Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trade events or hot spots need to come back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yeah I'm always all for a high value route, flavor of the month type of trade event routine. Would be nice to get a new high price on something every month or two again, and let it run. At the very least that route always winds up active.

But for this I suggest doing something outside the box again and choose our sell destinations wisely. Some places are just terrible for trying to catch someone. Pick a place that is actually sort of isolated from other bases and trade lanes by at least 40-50k, for the last leg of the route, like in Munich with Planet Nuremberg. There should be a little challenge to getting it to the final destination, and a fair chance to intercept, rather than a ship coming out of lane that is almost right next to the dock point. I learned that lesson in Leeds.

In that case, Nuremberg and Gran Canaria/New Sydney would be ideal sell points, just make it valueable enough and people will brave that last gap! And in both cases there are multiple ways to enter the system.
(11-08-2019, 08:21 PM)darkwind Wrote: [ -> ]May be rotation could be made, but center of Sirius should be always the center. Well, or whatever else one House space should be constant... it just sounds ridiculous for me investing in different factions based on month rotation with having very different ships. It would multiply costs seriously.

I was refering to a commodity that is slightly buffed, I think there are IDs aviable that let you go to all houses.
we have seen very clearly how Trade Event works, especially the one in Roussillon. playing them remains until incredible times and the interaction has been miserable
(11-08-2019, 08:48 PM)TheUnforgiven Wrote: [ -> ]Pick a place that is actually sort of isolated from other bases and trade lanes by at least 40-50k, for the last leg of the route, like in Munich with Planet Nuremberg. There should be a little challenge to getting it to the final destination, and a fair chance to intercept...

Interesting idea regarding the isolated bases for the last leg of route. I can already see the value escourts would bring. Nice input my man. Thank you.
Updated OP with quotes reinforcing the point that trading brings players together.
It brings people temporary to server and afterwards they stop trading and pirates have even less targets in longterm.
(11-09-2019, 11:48 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]It brings people temporary to server and afterwards they stop trading and pirates have even less targets in longterm.

Do we have evidence that it brings people only temporarily to the server?

Making players more likely to interact results in more people logging on generally.
With these Trade Events, people make billions, some of it done during the quiet periods. The power trading is quite full on for the short duration (even by those that are always complaining about power traders). Once the Event is over, the activity drastically reduces as people have now have plenty of money.

Traders increase, then, slightly as new Players join and need to make their money.

It is a vicious circle where money becomes even easier to make and is a short term activity booster.

If you had them all the time (ie one after another), then very quickly you would see the activity drop off over time as everyone is flooded with money.

The only way I can see this changing is by drastically increasing the cost of everything or make available very high cost items that will force Players having to Trade to get them.

Go back 8 years and the amount of CAUVIIIs around was quite small, even with the amount of people playing. Now, a lot of Players have multiples of them (even going up in to the multiples of 10). Back then, it took me about a year to make my first billion, now people can quite easily make that in a week and with a Trade Event 1-2 days. Money is just too easy to make.

The damage has been done and will require a lot of thought to change it.
(11-09-2019, 12:35 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I can see this changing is by drastically increasing the cost of everything or make available very high cost items that will force Players having to Trade to get them.

I see no problem in that.
(11-09-2019, 12:35 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]With these Trade Events, people make billions, some of it done during the quiet periods. The power trading is quite full on for the short duration (even by those that are always complaining about power traders). Once the Event is over, the activity drastically reduces as people have now have plenty of money.

Traders increase, then, slightly as new Players join and need to make their money.

It is a vicious circle where money becomes even easier to make and is a short term activity booster.

If you had them all the time (ie one after another), then very quickly you would see the activity drop off over time as everyone is flooded with money.

The only way I can see this changing is by drastically increasing the cost of everything or make available very high cost items that will force Players having to Trade to get them.

Go back 8 years and the amount of CAUVIIIs around was quite small, even with the amount of people playing. Now, a lot of Players have multiples of them (even going up in to the multiples of 10). Back then, it took me about a year to make my first billion, now people can quite easily make that in a week and with a Trade Event 1-2 days. Money is just too easy to make.

The damage has been done and will require a lot of thought to change it.

Fair point. Interesting read.

We could spin this then. Instead of having trade events which make people earn too much money - We make most trade routes earn significantly less and instead have 1/2/3 trade routes which make the amount of money our current top tier routes do.

I am struggling to find a way to format this idea on text clearly enough. If the above isn't clear...

So currently a top tier ship/armour costs 800,000,000.

We have too many top tier trade/mining/smuggling routes that make 50,000,000 on a good day (not true but just for this example). You can make good money and avoid large portions of Sirius and so avoid interaction. Players can hide and are unlikely to bump into pirates because pirates do not know where they can reliably find traders consistently.

Instead of the OP which proposed making routes/events that make 100,00,000 on a good day - We instead make only 1/2/3 routes make 50,00,000 a day and the other 99% of routes make only a % of those 1/2/3 routes. We then publicise these 1/2/3 routes for everyone can get involved instantly.

We can then rotate those 1/2/3 routes around Sirius over months so different factions have ZOI over them.

Edit: We could also release UAU and CAU to tier 10 (x4.0) and reduce the CAU VIII to (x?.?). That is one way to make people have something new to work towards thus again encouraging traders log. Thus encouraging pirates log and consequently police/navy/escourts/hunters log.
Pages: 1 2 3 4