Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: MAXLancer (import/export for 3ds Max)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: juGDJW5.png][Image: r5bRtCz.png]
[Image: otLD5Zb.png][Image: tWT8g1H.png]

MAXLancer is a set of MaxScript-based tools for Autodesk 3ds Max (2017 or above) to import and export models for Freelancer.

The intent is to have everything in one place to streamline asset development and quickly get from modeling meshes to Freelancer model. This includes hardpoints, LOD meshes, HUD wireframes, hitboxes, compound hierarchy for complex models and much more.
  • Import and export rigid models (.3db and .cmp) with collision surfaces (.sur) and compound animations.
  • Import and export materials and textures (.mat).
  • Import deformable models (.dfm) and animations (.anm).
Currently this is a public beta version. Key features do work but expect bugs. It's being developed and tested primarily in 3ds Max 2018.
In general I've been testing it mostly on vanilla assets so there might be some quirky models out there not compatible with current importing routines.

Download from GitHub

Thanks to for assistance, and for beta testing.
This is one hell of a Christmas Gift! Thanks a lot!
To be clear, this version supports vertex color/alpha for vanilla style starspheres?
I hope this will help streamline ship and other assets creation and editing, and ease some bottlenecks that afflict this mod progression. If it also enables more people give a try at modelling with less difficulty , then its golden.
(12-25-2019, 03:04 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]To be clear, this version supports vertex color/alpha for vanilla style starspheres?
Yes it does. It's not a global option rather it is enabled individually per LOD mesh. Vertex color and alpha use and require mapping channels -2 and 0. Just drop two Vertex Paint modifiers for each.
(12-25-2019, 09:42 AM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-25-2019, 03:04 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]To be clear, this version supports vertex color/alpha for vanilla style starspheres?
Yes it does. It's not a global option rather it is enabled individually per LOD mesh. Vertex color and alpha use and require mapping channels -2 and 0. Just drop two Vertex Paint modifiers for each.

A literal Christmas miracle. Thank you Yuri.
This community owes a lot to you (without them realizing it) Yuri.

For anyone who wants to know what this toolset does:
- everything.

If Digital Anvil released its 1,5 decade old tools that they used to make the game with, then MAX Lancer would be far superior. But make no mistake - it still takes a lot of learning to be able to do things properly, even with this FULL package of Art tools.

This should also mean that standards for model submissions are now higher than ever before (correct me if I'm wrong, ). People need to learn how to:
- make LODs (at least lod1 for smaller ships or weapons) and even lod2, lod3 for stations and bigger ships...
- make HUD Wireframes (yes, if my input means anything, I will INSIST on that as a requirement for accepting a submission);
- proper MAT referencing (no more duplicating preexisting materials and making redundant MAT files);
- proper SUR hitboxes (self-explanatory);
- proper model geometry!!! Normals correctly done, mesh as clean as humanly possible;
- proper SCALE - now you don't have any excuse for not importing a vanilla model and scaling yours accordingly;

Those are all the mandatory things. The more advanced stuff (like texture animation, CMP animation etc. is not a requirement).

P.S. Just saw the included HTML manual, its awesome. A small code addition to make the page body properly viewable through Internet Explorer 11:
Code:
body {
    position: fixed;
    left: 16rem;
    margin: 0;
}
Thank you once again Yuri.

With MaxLancer, it comes the new era of modeling I hope.
Pinned for visibility.
Can this be made to work with Autodesk Maya? if at all possible, though I'm not exactly sure myself to what extent i can get things done in Maya such as HP'ing, theres a lot I'd like to learn for this, but at the same time a lot im not sure im able to do, haven't had a chance to check, nor do i know how to.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5