Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: @ Experienced Cruiser/BC pilots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been out of the capship game for like 6 months now, and I'm a bit rusty.

I've picked up the order light carrier, as i've been planning to do all that time, and now I cant find a decent loadout, and it's killing my wallet trying to test out a dozen different gun setups.

So... any advice? The carrier has 18 turrets so I figure it probably can handle a well rounded armament. At first I tried to do a little of everything... a few pulse cannons, a few razors, some missile turrets, some normal turrets, and even a few solaris... that didnt work so well.

Basically, it seems to me like razors are useless, they have a ridiculously short range and dont really do all that much damage for the energy requirement. Pulse guns, on the other hand, are frakking awesome when it comes to range and shield damage per shot. Solaris guns seem like a waste, since my normal turrets are almost as fast and do more damage.

Mortars... well, I love mortars, but they suck energy bad - about 5 times more energy cost than the pulse guns have.

Right now I'm using a 4 pulse / 4 mortar / 10 normal turret setup, but it really doesnt seem optimal.
I have flown the Carrier quite some, during last 3 months;)

1. It's not that much of a fighting ship, idea is that it should have no chance against a BS or another BC, while it should be able to defend itself against other cruisers and gbs, and run from other things. It can defend itself against bombers.

2. Cruiser Razors and cruisers solaris on a ship of that size are really useless yes

3. So mix some normal guns, a few pulse guns, 1-2 mortars and 1-2 missiles and you'r good to go. But as I said in 1. you w
when i tested it the past months - i used:

- 2 infernos
- 2 light mortars
- 2 missiles
- 4 solaris turrets
- 8 primary turrets

that loadout made it possible to win against BHG BCs ( 50 / 50 ) - and fend off bombes - at least long enough to give your own fighters time to deal with them.

you can also go fully anti-cap
- 4 infernos
- 2 light mortars
- 2 missiles
- 10 primaries

that way, you can quite easily rip enemy ships apart - but stand little chance vs. smaller ships like bombers.

18 turrets gives you a tremendous number of choices. - the ship itself has a lot more firepower than any other battlecruiser in the game - ( 6 additional cruiser turrets > 2 battleship turrets ) - but its really big.

there s also different tactics of course. - the carrier can fire a lot weapons into the front arc - making a frontal charge a real alternative. - but its also quite small ( from the front and rear ) - so it can also do the kiting.

make use of the thruster, too.... only the BHG BC has a thruster other than the light carrier, it gives this otherwise very large ship a very good advantage in a close fight.
Uh, well looking on what you said.

I'd stick with pulse guns if you're good at using them, and they seem pretty in RP for a carrier which is like the awesome aritlliery.
well I figured out last night that the carrier cant even fire 4 mortars, so I dropped one off. Using 3 forward mortars / 4 pulse turrets now, and the rest order cruiser turrets.

Now the problem is just energy management and taking smaller ships. I cant even seem to hit NPC fighters half of the time with the normal turrets, and if I swap them to solaris they're useless against anything without enough firepower to actually harm me =(

I must say though, other than the ridiculous energy consumption, mortars are the coolest thing ever =P They remind me of quantum torpedoes from startrek... lol
I don't know if the Osiris has enough power for it, but try mounting two heavy mortars. 750k hull damage a piece.
Even if you can mount only one, it's still worth it to scrape the hull first, and get an insta-kill with the mortar.
' Wrote:I don't know if the Osiris has enough power for it, but try mounting two heavy mortars. 750k hull damage a piece.
Even if you can mount only one, it's still worth it to scrape the hull first, and get an insta-kill with the mortar.

I'm flying an order carrier, not an osiris =P The carrier can only equip cruiser class guns.
' Wrote:I'm flying an order carrier, not an osiris =P The carrier can only equip cruiser class guns.

Sorry, saw the word Osiris somewhere up there, jumped to conclusions.
But despite that, tell me, how many mortars can the carrier fire at once?
' Wrote:Sorry, saw the word Osiris somewhere up there, jumped to conclusions.
But despite that, tell me, how many mortars can the carrier fire at once?

3 light mortars. The carrier has, I think, 3,600,000 energy capacity, and the light mortars take 1,000,000 each to fire.