Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Chanteloup Tapes - #1 "This is not the end"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This document is part of a series of audio recordings that are the last known words of Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup, amiral de Gaule and chief of staff of the Marine Royale Gauloise. They were sent directly to amiral Nicodème Guillory, her right hand man and second in command of the MRG. Whether these tapes are published or not will be up to him.

"Nicodème,

This is it. I've now done all I could do, given all the orders I could give, to ensure that the Téméraire gets to safety. And failing that... Contingency plans. All I have left to do now is wait.

A pause. There is a striking absence of background noise beyond a dull, droning sound that could either be air conditioning or electronic equipment buzzing.

I'm currently alone, on the bridge. I've sent my unwounded staff down to rest while I keep watch. Bit of a hyperbole, really ; our sensors are all dead and we've lost communications. All we have left are our personal devices, and the hope that whatever signal we send is picked up by a relay... And not intercepted by our foe. To that effect, I've imposed radio silence, for now. Except for me of course, because... Well, beyond being free to do whatever I please by default, there is an element of saving the world as we know it at play, here. So, yes. We're effectively blind, and lost, adrift in a sea of brown Bretonian smog. If it ends here, I suppose I'll have reapt what I've sown...

Ah, no self-pitying. There should be time for that later. She exhales.

I've heard your transmission before it all went dark in here. Excellent. Nothing better to dispel fear and chaos than clear orders. They're what seperates an angry mob from a cohesive troop. You've done well, in your traditional to the point, concise fashion. I know our people will follow you, just as I know you'll guide them to safety. I've considered the situation and reviewed the information we gathered following the battle. Here are a few pointers for the days to come ; use them as you see fit. I told you I wouldn't leave you alone to deal with all this ; this is the best I can give you, for now.

Aquitaine is the best choice we had. Issoudun, several ways out and retreat solutions, quiet part of space and only the Gaian bards to contend with. So yes, quiet part of space. It should be the ideal system to regroup and plan for our next move. Once you have a fairly definitive count of our numbers, I recommend you organise patrols and lines of defense according to this plan.

- You, at the centre of operations. Your task is to organise and coordinate to the best of your abilities.
- Clément and Fontaine are both inspiring figures and great leaders of men. You should use them to keep the morale up and rally people within our space. They are both strong symbols of the Monarchy, although their adherence to it may have varied. I can't say for certain. They have my trust, they should have yours.
- Thouars... Is dead. Suicide, apparently. I wouldn't say I'm surprised, but... I'd appreciate if you could look into that. His second, Louis-Philippe Marat, has taken over. We've had one talk before the Téméraire went dark and I could hardly ascertain the character. Keep an eye out if you can.
- I briefly heard of Favager before the battle, but not after. I'm not sure what happened to him. Try to find him if you can ; he's a powerful, trustworthy figure. He'll do what you ask, and will keep the morale up as well. Put him on running patrols in Aquitaine if you get him.
- Vaillant is dangerous. He's always reeked of disloyalty and ambition, and I have no doubt he's going to see my disappearance as an opening to try and secure the power I've always denied him. He's convinced people will follow him. I don't think so, but such delusions are what make him dangerous. You are to give him no leeway whatsoever in how things are handled. Put him in the first line of defense and in raiding parties. He craves action, so give him that. With some luck, he'll get himself killed before committing anything too embarrassing.
- L'Herminier is unheard of. I'm guessing he didn't make it.
- Bertinont is a die-hard monarchist, that much is documented. But he is loyal to the marine, and in that, I don't doubt he'll follow you during the evacuation.

You know what to do with the lower ranks. You've always known, which is why you're in this situation now. Ultimately, my advice is to hunker down and establish a security perimeter around Aquitaine as soon as you're able. You are to build a haven for all Gallic personnel, trapped here by a negligent King with too little vision and bloodthirst. Politics will need to come later. You are to use every means at your disposal to ensure that no further division comes through our ranks. There will be a time when people will choose, but that time is certainly not now.

That's it for your instructions. This might be the end of our campaign, and mine as well... But this is not the end for Gallia, or the Marine, or for you. You've got much to do. I'll be in touch.

Good luck."

The recording ends with a slight beep.