Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Withdrawn] Looking for players subforum proposal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am proposing an entirely new subforum for members to post OORP forum threads which states when and where they will be in-game.

Mock examples of possible threads inside the subforum:

"Smuggling run soon" - https://imgur.com/A1sB1Hu

"21:00 GMT Bering LN vs" - https://imgur.com/u25rjyh

If a new subforum is not possible then my secondary proposal would be to allow the "Looking for Group" subforum threads to allow replies and rename it to "Looking for Players" with a new subforum description outlining how it's a subforum for both searching for factions to join and when you are jumping in game and who wants to interact.

Q: Why have a subforum when people can do this on Discord?

• Discord does not have all members.
• Messages get lost in conversations.
• It would be fun to see a forum member you know/like/admire post in this subforum and then be able to catch them in-game and RP with them for likely the first time.
• It is useful to put more activity related content on the forums for forum lurkers/visitors to see.

Q: Why would I want to advertise where I am or what I am doing in-game?

• Server is no longer 200/200. Sometimes in order to meet players we need to let other members know out of game. You may find no use for this subforum, doesn't mean others won't too.

Q: Isn't this just a copy of our event subforum?

• No, the event subforum runs large events which are in the far future and require registration. This new subforum is for instant messages to increase the chances people find you in-game.

Q: We don't have room for another subforum

• Move "Discovery Launcher" which gets less activity than any other subforum it seems within "Help & Support". Demo. This makes space for this proposed subforum.
I don't disapprove of the idea of people actually doing this, but I don't think we need a subforum dedicated to it. Using the LFG forum for this purpose would be just fine, as is using the appropriate channel on the official Discord. The last thing we need to be doing is adding more subforums.
(10-14-2019, 09:55 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I don't disapprove of the idea of people actually doing this, but I don't think we need a subforum dedicated to it. Using the LFG forum for this purpose would be just fine, as is using the appropriate channel on the official Discord. The last thing we need to be doing is adding more subforums.

So you see the benefits from the idea, that's good. The LHG is an ideal place but currently its threads don't allow replies. That'll need to change.

Secondly the name "looking for group" won't match exactly. To fit both "looking for group" and "I'm logging in an hour" posts it could be renamed.

Perhaps renaming "LFG: Looking For Group" subforum to "Good Luck Out There"

Inside have threads with the titles:

[LFG]
[Logging]
(10-14-2019, 09:55 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I don't disapprove of the idea of people actually doing this, but I don't think we need a subforum dedicated to it. Using the LFG forum for this purpose would be just fine, as is using the appropriate channel on the official Discord. The last thing we need to be doing is adding more subforums.

However my man we could easily move "Discovery Launcher" which gets less activity than any other subforum it seems within "Help & Support".

This makes space for this proposed subforum.

Demo image - https://imgur.com/jZCMhN6
i actually had a meme idea at one point
it was basically making a big thread and being like "hello lets all log all at once at this hour doesnt matter what character or location just boost the playerlist so people see it and get attracted by the big number"

the new london gallia event was basically this

the problem is that server stability is at an all time low and if theres too many people in one area the server starts to chug and the lag becomes unbearable, rendering the game unplayable for everyone involved

this is a great idea but ultimately we need a stable server to put it in motion
The threads in this proposed subforum are likely to have a lifespan of a couple of hours to a half day.

Within that time, they more often than not will only attract 2 to 5 players meeting. Server is unlikely to pose a problem.
I would like this. Would help people expedite character progress, too.
More subforums only complicate things. When I feel like logging in, I log in without looking at Discord or forums, and this is unlikely to change - and I doubt it would change anything for majority of other players.
Rather than a subforum, I would suggest having a tag you can add to new threads in the event subforum. Something like [Flash Event], which attracts attention, and marks the thread for deletion/invisible after 48h of occurring.
An interesting idea WPeregrine.

Miloslav, others will make use of it even if you do not.

Thank you both for commenting and voting!
Pages: 1 2 3