Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reformatting Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
#1. Is installing Vista on it's own partition and leaving the rest for storage space a good idea? I heard it's much easier to defrag that way, because it only needs to defrag a small partition. If so, what size of a partition would it need to be?

#2. Would it be wise to make a "drive image" or whatever they call it RIGHT after reinstalling? That way I have the image of a fresh install. If so, how large would that file be? Would it be wise to put the image on a CD and delete it off of my computer to save space?

That's about all I have for now..

Thanks
' Wrote:#1. Is installing Vista on it's own partition and leaving the rest for storage space a good idea? I heard it's much easier to defrag that way, because it only needs to defrag a small partition. If so, what size of a partition would it need to be?
Yes and no.

You still need to defrag the other drive also. What happens is, by installing the OS on one and all the apps on another partition, you wind up with a C:\ that fills up with temp files in no time flat. If you really must go this route, please please PLEASE use Faronics' System Cleaner weekly.

' Wrote:#2. Would it be wise to make a "drive image" or whatever they call it RIGHT after reinstalling? That way I have the image of a fresh install. If so, how large would that file be? Would it be wise to put the image on a CD and delete it off of my computer to save space?

Look at it this way: If you have the DVD to reinstall your OS, do you really want a 5 gig file hogging space when all it does is look pretty? (I'd say no, just keep the disc)
Gotchya, thanks Boss
Well personally, when I install my OS, I make an image of it all after I install the essential programs and all that.. cause installing drivers, DirectX, MS Office, and many other programs takes even longer than installing an OS.

With an image, you can have your OS re-installed effectively in 10ish minutes.
' Wrote:Well personally, when I install my OS, I make an image of it all after I install the essential programs and all that.. cause installing drivers, DirectX, MS Office, and many other programs takes even longer than installing an OS.

With an image, you can have your OS re-installed effectively in 10ish minutes.

That's actually a good idea! Thanks.