Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: She Blinded Me With Science
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Max Zorin walked into the Einstein Lab at the University of Cambridge at exactly 3:00 P.M. He hoped that his cover would hold long enough to get the report from Dr. Robinson. Max had been tasked with an important mission requiring the utmost discretion and had carried it out with zeal. He had been tasked to find a way to prove that the KKS-Sirene was in fact the Lane Hacker's own Fu Manchu, a ship thought lost to both time and space. The Inner Circle strongly believes that the KKS-Sirene was in fact the Fu Manchu. Max spoke to Dr. Robinson's lab assistant and was told that she was in a lecture and would come to greet him momentarily. As he was sat in the sparely furnished conference room he thought back on the journey he had taken to get to this moment.

Aaron Sommers, of the Liberty Security Force, was the case agent on Max's murderous escape from Ageira Technologies. The case had been virtually non-existent since Max had disappeared and some sympathizers had informed him that Sommers was a climber, eager to make his name by bringing down a high profile criminal. Max contacted one of the sympathizers and laid out a trap for Sommers. The sympathizer had contacted Summers and offered him information on Max. Max had provided just enough information on his activities and whereabouts since his escape to convince Sommers that the sympathizer was the genuine article. Sommers eagerly setup a meeting on Planet Pittsburgh with the sympathizer. Max knew that Sommers, while overeager, was not stupid. As Max predicted Sommers followed his cutout right to Max. Max will never forget the look on his Sommers' face when the door slammed shut behind him.

Agent Summers Max said with a twisted smile on his face How nice of you to join me! Max guided Sommers into a chair in the center of the room and gruffly pushed him down on it.

You! Sommers responded, with a look of shock on his face What do you want?

Oh what I want is simple Max replied jovially You're going to give me the codes to access your LSF communication channel.

You're supposed to be a genius! Sommers responded, his shock turning to revulsion They said you joined the Lane Hackers... I thought you people could hack anything. He didn't so much say the words as he did spit them at Max.

Oh... I have no problem hacking your account. Max responded matter of factly But I don't want to risk being caught. So let's make it very simple, you give me your access codes, or my associate and I are going yank out your teeth one at a time. He finished his statement with a smile. At that moment, Dr. Robinson walked in, suffice it to say, Sommers had been "following a lead" since their meeting, he did give up his access codes. The hard way. "Aaron Sommers" opened a dialog with Dr. Robinson to get the evidence he and the Inner Circle needed.

Agent Sommers Dr. Robinson smiled and greeted him warmly I do apologize for being late, my lecture ran over.

Oh it's no problem at all Doctor Max replied with a smile before continuing I apologize for taking up your time with meeting in person, but I'm sure you understand that any dealings concerning the Lane Hackers are very sensitive and need to be handled with the utmost discretion.

Of course She said with a smile, Max noted that her shoulder length brown hair framed her face perfectly I have the report here but would you like to hear my summary first?

Of course, and just let me say I appreciate your assistance in this matter, as does the rest of the LSF. James responded with a warm smile, he may not be capable of any real emotional connection, but he could certainly fake one.

Well, in brief, I analyzed the KKS-Sirene on atomic, molecular, and electromagentic spectrums, and as you'll see my analysis shows that it is nearly certain that the KKS-Sirene is the Lane Hacker vessel known as the Fu Manchu she finished with a polite smile, before handing him a paper version of the report. This is my only copy, as you requested I have not saved a copy of this to our computer system, all of my notes have been put away in a misnamed file. It's highly irregular, but we understand the sensitive nature of your work.

Thank you, Doctor. I am deeply appreciative of all the work you've done for us. Max took the paper and stood up, offering his hand. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Dr. Robinson took his hand and shook it with a smile It was stimulating work, thank you for coming to me with it, hopefully one day we'll meet again.

Full Report Wrote:To: Agent Aarom Sommers, Liberty Security Force

From: Dr. Emily Robinson, Director, Applied Particle Physics Research Lab

Subject: Analysis of KKS-Sirene

Qualifications: PhD, Applied Physics, Cambridge University
M.A., Physics, Cambridge University
B.S., Physics, Chemistry, Cambridge University
Testified before Boards of Inquiry and Courts of Law in all four Major Houses
Published in the Sirius Journal of Applied Physics, Bretonian Science Reader, Libertonian Science Today

Analysis: I was provided with scanner reading of the ship KKS-Sirene and scanner readings of the Lane Hacker vessel Fu Manchu and asked to compare them on a number of subatomic levels. I proceeded with my analysis of the Fu Manchu before doing the comparison with the KKS-Sirene. In order to do my analysis I examined the scanner readings of the Fu Manchu on atomic, molecular, and optical physics levels. My first finding of note was in examining the engine signature of the Fu Manchu. The Fu Manchu’s engine has an anomoly where, particularly at cruise speed but lower speeds as well, the engine would emit trace amounts of uranium-235 at specific intervals depending on the speed (2 PPM (parts per million) at cruise, .02 PPM at idle, and .5-.75 depending on non-cruise speeds). To aid in my analysis, I examined the readouts of five other ships of comparable size and design. In my analysis these ships emitted between .001-.025 PPM of uranium-235 at various speeds, far more within the normal operational range of ships of this size.

I next examined the molecular structure of the hull of the Fu Manchu. The Fu Manchu is made up of 55% steel, 20% iron, 15% titanium, 8% tungsten, and 2% aluminum. A molecular analysis of the aluminum found an imperfection in the molecular makeup. I compared this aluminum to the aluminum used in the construction of four other contemporary Lane Hacker ships and fifteen other contemporary ships of other governments, factions, and independent designs. This imperfection was only found the Fu Manchu and the other five Lane Hacker ships examined, which indicates that this was caused by some sort of defect in the manufacturing equipment.

Finally, I examined the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the Fu Manchu. Do to its unique design, the engine emits electromagnetic radiation inconsistent with any of the scans the Lab has in its voluminous records. I spoke to Dr. Karl Vendigen of New York University who is a professor of sociology and an expert on the Lane Hackers. Dr. Vendigen advised that the Fu Manchu was a one off, specially designed ship. This information is consistent with my findings regarding the electromagnetic readings.

After completing the analysis of the Fu Manchu I then compared that to the scans of the KKS-Sirene. In the interests of scientific integrity I obtained a scan from a Junker vessel in addition to the scan submitted by the Lane Hackers. I confirmed that both scans matched and were of the same vessel.

On an atomic level, the KKS-Sirene emits 4 PPM of uranium-235 at cruise speeds, .06 at idle, and 1-1.5 PPM at various other speeds. According to the information provided, the KKS-Sirene was found adrift and had suffered moderate to severe damage. This increase in uranium-235 emissions is consistent with a vessel that initially produced more uranium-235 emissions and then suffered a period of no maintenance coupled with damage.

On a molecular level, I examined the hull of the KKS-Sirene and found an identical aluminum imperfection to the aluminum used in the Fu Manchu. The chances of this imperfection based on the research of the other vessels done in the Fu Manchu analysis leads to a conclusion with near certainty that the KKS-Sirene is at the very least a ship manufactured by the Lane Hackers.

Finally, an electromagnetic radiation analysis reveals that the electromagnetic signature of the KKS-Sirene is nearly identical to the Fu Manchu. The increased uranium-235 release is the most likely cause of the slight variation in the electromagnetic signature. The signatures of the Fu Manchu and KKS-Sirene are nearly identical, and wholly inconsistent with any other ship in the Lab’s database.

Conclusion: Based on all of the analysis done, there is a 1 in 750,000,000 chance that the vessel known as the KKS-Sirene is NOT the Fu Manchu.

With that Max took his leave, he did not examine the report until he returned to Mactan base. He was very pleased with his work and its contents.

As Zorin sat in the Leiden Lounge, sipped his whiskey and smoked his cigar, he couldn't help but smile to himself as his thoughts returned to his latest gambit. He thought the toughest part was going to be to get the good Doctor Robinson to buy the doctored scans he had provided, but she'd bought it hook, line and sinker. Zorin prided himself on knowing the right people for the right jobs and this was no exception. He made a mental note to give his contact a bonus for the excellent work.

As if on queue his comms unit went off, it was from the Planet Pittsburgh used ship dealer, he gruffly answered You know Benny I'm getting real tired of you asking me if I need an extended warranty on my ship.

Ha. Very funny cabron. How's business? His contact, codenamed Bimota asked, his gravely voice cheery as always.

Business is excellent my friend. Zorin replied happily. I must commend you on your excellent work in your latest venture by the way. That is the least of your many talents.

Muy bien Bimota replied I'm always happy to help you, sticking it to those pendejos is just an added bonus.

Oh speaking of bonuses said Zorin, manipulating a few buttons on his pad I've transferred an extra five million credits to the usual account. You exceeded all expectations on this one. The doctored scans and the specs on the Fu Manchu you produced in order to match up with the Sirene were magnificent.

Muchas gracias Bimota replied, Zorin could picture the smile on his face I called to ask you a favor he paused and Zorin wondered what it was but he knew Bimota fairly well and trusted him not to do anything too crazy is there anyway I can have a look at the specs of the Fu Manchu? I know it's old but I think I might be able to work it into some of my own designs.

Zorin thought for a moment, he didn't think it'd be too big of a deal given the age of the ship but it was beyond his pay grade. I'll do what I can but it's not my call, let me talk to my people and I'll let you know.

Excelente Bimota replied Until next time take it easy amigo.

You too my friend give my regards to your wife and your mistress. With that Zorin ended the call and returned to too his whiskey. It was shaping up to be a good day.