Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Nation of Malta (L\, QC|, NC) | From: Natio Octavarium | Re: Passage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[ Incoming Transmission ]

[Image: Kelly-Combs-Ministry.png]

Identification: Minister Kelly Combs
Affiliation: Natio Octavarium Ministry of Engineering

To: Nation of Malta

Subject: Border Systems and Passage
Encryption: Very

Good day. Due to recent disputes involving our lovely neighbors and their warships, we thought it prudent to inquire about passage for our corvettes and possibly cruisers in your border systems, predominantly Tau-29.

While this is not traditionally a matter for the Ministry of Engineering, my prior posting was with the Fleet. I'm also more familiar with some of our... other dealings, than our current Consul or the Fleet Taskmaster. I offer these as evidence of our prior peaceful dealings with Malta.

Attachment Found: comm-161518
Attachment Found: comm-163747

Passage through Tau-29 is a strategic necessity, in order to act against the Hellfire Legion in support of the Lane Hackers. Movement through Bretonia is likely to draw Gallic attention, in addition to the Bretonians generally frowning on it, and passage through Kusari is an even greater problem.

Tau-23, being the safest access to 29,, and Tau-37 are also of interest.

I thank you for your time and your consideration.

[ Transmission Ended ]

[Image: ieqSV3F.png]

COMM-ID: Eliza Valdez
Subject: RE: Border Systems and Passage
Priority: High

Buenos dias, Minister Combs,

It is appreciated that you have decided to go through the proper channels to request passage through the Nación's domain. Before I agree to grant you any capital ship access through our space I would like to have a few questions asked and hope you would not mind answering them. The not too old treaties with the Order and the Crayterians have proven that one must be careful with how they protect their sovereign space and national interests. And with the Gallic war in the Taus diplomacy between the different nations, factions, groups has become quite tangled. I hope you don't take this personally.

Firstly I would like to inquire about the Natio Octavarium's relations with the Crayterian Republic and more importantly the Independent Miners Guild. While the Crayterians have shown willingness to negotiate, the Miners Guild has not attempted any diplomatic relations with the Nación of Malta and as such its installations and presence within our space are considered illegal. Obviously if the Natio Octavarium is to be allowed to operate warships in our border worlds, we would expect that your ships would be of no help to the miners or other enemies of Malta. I assume that would be of no issue?

I would also like to point out that the Barrier Rim field in the Coronado system is also considered part of the sovereignty of Malta and due to its distance from the rest of our core worlds its security is a tricky subject. It is obvious the Crayterians are not willing to uphold the treaty of Coronado fully and it is a matter of time before the fragile agreement is fully broken should they sense a good opportunity to do so to attempt to reclaim the system. Our insurance they can not do so yet is our projection of power in the system being stronger than the defenses of their home world - Yuma. What I'm trying to say here is that we would rather not see your warships in their world's orbit.

Once I know where each of us stands on these subjects I will see what can be worked out regarding your request.

En servicio de Malta,
Legionario Eliza Valdez.

Attachments: None

I'll start with the easy one - we don't have relations with the IMG. We've barely had any contact at all, and it's only been individual pilots. They were at best a security risk from the start, and then they decided to fight Bretonia while New London was under attack. We haven't started shooting them, but there are a lot of people that want to.

As for Crayter... that's complicated. Alliance borne of necessity, is a good summary. We were forced to evacuate our previous colony in Kansas by a Royalist blockade, and Crayter were the only ones at the time in a position to help that were, simultaneously, not powerful enough to just completely take over like Liberty or Bretonia might. But our chief concern has always been Gallia. If they throw away a legitimate treaty, especially during an unrelated and far more important war, obviously we would have to renegotiate our status with them.

There are too many Octavarians with ties to Malta for us to not try to maintain the peace, and the Lane Hackers would be very displeased if we joined Crayter in a hypothetical future war against you. The Hackers are allies I'm not inclined to throw away without very good reason, and I don't think Crayter's going to provide one.

[ Transmission Ended ]

Minister Combs,

Your answers are pleasing enough to hear. I see no issue in granting your capital ships access to Tau-29 as well as the 44-29 corridor in Tau-23.

Access to Tau-37 for your warships will remain barred for now due to internal security matters related to Omicron Tau. I hope this limitation would be of no problem for your nation.

En servicio de Malta,
Legionario Eliza Valdez.

Hm. Your terms are reasonable. We may need to take evasive maneuvers around Cheronsee, but I don't forsee any issues. Especially since Gallic civilians don't seem to know how to actually use their weapons most of the time.

I do have one other question. It was only recently made clear to me the extent of your claim over the Barrier Rim in Coronado. Is travel through the Baffin hole permitted? Our flight path would be either a straight run to Sabah or a direct long-burn to Cortez. I apologize for throwing this in at the end, but... well, to be completely honest I'm still getting used to the idea of Crayter ceding territory willingly.

I've also been informed that the Octavarium Mercantile Guild is interested in business, if there's anything Malta needs and cannot readily get. We do have legal access to Liberty and, to my continued surprise, Kusari. We're interested in our relationship with Malta growing beyond just simple non-aggression, and not generally inclined to ask for something-for-nothing.

[ Transmission Ended ]

Minister Combs,

Traffic through the Baffin jump hole is still permitted, our claims on the Barrier Rim are simply to ensure that the Cardamine flows through Coronado and towards Liberty unhindered.

While I would prefer that your warships did not linger in Yuma's orbit at all, I understand certain compromises must be made. It would be appreciated if you make your stay there as minimal as possible though. It would also be appreciated if you refrain from using Yuma's orbit as a spot to gather your taskforces. As I've said before - our situation with the Crayterians is rather fragile at the moment.

And about your question regarding trade with the Nación - our war industry is always interested in Premium Scrap or Military Salvage from Liberty. The men handling commerce on Valetta Shipyard would reward you handsomely for it.

En servicio de Malta,
Legionario Eliza Valdez.

[Image: M5peQHP.png]
Incoming Message

[Image: 3Mjboss.gif]

Sender:
Recipient:
Subject:
Don Hernan Escudero
Natio Octavarium Minister Kelly Combs
Request of Passage and Trade

Minister Kelly Combs
Soy Hernan Escudero, I stand for the Cadiz Cartel. I beg your pardon for replying with the delay. Esteemed Senorita Valdez has already promptly replied as to the passage. Tau 37 remains blockaded for now with the view to provide additional security to our ongoing projects. However, you can send request to the Legion with the list of signatures of selected ships to have access to our space.

As for the trade, it appears our organisation is the biggest stakeholder on Malta at the moment and we are always open to business. Natio Otavarium's location in Western Taus, which are known to harbour substantial forces of the IMG and Crayter, is mostly considered as not worthy of the risks for Maltese trade. You, however, have unhindered access to the territories, and we might be interested in what you can export in addition to the deliveries of military salvage and premium scrap that Senorita Valdez has already mentioned. On our side, we are ready to supply the best Cardamine on Malta, as well as various goods from deeper Omicrons should you find it interesting.

Looking forward to your reply,

Respetuosamente,
Don Hernan Luis Escudero Grijalva

End of Message

[Image: ZTqmcmr.png]
Incoming Transmission from Zhukovsky Station
New Moscow, Coalition People's Republic
08. June 826 A.S.
To: Don Hernan Escudero
Priority: Normal
Topic: Fw: Request of Passage and Trade

Message Contents:

<<<THIS TRANSMISSION IS MONITORED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE BY THE MINISTRY OF TRUTH.>>>
<<<STAY LOYAL, COMRADE!>>>

Hello there,

Please forgive my late reply. Mail tends to be slow to arrive in this end of space, and I only just got the forward from Minister Combs. So, you want to talk trade. Well, in that case, I'm your man. My name is Joey Bloggs, recently elected Guildmaster of the Octavarium Mercantile Guild. Seems my predecessor went and got himself elected to public office, the poor bastard.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the western Taus are sadly deficient in marketable merchandise. Unless you're willing to deal with the IMG, and since they started deepthroating King Charles, I'd really rather not. That doesn't mean we can't be of service, however. The OMG has one thing you and many of your allies lack. Respectability in the eyes of the major House governments. We're a light enough shade of grey to be allowed to trade in Liberty, Bretonia, Kusari, and points beyond largely unmolested.

What's that mean to you? It means that we can haul in any manner of otherwise hard to obtain merchandise. Put in a profitable order, and the Guild's captains will be more than happy to fill it for you. If you have merchandise that's in demand in the houses, and have no way to get it to market, we're more than willing to serve as middlemen. We did it for the Amalfi Directorate before the Cryo Orgs trade dried up, and we'd be happy to make similar arrangements with you.

One caveat, however. We would prefer to avoid carrying cardamine anywhere it might cause us some trouble. Some of our captains already carry it to Cape Wrath, so we're not opposed to hauling it. We'd just prefer not to risk our good names if we can help it. If our reputation gets tarnished too much through illegal activity, then the previously mentioned benefits we provide would disappear entirely.

Captain Joseph Bloggs, NO-Sea.of.Dreams
Guildmaster, Octavarium Mercantile Guild

Transmission End