Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I am also a bit concerned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(08-13-2019, 10:30 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]One of the biggest issues I've come to see is that people are nice to me until they have what they wanted, or they are nice to me for the sole reason of receiving what they want.

Unfortunately there are to much people like that.
(08-13-2019, 07:06 PM)Pillow Wrote: [ -> ]More like being realistic. This is a place of scum and villainy filled with circlejerks around every corner. No matter how nice you are to everyone you are still going to get decked by some dude and his friends because you did a minor thing that he didn't agree with. That's how Discovery has been for as long as anyone can remember and will continue to be like this until its last day. My approach to this place is to have a good time, hence my post.

So, if I understand you correctly your definition of a good time is basically ridiculing other people's good intentions. You are basically embracing being part of the problem though you are aware that it's wrong and not only disrespectful towards your fellow players but also harmful to this community as a whole. I respect you echoing Yber stating that people should grow a thick skin. I partly agree with you. I believe people should indeed grow a thicker skin when it comes to inrp interactions, factions losing stuff or gaining stuff, lack of balance in certain ship models, fights, equipment, being outskilled and even ganking. All these things are inevitable and although we have a sort of unwritten code of conduct about it, it widely differs depending on who you ask. Most of these things we normal players have no grip on, we cannot change it no matter how much we complain about it.

What we can do though as normal players is play within the spirit of the rules, be excellent to one another and refrain from the behaviour that for ease of conversation I'll sum up as "toxic". When you're in game Discovery comes quite close to being one's personal playground, as long as you stay within the rules and within the confines of RP you can pretty much do what you want to do. What I believe you do not understand is that you can't treat people as your personal playthings. Behind the avatars and forum posts are actual people.

If you would treat people in real life in such a toxic manner then indeed sooner or later you are going to get decked by some dude and his friends, and though I do not advocate violence at all, that is just being realistic. I believe the only reason why some people on this forum behave like that is the lack of sooner or later walking into the wrong one. And that's problematic. Imagine a world without consequences for your actions, it would turn into a place of scum and villainy pretty quickly until eventually people would band together and police themselves. That is why we have social norms and even if for whatever reason these do not come to you naturally you will be treated better if you abide by them. Not only that, people will respect you more, value your company and in return you will be happier.

On that note you help yourself by helping someone else, and you are friendly to yourself if you are friendly to someone else.
Ofcourse you will always have the risk of encountering a person who is taking the piss but you will have friends around you that will say "don't worry about it, he's just being a dick, let's play some disco"
It's never too late to change Pillow, and I'd be delighted to be one of those friends.
(08-13-2019, 08:05 PM)Madvillain Wrote: [ -> ]a
I'm ridiculing other peoples failures of attempts that have been tried a billion times before in the past. Good intentions are all well and good but at the end of the day nobody gives a damn. People will continue to be awful to eachother regardless of what you do.

What I meant was that I approach Discovery with the mentality of having a good time. Instead of making pointless threads like these, do the same. Play the game and have a good time. If you aren't having a good time, stop playing the game.

The problem with Discovery is that most people tend to have a good time only when they kill other peoples' good time instead. Which sucks. But it is how it is and people should just try to make the best with what they have.
(08-13-2019, 03:51 PM)Freeport7 Wrote: [ -> ]a Dick. Let it fly away! Heart

I believe this hermano knows a lot about what's really important in life.

And hurry up dudes (and Sombras), dicks have to dock down one day. Actually threads like this one just speed it up.
I'm worried about Discord.
RL imposes consequences if you act like a dick.
But Discord chat does not.
You can cuss out other person and none will ever care (hello moderators).
Which makes the place feel like cesspit.

Start inflict consequences of blatant insulting or filthy language and I'm sure situation becomes better.
I mean, this won't solve the problem people are not excellent to each other, but these these things at least would become limited to some degree.
Still cesspit with toxic vipers, but would smell nice at least.
(08-13-2019, 08:17 PM)Pillow Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2019, 08:05 PM)Madvillain Wrote: [ -> ]a
b

I really see your point and I agree that playing the game should be done for fun, and if you don't have fun then you should do something else that is fun.
Now, I believe we can both agree that lots of people quit the game not because of the game, but because of the community being hostile.
You mention yourself that it sucks and I think you can also imagine that the bad things surrounding the game for a lot of people ended up outweighing the fun of playing the game itself.
Not to forget about new people who come here and get treated to a great game with at times a very questionable community.
We can't change someone else but we can change ourselves. If enough of us do that then perhaps more will follow.
And even if it fails again, what do you have to lose in being kind to another person?
(08-13-2019, 08:27 PM)Invoker Wrote: [ -> ]I'm worried about Discord.
RL imposes consequences if you act like a dick.
But Discord chat does not.
You can cuss out other person and none will ever care (hello moderators).
Which makes the place feel like cesspit.

Start inflict consequences of blatant insulting or filthy language and I'm sure situation becomes better.
I mean, this won't solve the problem people are not excellent to each other, but these these things at least would become limited to some degree.
Still cesspit with toxic vipers, but would smell nice at least.

Said discords are not necessary. I've always advocated to avoid Skype/Discord and can still enjoy Discovery. People need to moderate themselves when it comes to how many Discords they join.
(08-13-2019, 08:27 PM)Invoker Wrote: [ -> ]Start inflict consequences of blatant insulting or filthy language and I'm sure situation becomes better.

But who is going to do it?

I am sure the person(s) who do it, will not be wanting to explain every decision to all and sundry, and then sit through lots of people calling him/her/them all the names under the sun because their 'friend' has been banned.
(08-13-2019, 08:35 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2019, 08:27 PM)Invoker Wrote: [ -> ]Start inflict consequences of blatant insulting or filthy language and I'm sure situation becomes better.

But who is going to do it?

I am sure the person(s) who do it, will not be wanting to explain every decision to all and sundry, and then sit through lots of people calling him/her/them all the names under the sun because their 'friend' has been banned.

1.2 Flaming, insulting, trolling and harassing other players

Easy rule to quote from Disco community ruleset in very obvious cases.
(08-13-2019, 08:49 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]1.2 Flaming, insulting, trolling and harassing other players

Easy rule to quote from Disco community ruleset in very obvious cases.

Doesn't count on Discord. Fingers were burnt last time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8