Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bleeps on cloaking devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone share the same opinion here....

Cloaking devices are usually used for stealth purposes,So when it was introduced that they started to make a Bleep noise .

What is the purpose of this seeing as the whole idea of a cloak is to stay hidden.

I would like to know if anyone else thinks cloaks should go silent again

Silencing them might make hunting cloaked ships exciting again
and also better for battle groups and PvP excitement

Please share an opinion
maybe not remove the sound but lower the range its can be heard to like 2k (scanner range)
Cloaks are fine the way they are. Snubs and gunboats can use them to escape from battle, cruisers and battleships can use them to spy and position themselves. The beeping sound starts playing at 3k distance from the camera to the first point of the target's hitbox (as in, not the center of the ship or the other's camera). That means cruisers and battleships have a little range to snoop around. Everything in 3k will cause the sound and give the enemy a fair chance to react (dropping mines in active engagements, cloak disruptors, repositioning/fleeing). This is especially necessary since battleships otherwise manage to instagib the buttcloaked target.

Stealth, in Discovery, means just to be unseen. It does not mean you need to be invisible when only 100M away from a target. Especially since cloaks don't drain weapon core.
I found snub cloaks as good benefit for quick scout missions, not only to escape battle or evaid risky situations.

Imo, cloak beeps are needed to warn yourself or team to prevent buttcloaking or decloak hidden scout. Literally, for tacticial purpose, but I have minds to restrict beeps for intel factions, police or techno-buffed factions like Core or Order.
I'd love to see it gone, or reduced to 1k or under. I think if kept we could stand to gain on the other end to balance it out. There was talk long ago of finally making regular CD's no longer work on cloaks when Cloak Disruptors were introduced.

It definitely ruined using cloaks to hunt. Buttcloaking isnt the end of the world as long as the rules are kept to. You either RP a bit before an attack or not, cloaked or not. I would instead suggest we add it as an earnable feature of using a Jint, Minified or regular spyglass scanner, so to get that beep you have to have purchased a moneysink scanner. That would be nice.

The other thing is that with a beep giving your presence away, maybe we could end the ban on cloaked espionage. It used to be fun to try and listen in on someone cloaked or get in close and get scans of a ship, which could be used for bounties or whatever RP purpose, but it can't be used because it would offend those players? Come on! Its yet another situation where tying players down kills a lot of opportunities.
make ships able to use cloak but disallow the use of shields while a cloak is equipped
also remove the sound

fixed
well again some good replies i think

maybe reducing the distance could be a good step

also the idea of the military or police having a silent cloak could be good for the game and make pirates a bit more cautious

anyway keep brining the suggestions and comments

good so far
Just to correct everyone. The real beeping distance is 4k = 4000 meters.
No, it's not.

[Image: unknown.png]
I concur with either deleting the sound completely or nerfing range to be detected only from 1K, that way hunting can be fun again, thus, for example, if you in a capital ship bigger than gunboat and youre lets say scouting safe from 2.5K, and the hunted turns around it will naturally get closer to you so it might trigger the alarm, if the distance is at 1K you will have just enough time to turn a bit and stay out of cloak detection range. Plus, CDing cloaks is stupid, what the hell were cloak disruptors made for then even? Just to disrupt them mid cloak? No, remember vanilla: Did cloaked ships have beep sounds? No, did they not. I know they were NPCs, but they had a ****ton of health, since about 70 percent were capital ships. And another point related to Cloaks and CDs. If youre trapped in a snubfight, and lets say in a lucky case, your enemy didnt even know you had a cloak on your snub, but keeps CDing you at least 2 times in 10 seconds (the needed time to cloak up in a light cloaking device) to perform minetraps etc. im not a snub expert to say maneuvers. Cloaks are element-of-surprise tools yes? Then why can't we use em that way? If you know someone is coming you already know hes at the most 3.2K aprox., and if you react fast as i do per moment, you have time to turn away and run. If its a cap with CD, it wont be able to do anything, and it would be stupid to have it decloak at more than 1000 meters, if its a snub, well, it can catch up with you any way, and if youre a snub too, eventually youll fight and only one leaves alive.

Just delete the sound or reduce to 1K.
Pages: 1 2