correct, that is what you think. And what we think is that the current design direction of the ship fits our theme and can be made to look rugged and utilitarian with good textures. How the ships look is ultimately up to our inclinations on design, it is worth noting that the process was one of gradual development and constant interpretation of Xeno behavior. There are several ships in the mod that currently look rather high-tech, this would not be one of them and the textures would enforce that much.

That's fair enough and the considerations of the playerbase should always come first. It certainly could look rugged with the right textures, and does look a bit like an older, disused/inspired version of navy tech/parts. There's no doubt that it could work, it's just not my headcannon.
Does Xeno NPC faction have anything to do with snakes? Because this looks like reflection of number of xeno factions rather what Xenos actually are.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6