Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Pingtarget Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(12-08-2019, 05:20 PM)Y'berg Wrote: [ -> ]It's retarded. Seriously, don't you have more important things to do?

(12-08-2019, 05:25 PM)Rogue Wrote: [ -> ]LOL

(12-08-2019, 10:40 PM)Prysin Wrote: [ -> ]that is the third worst excuse i've seen on these forums.

Would any of you care to explain your problem with this change?
(12-08-2019, 05:25 PM)Rogue Wrote: [ -> ]LOL

Rinz come back boi
and summed it up, no need to spend more wirds on it
There are like 5 players you maybe can tell by their ping but what you actually can tell them by is their flight style. I could only guess Wesker and Ends by their pings but not anyone else.
(12-09-2019, 07:31 AM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]There are like 5 players you maybe can tell by their ping but what you actually can tell them by is their flight style. I could only guess Wesker and Ends by their pings but not anyone else.

and thats the problem. You shouldnt be able to tell who is who by monitoring their ping.
(12-09-2019, 07:49 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 07:31 AM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]There are like 5 players you maybe can tell by their ping but what you actually can tell them by is their flight style. I could only guess Wesker and Ends by their pings but not anyone else.

and thats the problem. You shouldnt be able to tell who is who by monitoring their ping.

I watch their flight style and can tell anyway. RP behavior can also give it away, it is an unnecessary change that implies people constantly feel unjustfully discovered while trying to be anonymous.
Bigger issue is how majority of players are obsessed with knowing who they play with or against. Or how they must be vocal about the fact that they met that player or that.

People forget that this is a game where you control a character and meet other characters. It's a shame that with dwindling community we have complication such as higher level of toxicity when you are "forced" to play against players or factions you don't like ooRPly and that influences your RP choices, such as harsher words directed to "character" while you actually try to hurt player behind character.

This is an issue that cannot be solved through such changes like this. It requires actual voluntary change from each person to stop such practice and to not condone others doing the same.

For me, it matters little of who I have to play with or against as long as the interaction is enjoyable. I urge others to try to get rid of this stigma that you are required to know who is behind what character and immerse into roleplay just a bit more.

Make peace, not drama.
(12-09-2019, 07:56 AM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 07:49 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]

I watch their flight style and can tell anyway. RP behavior can also give it away, it is an unnecessary change that implies people constantly feel unjustfully discovered while trying to be anonymous.

Wesker is a good example. Yes his fighting style is very obvious. If I get Forward Nuked on the first pass I know its him. But being able to /ping a group of people and instantly find out which one is wesker to focus him down is a bit crappy.
Don't really mind this change all that much tbh. If it opens the door for abuse then I'll criticize it, but until then I must deploy a tactical shrug.

I feel like the bigger threat to player anonymity is simply the fact that a staff member can quite easily look into who a person is and then share it with their faction of interest or one which they deem valuable to them. This has occurred somewhat infrequently but still frequently enough to cause concern. Ping, being the inconsistent factor that it is can be easily dismissed as connectivity fluctuates in terms of efficiency.

is actually correct when he labels this as an issue tied to the community and the extreme paranoia it inculcates. You don't need to /ping a target to destroy someone's anonymity, you just need the right connections. And you can't do anything these days without someone trying to judge you instead of the action in the environment.
Quote:I feel like the bigger threat to player anonymity is simply the fact that a staff member can quite easily look into who a person is and then share it with their faction of interest or one which they deem valuable to them. This has occurred somewhat infrequently but still frequently enough to cause concern. Ping, being the inconsistent factor that it is can be easily dismissed as connectivity fluctuates in terms of efficiency.

An interesting accusation.

There are 6 people who have access to the Desk (4 GMs, Alex and Xalrok).

If you have any evidence of this happening, then please enlighten me and I will try to stop it.

There are plenty of Faction Roll Calls in which a multitude of people name their Ship's with great pride. Then there are the Threads such as Account Banned, Characters Lost and even the Event Registrations Threads that can supply much information.

There again, there is the word of mouth, when in Group Chats, when one person knows who is behind a certain Ship's name and informs the Group.

So, I would like to believe it is quite probably one of those plethora of 'Conspiracy Theories'.
Pages: 1 2 3 4