Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Got excited about RPing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Alright. At what point are you now?
Where do we start?
Thanks for this, again really useful. I guess the implicit advice here is stick to 'House-space' for now and get the feel of it. Spend this time building up a character and prepare to go leave for the cluster-fuck which you make edge worlds out to be.

So there is no active core faction atm? That's a shame, I was originally thinking of joining up with APM.

(12-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Typrop Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so, here's the thing.

"Official" house space, is, as mentioned, things like Kusari, Rheinland, Bretonia, Liberty, and Gallia. That's the overall majority of territory.
You then got border worlds, which are chock full of people screwing around in their own interests, like the IMG in the Taus, or RHA in the Omegas. Everybody's got a stake somewhere and it makes independent activity rather hellish for some.
Edge worlds? Technically free game. Technically. Order and Nomads will get up your nose for anything they can think of. Corsairs and Outcasts, too. This is how Groshyr is right.

How Groshyr is wrong, at least implicitly, is that it doesn't make doing what you want impossible. It just makes it extremely annoying if it intersects with the interests of whoever's in charge, and if they find out.

If. They find out. The trick, and one that I'm frankly terrible at, is to not get caught if you're doing something weird. Or at the very least maneuver yourself into a position where they're unwilling to take action against you. Yes, this includes paying out cash.

You'll also probably notice very quickly it'll be really hard to make a dent into existing RP, so you'll get pressured into joining a faction so you can do things. I'd personally advise against this if you're building a character, because a frequent mindset is that their character has basically no life outside of the faction. This, of course, implies you care about writing a character other than being dude in faction x. Which, you might, might not, I can't read your brain.

There's also just certain places people don't want you poking around, like in the Omicrons. Order and Nomads, again, very touchy about who is where and when. Order doesn't want you in systems they consider their own, Nomads likewise. Core? Nobody talks about Core. Because it's dead, at least, until there's the necessary surge in activity to resuscitate the faction. Again.

Much like EVE, this game's a real pain to actually have fun in, but it's possible, and it's gonna feel like a skinner box the entire way through, until you get that gratification, which is very sweet. Then again, that's virtually any long-running, public roleplay community in a nutshell.
(12-30-2019, 11:44 AM)UllaJensen Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this, again really useful. I guess the implicit advice here is stick to 'House-space' for now and get the feel of it. Spend this time building up a character and prepare to go leave for the cluster-***** which you make edge worlds out to be.

So there is no active core faction atm? That's a shame, I was originally thinking of joining up with APM.

I forget if they're genuinely "active," but a fair whack of official factions are pretty much dead in the water due to having only like, 1 day of combined activity for the month or something, you won't see them around much, much less interact with them. You kind of hit us at a relative lower-point in the game's lifetime.

Read house laws. Seriously, do that, memorize them. Because house police, particularly LPI, will try to get up your nostril for even the slightest infractions. And yes, it will likely be recorded for future events as well. Edge worlds are less regulated, but people also hate eachother more openly because of it. Spend most of your time trading starting out. Why? Because the Sirian Credit has basically zero value and you're gonna be spending a bunch of them if you want anything notable.

I would say go Junker, but as far as I can tell, Junkers are in a tenuous position in Liberty space. If you want to double dip in both smuggling and legitimate trading, though, that's kind of your go-to ID, particularly as an independent. Legal trading? Honestly, look at all of your options. Any number of corporations are there if you want to make money and have access to the really, really big transports so you can make more money to do what you want.

I'll also say that there's not a single guaranteed spot for RP, as it seems to circulate all over the place, and the world's kind of too big for the playerbase we have right now, so if you do find RP, try and make something of it.
Core is unfortunately dead due to factors I have tried to attend to but are ultimately out of my control. What stops me from disbanding is I'm still holding onto the tiny shred of hope that the Developers will eventually notice these issues and things will change for the better. That and I'm fairly sure as soon as Core| is gone, a certain faction will immediately try to muscle in on everything Core has and absorb it into their 'NPC' faction.

I would encourage any attempts to make another Core group to fill the void.
Right now I am just saving for the Hegemon to up my mining game. The first real goal is 100m to fund a Democritus for a Obital Spa / APM character. I guess it will be a Obital Spa since I suspect the Democritus won't last very long in the Edge worlds. So right now I am very interested in which factions are active, where are there some good RP to be had. Originally I had my eyes set on the Core but someone mentioned here that the are inactive.

Also can someone point me towards a good site to read the law, or is the wiki the 'best' place for that?

(12-30-2019, 11:41 AM)Zoe Cromwell Wrote: [ -> ]Alright. At what point are you now?
Where do we start?
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=8584 - Laws.

Also, mining advice: Don't go for a Hegemon, the fastest way to mine would be to get somebody else, or be the person in a Surveyor to fill up a large transport, and then split the profits. You can check the active factions via the player utilities tab, under faction status. Consider saving up money for big armor upgrades, as well. They'll make you a much, much harder target, particularly as a Democritus.

Edit: Also, give me a shipname of yours. I'll see about passing along a cash injection to make things a bit easier on you.
Pages: 1 2 3