Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I am also a bit concerned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I've decided to stop making holes here, by calming myself down to level I am no longer toxic but friendly. Sounds too good to be true, I know. I overreacted over minor things in the past and I'm regretting them now. I got a lot more to say.

You no longer will see me as I used to be. You'll see as the time passes.
Well these days a lot of people are too much in the games forgot about real life, forgot who they are turning into rage animals and talking *****. Well i was back here in 2010 when there was normal players there was no hate on other players there was no talking ***** on other factions, Disco back then was more better than now.

Now a lot of new faction a lot of hate between people some of the players who know they good now they turn they are raging more on others. Disco has changed.!!

remember one thing this is just a game maybe tomorrow you will sit with that player who you rage on and drink coffee..
I'm afraid we are doomed a little, you know?

There are mechanisms in the mod itself, and the way the RP is conducted, that will allways lead to some frustration, and frustration leads to anger. Think about it...

1.I think the problem is that everyone treats their roleplay like a piece of art, or literature. I'm not saying that it isn't. (Because dear good, look what these people do, It's amazing!!!) People spent hours, or even sometimes days to write (to create!!!) a good write up or RP post. See, they put a lot of effort into these these, and usually don't get credited. insdead of praising the high quality RP creations, we have made it a standard! The lowest bar to acheieve to simply be respected. What happends if people don't measure up? They meaure down. Out of frustration they start degrading other people's work, laughing at them, ridiculing them. I think everyone was guilty of it at some point. Take a look at some websites, where people conduct forum-only roleplay. You won't find as many artworks, write ups and whatnots, as here.

2. People create living, breathing characters interacting with each other in a fictional world. They gather up to form factions, and these factions also interact with each other. A faction here, if it does it's RP properly, can gain something special for itself. Other factions can disturb and completely stop others from doing so. As I have said earlier, people give a lot of time and a lot of heart to their play. What do you feel when someone shatters it? You feel frustration. InRP rivalry becomes real one.... and you feel double frustration, becuase you can't just say that you are angry over a video game, right? (Something Hookier covered perfectly)

3. Situations where one player has power over the other. That's the model frustrator there. Police and Navy over it's citizens. Cap players over snub ones. Official faction leaders vs. "indies". Piracy encounters. No one logs in to become someone's subordinate. It looks to me like there are no safeguards against the abuse of that power by players. Only more frustration and anger.

4. Whole cap situation. It's a hell of a grind to get the most powerfull ships in this mod. Not only you have to fly transpoirts safly from point A to B, everyone expect you to RP in them. Ah, and let's don't forget those lovely pirates, stealing your last 20 minutes of grind from you, just for the sake of it. So what happends after months of grind, when you finally can afford your big-bad-ship? Players hiss at you for using them against other players, which was something that happened to you, by the way.... Endless frustration. There are many pointless things you have to do just to achieve something in game, or on forums (just think about officialdom)

Maybe our mod, and our rules have to change drasticly? Would you be ready for that change? The more I think about it, the more I realise that the problem might lie in the fact that our mod and our game, and our forums are not well suited to be used as RP platform...

If you don't believe that there is a deep, rotting problem in this community I have a question for you. Let me just give you a quote from one of the tutorials available here, praised by everyone as good, pinned and whatnot.

Quote:(...) Any new group is crap until proven otherwise. While this does sound rather harsh, one must consider that there had to be plenty of these types of groups for the community to adapt such a ultimate. As a new faction, overcoming that label will be your biggest challenge.

I'm a gamemaster, with years of experience in DnD and other games. Would you like to play a second session with me, if I would welcome you saying things like "Every new character, backstory or party is shi*t, until you proove me wrong." That "I had soo many crappy players, that my position is justified?" And that 'Your biggest challenge in-game will be to proove to me that you are not crap?"
I think everybody here but especially Sombra mentions a lot of very interesting points.
Disco is a microkosmos and a miniature version of the global society we live in.
I could go on and on and put everything Sombra said in my own words but it's being worded perfectly in his post as it is.

As for Yber, even though I initially read your reply as someone going in full attack against the points I've raised, I have to force myself to try and see things through your perspective.
First of all I didn't quote Joe because he is Joe, I simply felt that reading that particular message, old as it is, changed my look on things and made me realise that we as a community can do better than what is considered normal nowadays, and more than that, that I as an individual have a responsibility to do the right thing. Yber mentioned that I've denied his participation in events, making him feel excluded. I think I know what event he is referring to and although I had nothing to do with its organisation or with the decision to keep the event between certain people I did defend that position. Not because I get to choose who is cool and who is not cool but because I still believe it should be possible to have an event now and then between certain people of the same skill level, or who share whatever else in common. I believe a whole lot in this community is being decided and discussed between closed doors. This leaves room for speculation and as often goes, when left to our imagination we often imagine worst case scenarios. I am not afraid to own my past mistakes, I made plenty of them. In fact I feel fine with being branded a hypocrite as long as that means that I am making a change for the better. My message isn't just about myself or about one particular event though, even though I do want to underline that a little change in everyone of us (including myself) in the way we treat each other can only benefit everyone, leave an impact on this community for the better.

What is holding us all back from trying that? Just the notion of we tried that before and it didn't work out? Even if it's bound to fail and relapse at some point, isn't it worth the effort and the good things that might come out of it until someone 10 years from now gravedigs this thread and starts the circle over again?
(08-13-2019, 10:40 AM)~Chio Wrote: [ -> ]I've decided to stop making holes here, by calming myself down to level I am no longer toxic but friendly. Sounds too good to be true, I know. I overreacted over minor things in the past and I'm regretting them now. I got a lot more to say.

he he Wink

good to hear my friend!

and me? nobody mentionned my name, strange?

it probably means that somewhere I'm sticking to the image of the good guy for discovery! That kind of cool little character you can have when you get taken out of your life for 4 or 5 years, your story.

Angel
The biggest problem, with people, is that they are very good at having/making preconceived perceptions of others, whether it is because the others support a different Football Team, fly with a different Faction, play with certain people etc. We are good even listening to other people's opinion without actually making up our own mind. What one may think makes a person, good/bad, doesn't necessarily mean that others will see it as good/bad. Blindly following other's opinions can leads us in to making bad decisions or having a poor perception of someone else.

The perceived slights/problems are generally a lot worse than the actual slight/problem. We are all, to varying degrees, biased about things. Bias is good at making us disregard things that go against our perceptions, but keeping anything that reinforces our perception.

I applaud those that have written here and have said that they will consciously try to change their ways. Most will sit there and say "why should I change when others won't" and will wait for others to make the first move (as some will think that others think them weak).

Saying that other Communities are worse, is just a poor excuse to not wanting to do anything. Shouldn't we strive to be the best Community, one that others want to come to?
(08-13-2019, 10:40 AM)~Chio Wrote: [ -> ]I've decided to stop making holes here, by calming myself down to level I am no longer toxic but friendly. Sounds too good to be true, I know. I overreacted over minor things in the past and I'm regretting them now. I got a lot more to say.

I couldn't stand you prior to this, bet seeing you take a step forward has given me hope that you will change, I've been quite nasty toward you before this and for that I apologize, doesn't change it but you didn't deserve the way I treated you. Maybe one day we'll both be friends, who knows, maybe not. But I wish you luck in changing for the better, regardless.
Contrary to joe’s post, i think people are very much aware of the people behind each character. How else do you make things personal?

People here are out to hurt each other in the most horrible ways. But instead of a dust up it’s all mind games; getting under each other’s skin and ridiculing each other.

To reference the Bible, The Dalai Lama, the Lord of the Rings, Power Rangers, Batman, Star Wars and Pokemon:

Don’t be a dick
The intent is good but these kinds of threads always feel like the "thoughts and prayers" of Disco. As if anything would change.
(08-13-2019, 01:21 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]The intent is good but these kinds of threads always feel like the "thoughts and prayers" of Disco. As if anything would change.

Rome wasn't made in a day.

Little steps that gain momentum can make a difference.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8