Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Court Martial of Chijin:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To All now Present:

Here is the Evidence:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...id=514820&#

Here is your chance to determine the fate and the future of Chijin.

You are the Court.

I submit to your Judgement, and will do what is necessary to carry it out.

Let the deliberation begin.

Edit: No comments are required. You may cast your ballot in secret.
This Officer should be given a medal. In fact, I herby award the "Farmer's Alliance medal for exemplery service to the Emperor and the Cause" to KNF Vice Admiral Chujo Chijin. Should Shogun Sulu or Emperor Kogen decide to ask you to stand down, you will always have a home with the Farmers. You have server the Emperor and Kusari with noblity above and beyond any officer I have ever had the fortune to deal with.

Ambassador Ze'ev Barak.

From reading your recount of your actions and your report it appears that you made quite a rash decision in order to save the lives of innocents onboard a pirate vessel. Although you did not first inform the KSP I believe you did do the right thing in terms of saving some of the many innocent lives. There was no indication as to how long the KSP would be in order to get there.

You chose an action and it resulted in the saving of some innocent lives, but also costed perhaps unnessisary loss of many more. Although it was not one of the best or logical courses of actions, you made a decision in the heat of the moment, that others would have struggled to make. I do believe that we are all entitled to a moment of missjudgment. I mean we are only human and what you did was based on a empathy-driven action; To save lives.

So I don't believe you should be prosecuted.

Chusa Yoshi Sabayai
Leader of the Kusari Naval Forces Exploration Wing
Konnichiwa Noble Samurai of Kusari.

I am Hakatoa Yamota, a member of the Black Dragon Society. In fact, I was the Black Dragon in question in the situation. Systems communication was chaotic. The two independant Hogosha were... quite disturbant. But their actions are not in question at the moment. A trader, who was broadcasting a junker IFF passed through the system without a registered ship. Transmitting no ID, he was halted and was questioned. However communications were troublesome. It seems the gaijin was having communication problems. Foreigners.. Always using strange tongues..

It was when the ship in question, another Junker vessel, in a Pirate transport arrived. Clearly flaunting his disregard for laws, he tried to explain to the police why his "friend" did not have his ship registered. This junker scum, Colecteur, was in no position to negotiate. As the noble officer pointed out, his ship was crammed full of slaves! With no food or water, they were clearly being abused.

These junkers are more than simple metal collectors. They have been known to harbor pirates from all stretches of Sirius. We do not need them in our sector, and we don't need them supplying slaves to pirate planets.

Although the situation was chaotic, the slavetrader seemed to ignore demands by the honorable Chujo Chijin. Instead, this gaijin, as the officer pointed out resisted the demands, and attempted to flee. No doubt, the junker would have been able to slip through the heavy traffic in New Tokyo today.

Let me express my gratitude of the officers actions. Although he may have stepped above the laws which bind him as an officer, one must sometimes step outside their bounds to perform a deed in the best interest for Kusari. A sacrifice was made by both the officer, and the slaves, to liberate as many captives as possible. They would not have survived the trip in their conditions, and if they did I'm sure their lives would have been meaningless labour, or purposes far worse than death. If the culprit was not stopped, what other barberous acts would he of committed? If he was bold enough to transport slaves in Kusari, the possibilites are endless. These junkers are a bad influence in Kusari and should be expunged. With the help of my vessel, and the other civilians performing their duty, many survivors were saved before they plummeted into the New Tokyo atmosphere. Those that I rescued were eternally grateful. When they asked for their savoir I did not claim responsibility, but instead told them of the noble actions of Samurai Chujo Chijin.

If the court cannot find reason within your actions, know that your actions are appreciated not only by myself, but the hundreds of captives you liberated today. This noble samurai at least deserves exoneration.

//(Exonerated)
Konnichiwa fellow Samurai,

I serve as KNF Kei Hayashi and my accounts from the patrol in question are as follows, we had stopped CollecteurDesAmes and demanded him to return to New Tokyo and liberate his captives. All the while Collecteur was flooding several officers, including myself with individual comm traffic with false promises of a 2 million credit tax payment. We were all taken back by this claim and proceeded to verify with each other. (A second Verification was performed after the fact) Collecteur took this confusion to make his escape attempt. In addition, all other local KSP Samurai were highly over tasked with the tracking and scanning of the plethora of other Gaijin traders over New Tokyo, making a timely request would have been impossible. KNF Vice Admiral Chujo Chijin was the senior officer on duty representing KNF, and command authority had to come from somewhere. Unfortunately, the day will come when we all must weigh the sacrifice of the few to save the many. In this case Vice Adm. Chujo Chijin was put in this position against his will and chose to save innocent lives by making the call.

' Wrote:It was when the ship in question, another Junker vessel, in a Pirate transport arrived. Clearly flaunting his disregard for laws, he tried to explain to the police why his "friend" did not have his ship registered. This junker scum, Colecteur, was in no position to negotiate. As the noble officer pointed out, his ship was crammed full of slaves! With no food or water, they were clearly being abused.
I will also confirm this statement

I move to exonerate and let this serve to remind all Gaijin convoys to kindly obey the Kusari Legal Codex or more needless bloodshed like this will be unavoidable.
Incomming Transmission:
Source: 'A concerned citizen'
Dest: KNF complaints office
Subject: The Chijin incedent

Dear Listeners, while I may not be an insider on the kNF or KSP, I am one knowlagable in the state of Kusari and it's military forces...

What I have seen here is evidence of an at least good intentioned individual with bad judgement, and the stressing of ideals over common sense. The latter is where I voice my concern.

While I may not possess a record of what is said, let me ask is it wrong to consider the possibility that the vessel in question was a legitimate personell transport? Did he explicitly mention himself as a slave driver? While there is no doubt that the captian of the offending vessel was wreckless in the extreme, how diffrent would the situation be if he infact WAS a legitimate passenger ship, and it was simply a matter of a blind or intoxicated pilot?

Now, assuming I have my information correct, you were dealing with a vessel with no less then Four thousand, two hundred individuals be they slaves or otherwise, were aboard that vessel. Three thousand of them are dead. Ask yourselves, while you exhonerate your fellow samurai how the families and loved ones of the ship are going to react?

Would it not have been better to allow the vessel to land on New Tokyo, where it could be tracked by groundside sensors and planetary forces. The vessel would eventually HAVE to land somewhere, or break orbit, making it vulnerable to seizure. Even in a worst case scenario, it is unlikely that if it went into a hostage situation, that three thousand people would end up dead. Did those thoughts not run through mister Chijin's head as he ordered his batteries to fire.

To put it simply, what was the premise of his descision? Imperial Honor and the word of a Single, possibly intoxicated captian, or the disposition of the Four Thousand plus people aboard the transport, possibly foriegn citizens? And assuming they ARE foriegn citizens, you now have a high-profile diplomatic incedent to answer too.

What I and presumably the rest of those watching this case are as follows.

1: Evidence of Communications between the -Slave- ship and local authorities
2: Internal recordings from Chijin's destroyer (noting crew communication and actions)
3: Battle Telemetry and combat camera footage
4: Sensor Records from 3rd parties

Without this, we have only one's word as to weather Chijin was correct on his assumption that the vessel was a slave trader. Junker tagged or otherwise, you now have Three Thousand dead on your hands.

Now, if this descision was based more on 'Imperial Honor' rather then common sense, And if the high command of the KNF ultimately puts that at a higher value then human life that being the case... exactly what Kind of Empire are you protecting?

Sincerely, a Concerned Citizen...

Konnichiwa, I'm Sen'shi Kyokutei, member of the Black Dragon Society. I may have not been present at the scene, but I still wish to have my input on this matter and to answer certain statements made by the "Concerned citizen".

' Wrote:While I may not possess a record of what is said, let me ask is it wrong to consider the possibility that the vessel in question was a legitimate personell transport? Did he explicitly mention himself as a slave driver? While there is no doubt that the captian of the offending vessel was wreckless in the extreme, how diffrent would the situation be if he infact WAS a legitimate passenger ship, and it was simply a matter of a blind or intoxicated pilot?

The transport in question were confirmed to carry slaves by three different parties at the scene: KSP, KNF and Hogosha pilots, I believe that their collective thoughts on the situation concluded that the trader was indeed comitting illegal acts and as such they all co-operated into seizing the transport. Due to this, it is very little chance that the accused Transport vessel was legitimate in any shape or form. All of the pilots that were at the scene claimed the same thing: The Transport was carrying slaves and not regular/important civilians. I would also like to quote a part from Chujo Chijin's action report regarding the incident:

' Wrote:Sensors informed the Bridge immediately of the presence of one hostile vessel, a pirate transport registered as the "ColecteurdesAmes". Further sensor readings were heartbreaking. This "Colecteur" was laden with human cargo, without even the benefit of accompanying food rations or water.

He clearly states that the Transport ship in question was not carrying necessary supplies that were vital to the slaves welfare and health. This also indicates signs of an illegal slave trader.

------

' Wrote:Now, assuming I have my information correct, you were dealing with a vessel with no less then Four thousand, two hundred individuals be they slaves or otherwise, were aboard that vessel. Three thousand of them are dead. Ask yourselves, while you exhonerate your fellow samurai how the families and loved ones of the ship are going to react?

Would it not have been better to allow the vessel to land on New Tokyo, where it could be tracked by groundside sensors and planetary forces. The vessel would eventually HAVE to land somewhere, or break orbit, making it vulnerable to seizure. Even in a worst case scenario, it is unlikely that if it went into a hostage situation, that three thousand people would end up dead. Did those thoughts not run through mister Chijin's head as he ordered his batteries to fire.

Though the lives of over three thousand were lost, if Chujo Chijin had allowed the said Transport to land in New Tokyo, there would be a risk for the pilot to crash in the heat of escape. Since you also mentioned that the possibility of an intoxicated pilot this would further extend this risk, this would mean a collision that would cause all lives in the transport to be lost. Also there could be a possiblity for this Pilot to have criminal contacts in New Tokyo that would assist his escape and even worse move the slaves to another more "hidden" location.

Chujo Chijin could either take all these risks into account if he allowed the transport to dock, or he could perform everything in his power to try save as many lives as possible. I'm sure many thoughts ran through Chujo Chijin's head but as he described the situation in detail he also mentioned that this whole event occured on a rather hectic situation, with many missunderstandings and communications error through the lawful forces.

-----

' Wrote:To put it simply, what was the premise of his descision? Imperial Honor and the word of a Single, possibly intoxicated captian, or the disposition of the Four Thousand plus people aboard the transport, possibly foriegn citizens? And assuming they ARE foriegn citizens, you now have a high-profile diplomatic incedent to answer too.

His premise was clear, to save as many lives as possible under a pressured situation that could turn into a nightmare. Since these lives in question were initally slaves aboard an unknown vessel, it would be very hard to verify if they were foreign and even then, wouldn't be the lawful forces of their respective nations to investigate their dissapperance?

----
' Wrote:What I and presumably the rest of those watching this case are as follows.

1: Evidence of Communications between the -Slave- ship and local authorities
2: Internal recordings from Chijin's destroyer (noting crew communication and actions)
3: Battle Telemetry and combat camera footage
4: Sensor Records from 3rd parties

Without this, we have only one's word as to weather Chijin was correct on his assumption that the vessel was a slave trader. Junker tagged or otherwise, you now have Three Thousand dead on your hands.

All evidence were verified by three different sources belonging to three different parties, and since they evaluated the exact same thing of the situation it is highly unlikely that they are all lying or are you assuming that the honorble law enforcement that protect the welfare and prosperity of Kusari are?

It also seems that you put the same weight from the words of a Kusari Admiral and with an illegal slave trader. Not to mention the KSP and the Hogosha pilots.
----

' Wrote:Now, if this descision was based more on 'Imperial Honor' rather then common sense, And if the high command of the KNF ultimately puts that at a higher value then human life that being the case... exactly what Kind of Empire are you protecting?

I'm beginning to suspect that you are more than just a "concerned civilian". Not only do you question the kusari legal codex but also the rightful place of our beloved Empire. Chujo Chijin evaluated the situation, thought of possible outcomes and proceeded to take action, he managed to do all this under a chaotic enviroment. He is also ready to take any blame that would possibly spawn from this event. This in my eyes is not only honorful but an action of common sense.

Providing him with an exoneration is the least thing we can do.

Thank you for listening. Sen'shi Kyokutei, Black Dragon Society.
Comm ID: Malaclypse 666, Bafflin'

Officers of the Court:

My first instinct in this matter was to abstain from voicing an opinion or voting, due to a long-standing and close personal relationship with not only Vice Admiral Chijin, but with other past and present high-ranking Kusaran Officials and Dignitaries.

I have no doubt in the 'verse as to Chijin's veracity in this matter, regardless of whether the old Fool has presented "pictures with circles and arrows, and a note on the back telling what each one was!", to quote the non-prophet Arlo.

To the question by "concerned citizen" as to whether the scumbag should have been allowed to dock, my interpretation of the evidence is that the slaver was not attempting to dock, but was intentionally either trying to scuttle his ship in New Tokyo's atmosphere, or his crew had lost control of the vessel during its evasive maneuvering. In either case, there was the possibility of loss of all the "citizens" aboard. Rather a rough docking, I would venture.

Yes, Chijin broke protocol by not consulting the KSP, who would have been the ranking authorities in this internal civil matter.

Yes, Chijin acted impulsively due to his abhorrence of the practice of slavery, and the allegations that his fellow Kusarians could be "bought".

Does he deserve to have his long and distinguished career end in disgrace or possible death for these errors? No.

If nothing else, this event serves to show all of Sirius that the rumors of Kusari's decline and demise have no basis in fact. With men and women like Chujo Chijin as citizens and Samurai, there is no doubt that Kusari is still an active and vibrant House, and is not to be trifled with.

The TAZ hereby requests that the Court accept Chijin's offer of resignation without penalty or prejudice. (We would like to offer him a position as head of Public Relations or Security at the Temple of Eris Esoteric.)

Regards,
Malaclypse.
Concerned citizen that does not even dare to reveal his name? Pah! More likely a terrorist or gaijin saboteur!

All the more likely to be a gaijin since it seems this citizen did not even understand the document presented, and I quote the relevant part:
Quote:We began to close again on the fleeing transport, when to my horror and amazement I realized that the Colecteur was veering towards New Tokyo, and was about to enter the planet's atmosphere.

I accept full responsibility for ordering all weapons hot while still 600 meters aft of the smuggler, reasoning that the rescue of some survivors was better than watching their total cremation during atmospheric entry.

While I do not speak for the Machi-bugyosho, as a prosecutor and executioner of the State police I can only find that Officer Chijin is guilty of (1) unlawfully usurping the privilege of the State Police, (2) of negligent homicide, and (3) induction of danger to the personnel, pilots and passengers in the vicinity of the incident.

However, by his oaths to the Emperor, any samurai is obliged to assume the authority of his rank and use that authority to defend the life and honor of the Emperor, the Shogun, the Empire and her citizens.
Officer Chijin has done so, and could not have acted differently while staying true to his oaths. By Imperial law, no samurai can be punished for upholding his oaths to the Emperor. There can be no charges.

And Officer Chijin should get back to duty and realize that fulfilling his oaths is the only thing that matters. We are not Liberty, with the press demanding blood is determining verdicts in public courts. We are not Bretonia where the aristocracy bicker and their courtrooms games are determined by family ties. We are not Rheinland where judgments are handed out by the heavy hand of the Kaiser. We are Kusari, and we are bound by our oaths, or honor, and hour duty. Stay true to your oaths, uphold your honor and the honor of the Empire, and do your duty. Anything else is less than nothing.

Tameichi Hara
Yoriki, Kusari State Police
' Wrote:Comm ID: Malaclypse 666, Bafflin'

Officers of the Court:

My first instinct in this matter was to abstain from voicing an opinion or voting, due to a long-standing and close personal relationship with not only Vice Admiral Chijin, but with other past and present high-ranking Kusaran Officials and Dignitaries.

I have no doubt in the 'verse as to Chijin's veracity in this matter, regardless of whether the old Fool has presented "pictures with circles and arrows, and a note on the back telling what each one was!", to quote the non-prophet Arlo.

To the question by "concerned citizen" as to whether the scumbag should have been allowed to dock, my interpretation of the evidence is that the slaver was not attempting to dock, but was intentionally either trying to scuttle his ship in New Tokyo's atmosphere, or his crew had lost control of the vessel during its evasive maneuvering. In either case, there was the possibility of loss of all the "citizens" aboard. Rather a rough docking, I would venture.

Yes, Chijin broke protocol by not consulting the KSP, who would have been the ranking authorities in this internal civil matter.

Yes, Chijin acted impulsively due to his abhorrence of the practice of slavery, and the allegations that his fellow Kusarians could be "bought".

Does he deserve to have his long and distinguished career end in disgrace or possible death for these errors? No.

If nothing else, this event serves to show all of Sirius that the rumors of Kusari's decline and demise have no basis in fact. With men and women like Chujo Chijin as citizens and Samurai, there is no doubt that Kusari is still an active and vibrant House, and is not to be trifled with.

The TAZ hereby requests that the Court accept Chijin's offer of resignation without penalty or prejudice. (We would like to offer him a position as head of Public Relations or Security at the Temple of Eris Esoteric.)

Regards,
Malaclypse.

Dear Mal, you may be able to get anything you want at Chijin's resturant, but I think a Kusari officer should be off the list.

Pages: 1 2