Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Civilian GB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In my opinion there is a need for a "civilian" gunboat, a ship that is not instantly associated with a faction.

As an independent freelancer, mercenary, military, Zoner, or Junker you have a somewhat limited selection when it comes to Gunboats. Sure there are gunships or gunboats for most all of the military factions, but there are issues when you buy a military faction Gunboat.

hypothetically:

lets say I am a Mercenary and want to drive the biggest thing my ID will allow, so I choose a GB. . . a Rhineland GB for the HP's and forward gun. . .what guns do I buy? well basically I'm stuck with Rhineland turrets/missiles (plus solaris/cerberus turrets) to "match" that ship, and any "unlawful" faction weapons are instantly OoRP (i.e. dragonfly missiles). That's all well and good, "lawful ship" = "lawful guns" period! I don't want to change that.

But shouldn't I as a "faction less" quasi-legal mercenary be able to mount lawful and unlawful weapons on my ship? The Id states a Mercenary can take lawful and unlawful missions or bounties. . .so why not guns.

Unlike transports who are typically seen as "neutral" (luxury liner, container transport, adv. train, etc.) and only can have "generic" guns. Having a faction ship you must "match" your guns to your ship, but it will always scream. . ."I'm driving a (insert faction here) ship!". I'd like a "civilian" GB that doesn't have a "faction". As a freelancer or mercenary you have "no" faction, therefore you should not be accused of using the "wrong" factions ships or weapons . . .if you have a "civilian" ship.

so here is my proposal for such a craft:

it would be a modified transport.

take the KL-17 "Beetle" Kusari Cruise Liner.(for it's maneuverability)
replace it, or add a "modified" version of it...sort of a "hybrid" GB/transport

re-write or add the info card:
----------------------------------

CTE-17m civilian merchant cruiser

The CTE-17m was originally designed as a Kusari liner, but sales were not as expected due to the popularity of the larger luxury liners. The design was then sold to the Zoners who modified the design and turned it into a gunboat. The weapons, shields, and power plant have all been upgraded as well as the reinforcing of the hull to make it combat worthy. However converting a transport into a gunboat has it's drawbacks. The new equipment upgrades cut it's original cargo space by half, though it still has nearly three times the space of an average gunboat. The power systems upgrade was only able to achieve half of what a average gunboat produces, thereby limiting it's combat potential. However, it's mix of cargo space and weapons makes it is an adequate alternative to a house gunboat.

Stats

Gun/Turret Mounts: 0/7
Armor: 90000
Cargo space: 1250
Max Batteries/NanoBots: 380/380
Power output: 250000
Max. Impulse Speed: 80
Equipment Mounts: CM

make it cost about 28M

Use the exact same ship model (after all, it is a Gem'Hadar warship)

Upgrade it's status to GB: Class 8 weapons/shields

Upgrade it's armor to 90000

Leave it's maneuverability stats the same (though I'm weary of giving a GB a reverse traction of .8)

Change it's power plant to the "miner" power plant for the 250000/25000 Power/Regen (still only has half the Power/Regen of a normal GB)

Reduce it's hold size to 1251 (lost half its cargo space to make room for the bigger guns, reinforced hull, larger shield, power upgrades, and it's newly needed magazine.)

Same 380 bots/bats

Remove it's CD mount (to deter it from getting turned into a pirate ship)

I want there to be an alternative the the base factions GS/GB's that would appeal to some players
I do NOT want the galaxy spammed with enormous amounts these things, again I want an alternative. . .not the always preferred choice!
it's a "gunboat" so Traders and Smugglers won't be able to fly them anyway. As long as it's now known as a "civilian" and not Kusari ship, it could be used most anywhere.

as for it's capabilities.

Can it take a normal gunboat in a 1v1 fight having half the power?. . .probably not
Does it have the cargo space of a transport?. . .not really

You have think of it as a "light" Gunboat with lots of trunk space, or a heavily armed "transport".

In my opinion there's a need for this non house GB, and with little editing this ship could be added.
the ship model will be replaced. And I had people yelling after me to make a civilian gunship for some time too... meh why not.
Stats

Gun/Turret Mounts: 0/7
Armor: 90000
Cargo space: 1250
Max Batteries/NanoBots: 380/380
Power output: 250000
Equipment Mounts: CM

let me quickly modify what you suggested to what an "average" MILITARY gunboat looks like

Stats

Gun/Turret Mounts: 0/6
Armor: 70000
Cargo space: 350
Max Batteries/NanoBots: 300/300
Power output: xxxx
Equipment Mounts: CM, CD

now - lets take a look at the only civilian gunboat ( zoner )

Stats

Gun/Turret Mounts: 0/4
Armor: xxxxx
Cargo space: 350
Max Batteries/NanoBots: xxxxx
Power output: xxxxx
Equipment Mounts: CM, CD, 2xM

a really civilian gunboat would probably have 4 turrets only. - 6 is average military - more is very powerful military. - max is 8

a real "civilian" might also choose the luxory yacht - which is a bit of a hybrid between gunboat and transport. - but a civilian doesn t go to war - he wants to get away - and for that... the yacht will get away from any hostile gunboat.

Why do civilians need stuff with more than like 1 gun on them anyways? And that's probably to blast asteroids out of the way.

Anyways, I don't think we need civilian ships cause there's no civilian faction (try rping THAT! lol), but the zoner gb basically fills that role.
I think it got something to do with the fact there's a lot of pirates roaming around. Guess some corporation - very rich one house corporations, who do not rely on their own lines, can purchase gunships.
Look at all those evil corporations sporting nukes in those secret agent movies;)gunship is nothing compared to their arsenal lol
Quote:the ship model will be replaced. And I had people yelling after me to make a civilian gunship for some time too... meh why not.

Srsleh?

No moar beetul?
MM would seriously appreciate the addition of a solid Civvy Gunship.

It could be weaker/less armor than the ex military ones, but slightly more maneuverable (?)

Has to have a pretty good chance (say 40/60) against a Military GB.
I think Jinx intended to replace it with the embassy ship?
or CC thingy wanted to replace it with his own liner matching up with the royal and standard liner

in any event, my civilian gunship will probably be heavily based on the fighter models instead of creating a new philosophy for civ capital.
what? the beetle? - yes its replaced, but its not a gunboat of course... its a transport ( midsize ) - with a swimming pool....

[Image: kay_akebeetle.png]
' Wrote:Why do civilians need stuff with more than like 1 gun on them anyways? And that's probably to blast asteroids out of the way.
Why is everyone forgetting that freelancers and mercenaries exist?
Pages: 1 2 3 4