Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Law enforcement and smugglers.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32698

Does this sanction mean that all the people speed-docking with Manhattan with a full load of cardimine are out of roleplay and are liable to get all their credits taken away if told to stop (which often includes dieing) by (in this case) the Liberty law? This happens a lot right now, and even more in the past, so this is why I bring up this particular example.
What about a smuggler being chased by the law into Zone 21, and docking with the Alaska gate? Do they get sanctioned if they dock with it? After all, its controlled by the law in the same way, if not more, than the docking ring or mooring fixture of a planet.

Does this sanction also mean that all the people speed-docking with a base with legal cargo (by server rules, so perhaps Plutonium) are out of roleplay and are liable to get all their credits taken away if told to stop by any law?

This seems silly if either of those are yes, because if the law can't stop you, the law shouldnt be able to prevent you from landing on a base. Of course in reality, things would be different. However, this is something that ruins gameplay if the admins step in to deal with it. In my opinion anyway.

In the case of this trading vessel, what is he supposed to do? Not docking means he dies, docking means he gets sanctioned. Not leaving the guy a lot of options here.

For the record, things like this dont affect me, because I never get caught. Even if I did, I wouldn't run. Just makes it worse. My only trading vessel is my IND ship, just in case you thought I was causing a storm for something more than on principle.

What do you think?
I don't think it should be against server rules, but i frown upon it myself, if i get caught i try to run or fight rather then dock, unless i'm already docking when they say something.

If only we had some sort of on/off switch that the lawfuls could flick to stop docking on a particular base for a few seconds if they saw someone had contraband, it's a bit more useful then ordering them to drop the contraband while they ignore you and dock anyway.
There was another thread similer to this, and there was a very good answer. cant find it at the mo but ill try and give you the gist of it.

If you are a smuggler and get caught trying to smuggle, speed docking(especially on a lawfull base/planet) is oorp. The smuggler should try to run and leave the system and try again another time. Zone 21, as we all know, is restricted and again if caught youll feel the guns of those navy chaps:D
Smugglers should not be seen or heard. If they're found, its RP for the lawful to then deny docking rights for the smuggler to any lawful base in the system. This means all the smuggler would have to do is dock at a non-lawful base (or a Junker base). That would pretty much be in-line with RP.

Quote:Zone 21, as we all know, is restricted and again if caught youll feel the guns of those navy chaps
Heh, don't try to breech Zone-21 when its guarded...I mean its always guarded, err...just don't do it!:P
I dont think its oorp, its high on that particular planet for a reason.
Smugglers would have to get to the planet anyways to make it high, otherwise it would be low.

think about it, lol
' Wrote:I dont think its oorp, its high on that particular planet for a reason.
Smugglers would have to get to the planet anyways to make it high, otherwise it would be low.

think about it, lol
Its a high price because its very hard to get it to the planet in question, think about it.
Now consider the role of the mooring fixture - Transports don't ever land on the planet, they latch themselves to the fixture where Heavy Lifters will detatch the cargo pods, offload them onto a nearby station, move the goods onto freighters then ship them planetside.

The Transport would be stuck to the side the of the planet like a sitting duck. All the Police would have to do is stop the Lifters moving in and board the ship. The lawfuls losing a Transport on the planet isn't a valid argument because the Transports don't enter the planet.

The fact smugglers/blockade runners are docking and getting away is an exploitation of a game mechanic, something which in any other case is considered cheating. I think if that sanction has set a precedent, it's a good thing.
well, think about it in real life.. Some cought smugglers run.. some give up..

u think u can stop adv. train with your 100k $ fighter just because u are police?

camp the jumpoholes... u will be alot better chanse to stop speed docking..

if this is a rule by admin that all must stop by an officer command.. its totaly kills the smuggling.
' Wrote:well, think about it in real life.. Some cought smugglers run.. some give up..

u think u can stop adv. train with your 100k $ fighter just because u are police?

camp the jumpoholes... u will be alot better chanse to stop speed docking..

if this is a rule by admin that all must stop by an officer command.. its totaly kills the smuggling.

First off, camping jump holes is severely frowned upon. According to Agiera, jump holes are very dangerous and should not be used for transports. In the eyes of the law, this includes smugglers. Sure, they know that people are supplying the populace with cardi, but they can't tell where it's coming from.

Second, as Jammi said, transports never actually land, they moor to the mooring fixture and heavy lifters and other atmospheric craft unload them. It is a simple task for the law to inform these ground crews that ship callsign "x" is a smuggler and is not to be unloaded.

However, I would say that it is totally in RP for a freighter, or any small craft that can use the docking ring to dock when hailed by the law. Smaller craft are what should be supplying the planets, people in Dromedaries, CSVs and the like, even hauling 5-10 units in on a VHF.

Larger transport ships, pirate trains and the like, should be landing on the nearby Junker/pirate bases to offload and allowing the smaller freighters to do the riskier part. My smuggler has never touched a lawful base (the character is even hostile to most), and yet I have probably made enough cash on it to fund a battleship or 2 by now (I really don't trade much at all, as I find exceptionally boring).

Thing is, if you are flying a larger ship, the law does not need to stop you landing on a base, as, in RP, you do not "land" on the base, but rather attach to the mooring fixture (this is even true on non planetary bases...notice how they all have little mooring points modeled), so you would still be vulnerable to their guns and unable to unload cargo until clearance was given.

One thing I would advocate would be the (re)introduction of smuggled goods on the unlawful bases near to the destination planet(s) (Buffalo, Trafalgar, Beaumont, Rochester, Kreuzburg spring to mind). This would allow small-time smuggler RP so that players could introduce this layer of RP that is hopelessly lacking at the moment.
Landing and docking are one of the issues of game mechanics that we (as players) have always been able to exploit.

Read any good science fiction. You'll have the prepapred landing port in one city, capable of handling the largest freighters. Large ships, which certainly have nothing vaguely resembling aerodymanics, simply aren't going to be even landing on the planet. You then have very small ships - fighter or small freighter sized - that are capable of landing out in the boonies with small loads of smuggled goods.

In RP - yeah, I think if you've got someone coming in for a speed dock and there's a call from the police to halt, your cargo has been scanned (and it's posted on system chat), then the smuggler coming into an established port (such as New York) - you're screwed.

On the other hand, you come into someplace like Gran Canaria with a load of 'smuggled' goods, there's really no established police, you're able to bribe people, and it's more of an open port, anyway.

What SHOULD be happening is that the smuggler coming into a port makes some kind of call to the police. LPI is supposed to be corrupt anyway. "Hey, I'm just curious - how about if I make a donation to your 'widows and orphans fund' and you turn your head?"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6