Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: GRG Project: New Dawn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 20191006_140003.gif]

Genesis Research Group Project: New Dawn.

So, I got assigned to my first project for GRG. My part will be to create the sender and receiver for the Harvesters. I also need to create a server room with all kinds of electrical stuff so we can handle everything locally. So first steps first. I managed to figure out some schematics on how to build senders and receivers. So that's instead of the easy part. Loads of wires and some components but nothing too fancy. I guess I will start with that first, but I will also try to acquire the other parts that I need to have in-/outputs so the harvesters will know what to do when. This will be the more difficult part. I need to have an empty ship, so I can build in all the necessary parts and wire them correctly. It will take some time to do that, but once the first ship is completed, it should rather go quick. For the server room, I also have some ideas, and I will need a Rack, some cooling systems to keep it all efficient, monitors to watch how the ships are doing, and a few cameras. Nice and clean. So to start, I made a list of materials that I or some fellow workers need to collect. It will be quiet long right now because, well, we just start that project.

So, to start, I will build the needed components for the sender and receiver. As soon as I get my materials, I will begin with creating them, I will probably start with the sender, and after that, the receiver after that I will make some functioning tests to be sure that they work as they should.

So, that meeting took quite some time now... but its finally over, and now we can focus on the project itself. My people knew what to do, and I just looked up what they did in the time I was away. I saw that my materials got delivered for the first few prototypes, and they already started to build the parts I need to create a fully working harvester. I shall quickly explain what they did and for what. So, They built sensors and SPS components that will transform data into actual electronic commands, and vice-versa. This will help us to create an easier line of commands that come in and get executed because we don't have to rip all the equipment out of the ship and build in new parts. Like that, we can use normal parts because we can connect them to the system without any major problems. Once I arrive back on the Ames station, I will order a few of my people to strip a dromedary down to all non-essential components and start with the wiring, and I will look if I can find some free space where we can install our servers and cooling systems. So, what we don't need on those ships are systems that keep us alive since it will be completely autonomous. This will give us some great room to wire everything up and build our parts in. We can even re-use the cargo capacity sensors and wire them directly into the SPS system, which will save us some good amounts of time. Anyway, I will also have to check all the components first to see if my people did their job right. I also found some older plans for data transfer modules, and I think I will use those simply because it makes the most sense if we take something that exists already, but we will see. I first want to arrive and have a drink.

For now, that's all,
Jade out.

Finally, it took longer than we expected, but we arrived at Ames. So I did go through most of the parts that we need, but we had some small problems. My people made most of the parts right, but they didn't connect the right outputs in some devices that are needed to send electric commands to the ship. That means that we either have to change the wires in those parts and wire them the wrong way, or I have to let them do the work again and do it right. For the sake of a learning effect and as a sort of punishment, I would like to let them do it all again, but we are kind of under pressure because we should finish the project as soon as possible. I think I will leave it how it is and adjust the wiring inside the ship because its easier to connect wires differently rather than opening all those components again and change all the wires inside of it. The worst thing that could happen is that the ship gets a signal when it shouldn't get one, but that's not a major problem, we will see.

I also order a few engineers to strip a dromedary of all non-essential parts, that include the following systems.

- All life support systems
- Any advanced combat systems ( since we only need basic defense systems.)
- All additional equipment slots ( We don't want to lose space or power where it's not required.)
- All light Bayes and indoor lights ( Since this would be wasted energy.)

I also played with the thought to remove the nanobots since the evasive systems should be good enough that we will install, I know it sounds quite silly. Still, it could save us some functional space that we could use for additional cargo transportation... We shall see how it turns out.

Furthermore, I created a small SPS schematic to simplify how it will look like. We will upload our costume program on the control element and wire the in-/outputs like that we should be able to remote control all the systems that we need to control.

[Image: image18_572.png]

It's very simplified in this picture, but it only serves as an example anyway, so it doesn't matter. I also got myself and a few others to start the building of the server room. Most of the wiring is almost done by now, and we also installed an underpressure cooling system that cools the Server Racks from a hollow double floor — maximized cooling system for a server of that size. The server should be around a temperature of around 10°C, so we don't over cool it, and it won't overheat. We are creating the server so we could host about 50 ships at once, so we don't have to worry in anytime soon if we want to add more ships. The security cameras and scanners will also be handled on that server farm. Still, we will split it to a second smaller and secret server, so in case someone tries to manipulate our security systems, we should always be able to find out who it was even if they try to delete everything from the main servers. I would say we will be more secure with that system than most other systems that are out there. I will also get some of my people to try to hack into the server forcefully and to break into the server room, to test the security of it.

For now, that's all,
Jade out.

Alright, so we have been swamped. We have managed to finish everything, besides testing the system live at work, but we will try to test that tomorrow. So basically, the most important thing the server farm is now running. Currently, we keep it at 10% capacity while the first few ships get finished to be flight-ready in the next few hours. The Program is also finished and running, but no ships are active right now, and it will be tested when we send the first ships out. So let me explain what happened.

Let's start with the server farm. So we installed and wired all the server Racks up while another team installed the underpressure cooling systems.

[Image: LXBShwj.png]

With this cooling system, we have the best possible efficiency in all ways — better signal transmission through the cables and better running times on our components. Furthermore, we installed cameras in all corners and some iris scanners at the entry and exit of the room. We also added finger scanners that even detect your pulse before you can access the server Racks directly. When we tested it, no one was able even to open the door to the server farm before the security pointed their weapons on them. We also though to install fully automated turrets that fire on everything that is not registered and tries to enter, but that could end badly... So we decided not to do that. Anyway, the program is already on the server and should run just fine. I will show some simple examples of how the server runs nothing too fancy.

[Image: ezgif-2-5d800223eb37.gif]

So this is the early prototype that I upload here because we don't want to give anyone a chance to hack this and see how the current running program is functioning. Anyway, so as we can understand, all the commands work on the server-side if the ship will accept and follow the commands is something that we will see later today.

So to continue with the ships, we managed to scrap all the systems that I mentioned in the last log. It gave us a great space to work and even more space to wire everything up correctly. I also decided that we will use the false wired part and be careful with our wiring because if we had to open all the components and reworked them, it would have taken way too long. So now my crew is doing the last bits of the installations and the fine-tuning, so we should be soon flighted ready. It was a hard bit to get everything up and produce what we don't have, but least we can quickly say that we have our first product very soon.

For now, that's all,
Jade out.

Okay okay, so let's do it. We had some major difficulties. The components I said would be wired wrong. Well, turns out I tried to be smarter than I was. The wiring was right. God damn, that could have ended so much worse. We started the system and well, the ship started to thrust its engines before we entered a command, Luckily we had it fixed to the station. If that thing would have gotten lost it could have wrecked the main part of the station. Anyway, we fixed the wiring afterward. After that, we once more brought that ship into the right positions and started our program. This time it worked more or less fine. We had some smaller flaws in our system but those will be easy to adjust.

So, we sent the ship on its first basic route. It will fly completely empty from Ames to Cornith as a test. We will also monitor it 24/7 just to make sure everything works fine. While this is happening we started to already refit more ships. One is the Dromedary, it will act as the main ship with this system equipped since it is one of the easiest to refit.

Once we got all the data from the flight we will do the last fine adjustments and start to mass-produce our system. If everything works out we will have soon the first autonomous ships flying around without any sort of AI behind it.

For now, that's all,
Jade out.

So, we sent one ship out to test the system and how it functions. The ship went from Ames to Cornith without significant incidents. We had a few hostile encounters, but the system handled them reasonably well. We had to take over manual control once because a ship with a cloaking device closed in, and the system failed and shut itself down because it had some detection failure that overloaded the program. Once the vessel docked on Corinth, we set up the new parameters, so this would not happen again. We then ordered one of our pilots to try it, and it worked reasonably well, we had some small delay in the reaction till the EM radiation got caught on the scanner, but the rest worked fine. We then considered to upgrade the scanning equipment to avoid such failures in the future, but in the end, this will be something that the end-user has to decide some people might not be able to afford the latest high tech on their drones.

On the way home, our drone encountered a hostile capital vessel which was a very tense moment because we once again had to take over the control because the system acted to slow again such a huge ship. Even though we had a small delay on our drone with manual control we managed to bring it out safely. Once the drone arrived we started to adjust our system and program to make it almost perfect, of course, there is always upgrade potential. Without that, we wouldn't work on such projects but for the market the project is finished.

For now, that's all,
Jade out.