Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Proposal: Phrase rule 4.1. better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, you are considered as ''PVP Dead''. A PVP Dead player must:
Leave the system the fight took place in for one hour. You must not carry cargo while doing so and must not engage in any player interaction while you are leaving. Other players must allow a PVP Dead player to leave the system.
Not re-enter the system they died in on any of their characters for one hour.
Not attack the player/players they died to on any of their characters for one hour.

The rule above seems create the most confusion and players often get santioned because of it.

I have the strong feeling this is partly caused by the phrasing of the last line. It is impossible to
get the last line translated in something that makes any sense by Google translate or Bing translator.
And at least Google translate has become quite adept in translating texts that are totally correct
and clear in the language they are created in.

For me and the translator software it's not without doubt clear if the "their" in "on any of their characters"
relates to my characters (I suspect that is meant, since the same phrase is used in the line above and there
it clearly relates to my characters).

What is even worse, the rule seems to relate to something I can't even know. I only know which
character(s) killed me, but I can't really know for sure which other characters a player has, so why
says the rule, I am not allowed to attack the player(s) for one hour and not the character(s).

I might in some cases be able to assume which other characters a player has but as normal player
I never can be totally sure about it. In consequence that means I shouldn't attack anybody for an
hour or not ?.
It seems a very clear rule to me.
(07-21-2019, 09:04 PM)Gray_Mouser Wrote: [ -> ]What is even worse, the rule seems to relate to something I can't even know. I only know which
character(s) killed me, but I can't really know for sure which other characters a player has, so why
says the rule, I am not allowed to attack the player(s) for one hour and not the character(s).

I might in some cases be able to assume which other characters a player has but as normal player
I never can be totally sure about it. In consequence that means I shouldn't attack anybody for an
hour or not ?.

This part does not expect you to 'know' the other Ships that the Player, who killed you, has (though some people know who are behind certain Ships).
It is mainly to do with with the obvious, as some people have multiple of the same name ie:

James.Smith
James,Smith
James:Smith
James..Smith
etc.

These are almost certainly the same Player having multiple Ships of the same Character.
You are not wrong at all.
The problem, in my opinion, are the pronouns. The rule starts with "You", then switches to the 3rd singular person in "A PVP Dead player must..", goes back to "You" a sentence after, and in the end jumps to the 3rd plural.
It could be written in this way:

«4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, you are considered a ''PVP Dead player''.
As PVP Dead, you must:
- leave the system the fight took place in, for one hour;
- not carry cargo while doing so;
- not engage, in any player interaction, while you are leaving;
- not re-enter the system you died in, with any of your characters for one hour;
- not attack the player/players that killed you, on any of your characters for one hour.
Other players must allow a PVP Dead player (merely you) to leave the system.»

Indeed, I don't know if the original rule wants you to know the other player(s) characters.
Probably you have assimilated the rule, call that as experience, and read it through said formed knowledge.
I also fix it in my mind, since the other long old threads about it , not less the space practice.