Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Proposal: PvP warning: /attack (or /atk) cmd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DiscoGC,

What do you think about having an /attack or /atk command to serve as a PvP warning?

There are various ways this can be implemented.

I think the simplest may be to not tie it to any ingame mechanic at all, and having it only serve recordkeeping purposes.

There is no real life warning when someone is attacked; a fair ingame translation would be a "silent enemy" (such as the Nomads). A neuralnet warning (message that the victim would receive, after someone executes /atk on them) may suffice. In other words, not every character should be expected to "talk" to their intended victims, and this proposal addresses that, plus it prevents whorage of "/setmsgs".

The biggest concern for me is: time. If you agree with this idea and decide to post in this thread, can you help brainstorm about how much time should go between the /atk command (proposed PvP warning) and the time that players should be allowed by the rules to engage other players?
Let's discuss! Smile

Regards,
Sky
Uhh, no. A generic command for everyone to use that says the exact same thing just ain't right. This is a ROLEPLAY server. Roleplay is mandatory (literally rule 3.0). If you can't roleplay enough to say that you're going to attack someone, then this really isn't the place for you.
If this were to be used and that is a big IF, I suggest a 10 second grace period before hostilities commence.

Allowing both parties to either gain distance from one another and then engage or a giving a Trader a chance to go; "Oh s**t!"

I presume your intent would be to add a command that notifies people combat is about to begin right? - This is by no means an intent to replace the rule of RP before engaging. But more so a method to implement a means that informs people PVP is about to start.
Just give us /1 /2
If you don't want to "talk", then "narrate". Two lines of character actions before the attack are as good as his short remarks of how "hates x, gotta kill them".
I think we have enough commands as it is, its relatively straight forward RP to start an attack. Setmsg is a great way for you to customise the way you attack, (followed by /1 /2) Another command would'nt have this creativity. This links into faction lore very well.
Just drop your god damn two engagement lines and go for the blues if you are so eager about it, no need to come up with weird stuff to cover up your general lazyness.
(08-28-2019, 07:55 AM)Ironblood Wrote: [ -> ]Just drop your god damn two engagement lines and go for the blues if you are so eager about it, no need to come up with weird stuff to cover up your general lazyness.

go to /conn if you want to engage

can't just engage

unless you're a terrorist, but people can engage you without rp too
(08-28-2019, 04:04 AM)Greylock Wrote: [ -> ]Uhh, no. A generic command for everyone to use that says the exact same thing just ain't right. This is a ROLEPLAY server. Roleplay is mandatory (literally rule 3.0). If you can't roleplay enough to say that you're going to attack someone, then this really isn't the place for you.

As if roleplay narrows down to this narrative. Roleplay for combat realistically would entail no notice and just an outright engagement. To say sky’s idea isn’t roleplay in itself is ignorant.
*The Guardian used growl!