Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Probs with graphics card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As some of you may have noticed , i have been having a heck load of problems getting Freelancer running. First it was the antivirus , and now my graphics card is acting up.

Basically what happens is that i cant get my graphics adaptor "SiS Mirage 3 Graphics" to work properly. To start with , the computer doesnt even start up when i have it set up. It only did once , today , but the screen turned dark and it didnt work again after a few seconds. Besides that , the computer is insisting on having some stupid "Standart VGA Graphics Adaptor" ( literal translation from my comp , which is in portuguese, so it might not be accurate) set up. Aparently , with that one set up , DirectX doesnt work properly. Also, whenever i try to update SiS Mirage 3 Graphics , it sets up the other one again!... What this means for FL ? Well , whenever i try to start it up , it says my graphics card isnt capable of 3D...

Aaand , this is basically it. Anyone have any idea how to make this work again ? Cause just a few days ago i was playing FL SP with no probs at all. Oh , and major kudos to Boss whos helped me so far.

Now , here are some pictures:

[Image: gc1.th.jpg]
The 2 adaptor thingys

[img=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5080/gc2.th.jpg]
The error i get. I think someone else has been getting it as well.

[img=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8219/gc3.th.jpg]
Some stuff bout Direct X and etc

Oh , by the way , i tried this with and without Discovery. The results were the same.

Anyways , thank you all in advance
Uhm, question:
Why don't you have a name brand graphics card? Like nVidia or ATi?
Cause im on my moms laptop x_x

If i was on my regular comp , this would much easier.

And this was a sort of offering by the ministery of education and the phone company TMN. Its like , you pay 150 for the comp , but u gotta pay for some wireless internet for a year or so. Its part of some programme so that every student has a computer for work & stuff
Wait, issued by the government?... I'd give that laptop a thorough investigation if I were you. Never trust anything that the government gives you, that involves electronics..... Maybe that;s just my paranoid American self talking.:mellow:

Please no CIA knocking on my door. :unsure:

But on a serious note:
It sounds like the orginal setup for the laptop was done as such that you could not modify anything on it, and still have it working. A lot of companies do that to their computers to prevent scripters and hackers from gaining unauthorized access (Read Dell Computers). Me personally, I would see if swapping out the graphics card does anything, if it has a seperate card from the motherboard. If that works, than your current card might not be compatable with the motherboard. If it doesn't work, well, read up in my post. I'm still kinda waking up, takes me a couple hours, so I can't really stress my brain out too much right now.

I hope this helps you though.
The thing is , this isnt the original one. The SiS one IS the original one. But this one aparently stuck after i tried updating the SiS one. And it MUST be compatable . Heck , its the one the computer came with! Oh , and i dunno how to piece up a laptop , so i really cant meddle with the hardware. Im almost sure it wouldnt be needed though , since i didnt do anything hardware-wise to put it in this state.
But thanks for the help though!
Than apparently some piece of software mucked it up. Or you played around with it and changed something that wasn't supposed to be changed.

Tried going back to a previous backup?
The only thing i messed around with was updating the SiS thingy. And i already tried setting it back like it was before , but i cant now, like i said in the main post.
Than honestly, it sounds like that laptop is, well, FUBAR. Try to get someone with more knowledge than me on this. My knowledge is limited on topics like this. Personally? I would just scrap it and go with a *cringe* Dell, if they have them where you are residing.
Indeed , in a number of ocasions i felt like scraping this lil bugger. But its not exactly mine , and its all i got now so:(

Now all i need is some warm milk and cookies to lure the tecnowizzes through my chimney. Or was it Santa ... oh well , it oughta do:lol:
No no!

Lure them with Hustler Magazines and PSP's with the new Street Fighter.

I think that'll work.
[Image: nerd.jpg]
Pages: 1 2