Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discussion: Player influenced changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m starting this thread to get a better understanding of why it’s so desired by players to have sway over mod changes. Notably with regard to faction development and historical events.

From my standpoint (which is one of many), it seems as though a large amount of time and effort is spent in pursuit of certain developments, but comparably little when it comes to enjoying them once they’ve been implemented. It’s made me question what the goal is for players pushing for these changes. Is discovery still a game? Or is it more akin to a painting whereby each individual can stand back and appreciate their work.

Discuss
as someone who left for 2 years for this reason: the extremely slow rythm with which changes and developments are implemented by the dev team is laughable. a group of factions starts doing certain things and it doesn't take months, but years to see that translated into the game. it kills motivation and enjoyment alike when something you wanted to do or see takes long enough for people to pick up warframe and put 5000 hours into it.

obviously you dont get paid for developing things and i don't blame you for it but asking for why people are not happy is borderline idiotic
It's less like a painting and more like a wall with phallic symbols spray painted by many individuals, where each individual tries to paint a bigger one than the ones already there. On a more serious note, I think you're observation is pretty spot on, I believe that most people forget that there isn't really something to win or lose and that official faction influence on outcomes is extremely minimal. I think many people mistake disco for being a game like total war, where one can gain territory and profit from that. This entire mechanism is in the devs hands and I believe that is arranged like that in an attempt to please everyone. The goal of players pushing for certain outcomes is mainly bragging rights even though outcomes are not influenced by these players actions or merits.
We (Aux in particular) do it because if we didn't we wouldn't exist or have anything at all. It's a big part of evolving a faction, to grow and develop into something larger. Being non-vanilla makes it a lot easier to have that freedom of choice and necessary in order to retain interest. I've probably spent a lot of time in-game flying around and shooting at random things just because I enjoy the fact we finally got our own guns and no longer need to rely on other people's tech as heavily as we did before.

Sometimes though people consider finding a direction without immediate gain difficult. Some people think dedicating time is too much effort and not fun, but I beg to differ. It's a journey which you can physically see and utilize results of. Developments take time, though Yber is very correct in that the time it takes for things to be implemented shouldn't be as ridiculous as it was. The current rate so far is a marginal improvement from the old days.
Agreed with all said above by Mad, Vendetta and Yber.
Many RPs done are over the top, some are rather lazy, some aren't even creative and more of a copy-paste. Hell, even some copy-paste-SRPs got approved back in the days. If everything was put into the game the way some factions demand it, it would be a horrible, horrible mess, especially when it is about two opposing/competing factions, be it Core and Order for example.

I'd rather like to see a standardized roleplay canonization request system with fleshed out guidelines. It often seems to me that the faction perk system is, despite it being rather vocal on what people can work towards to, still more arbitrary than anything. If there was a point I'd like to see worked on, that that.

Right now, anyone can RP anything and say it's supposed to be canon because official faction say so. #megalodon

Emphasis on fleshed-out and possibly transparent enough to understand the decisions for yes or no.