Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Laterz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I normally don't speak out since I tend to be a lurker but I wanted to point somethings out as a newbie who joined some 4 months ago. My experience since playing as a lawful in Rheinland has been fun when yall aren't around and not as good when yall around. I think alone in the first day I was in 2 or three ganks. Not fun.

Recently I've been burnt out trading and now lost my major source of income because of the sieges. I don't have alot of creds like the rest. Now trying to afford junk is gonna be harder. Since I been on I rarely been in a fight where I could win, all I hear is get gud or watch tutorials which I have but no amount of practicing would make up the time many have spent playing this game.

I remember I joined a fight where I couldn't tell if they were joking but I was told to make the fight interesting. Died in less than a minute to hear no, not interesting. How is that fun? These sieges tho I think where the worst. I could just hop on an alt and avoid fights but with a siege of a base that took players lots of time and dedication I have to be there. First day dead in less then 1 minute again. Tried again in a gunboat, swarmed by bombers and died. Next day roll out bs and die, but that made sense since I had very little experience using a Rhein bs. But that last day was bad, there were no more than 17+ people seigeing the base. Same thing for the next sieges.

Yall realize that alot that log are newbies right? Its wierd watching a bunch of guys happy over destroying people that have so little time on here. Since I been here I got just 3 snub kills and 1 gunboat. The first was a rogue bnd pilot but it was with the help of friend. The second was a bomber that I had found wondering in nb. It was evenly matched but both of us died. It was fun tho. And a ai ship that appeared and me and a friend fought. We couldn't scratch the shield even less the armor but with a well place mine that my friend set up and some good hits in the end I got him. The guy was nice. The gunboat was also through some help. But everything outside of that has been a loss. I have not won in a fighter fest. Not once. And thats just on the server side of things. Coming on here and watching alot of people tease or troll my friends sucks. I don't understand. You win the fight yet you got to rub it in our face? I get it, meme, haha. But when its the same 5 or 6 teasing and escalating on not one but various threads, it starts to seem a little excessive.

You need +5 ingame and on the server to win? I don't know yall, I haven't played discovery since the lib v rhein war and not even on this server but yall need to chill. This game is for fun, and interesting rp we can make together. I can't in good faith continue either. This game was fun, was. But watching this thread and others where yall are just beating on these people is just sad. This isn't about pixle power or what ever that means, this is about being good to each other. We aren't enemies irl to tear each other on the server and then turn around on the forum to say ha ha we beat you get gud. I liked the idea of meeting people here, rping together as allies or enemies and having fun doing it. I'm just amazed how far its gone down tho.

I won't go into mods or gms since I almost never speak to them. But recently yall are wierd. I've read the rules many times and some of these also apply to the ones saying we are bad. You guys should be the best of us and be impartial. Yet it seems siding with what everyone is saying or doing is the order of the day. Don't get me wrong, I don't care how the story is going, nor my losses or finances but man. This game is not for newer players, or even some players that have been on here. I get why it went from 200 to 50, or even 20 I seen once.

Welp, and seeing again the thread refreshed, it just reinforces my point. (its locked now) Just leave them alone. Please? Is that too hard to ask? Yall won, you win. Congratulations. Just leave my friends alone. No need to be rude. 6+ sieges and 20+ active players and 5+factions together to bring in the new year, wow. Good luck yall.

I think like Riehl said I will probably leave for some time maybe forever, idk. This isn't fun. This isn't a community. This isn't freelancer. To the few actually pilots that were apart of these groups that are good people like that one guy that let me and my friend fight him together, thank you. We lost but it was a good rp and fight. Keep on doing good. And to the rest of the people on here that are good people too have a good day. And please, for the good of the server, try to be better people. You'll alienate any people wanting to play. Fair fights and no toxic posts. I mean, can't you lose sometimes? This won't get you far, I promise. Funny, I only made it 4 months..... I wish yall the best.
I added some paragraph spacing so that this is more readable. I hope you don't mind.
Well thanks for trying man, those who are willing to get into a fight, despite knowing they're probably going down, are the best kind.

Don't feel bad about not being a fighter ace, the turn rates on fighters are ridiculous and are so high only those with the best computers and internet connections even have a chance. All fighters should be like Waran's in turn rate, or slower, then maybe you'd see a lot more people doing better at fighter pvp.

If you want some help with trading and getting established in another trade route, hit me up here https://discord.gg/Cv25DTV (Freelancer dischord server). If you want to turn to piracy like me, I can help with that too. If I can get a few disgruntled ex lawfuls together, we can form a band of merry men to go pirating Enclave npc's. Hopefully some things well change and we'll see some new developments that will unblock some things here, which will be important if people plan to have this server running for another 5 or 10 years. If that's the plan, the sooner the devs get on top of a re-vamp in rules and in-game activities, the better those years will be.
(01-09-2020, 06:24 PM)Roamingcharges Wrote: [ -> ]This game is for fun
there it is. some and i would say many see fun in what you pretty much discribed as your reason to leave, fun is subjective, some may see fun in spending their time powertrading, some - sieging the POBs, some - ganking the living shit out of others and so on.

all i can recommend in this situation is to join the dark side and take part in same ganks and sieges. it might not feel good or right from a start, but then you won't care anymore
(01-09-2020, 06:52 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Don't feel bad about not being a fighter ace, the turn rates on fighters are ridiculous and are so high only those with the best computers and internet connections even have a chance. All fighters should be like Waran's in turn rate, or slower, then maybe you'd see a lot more people doing better at fighter pvp.
Saying this when many of the good people we have on Discovery, like own a PC that is probably older than myself feels like you are trying to hide the inability of people to learn and discredit others for the work that they've put into playing and learning the classes.

(01-09-2020, 06:24 PM)Roamingcharges Wrote: [ -> ]I remember I joined a fight where I couldn't tell if they were joking but I was told to make the fight interesting. Died in less than a minute to hear no, not interesting. How is that fun? These sieges tho I think where the worst. I could just hop on an alt and avoid fights but with a siege of a base that took players lots of time and dedication I have to be there. First day dead in less then 1 minute again. Tried again in a gunboat, swarmed by bombers and died. Next day roll out bs and die, but that made sense since I had very little experience using a Rhein bs. But that last day was bad, there were no more than 17+ people seigeing the base. Same thing for the next sieges.

Yall realize that alot that log are newbies right? Its wierd watching a bunch of guys happy over destroying people that have so little time on here. Since I been here I got just 3 snub kills and 1 gunboat. The first was a rogue bnd pilot but it was with the help of friend. The second was a bomber that I had found wondering in nb. It was evenly matched but both of us died. It was fun tho. And a ai ship that appeared and me and a friend fought. We couldn't scratch the shield even less the armor but with a well place mine that my friend set up and some good hits in the end I got him. The guy was nice. The gunboat was also through some help. But everything outside of that has been a loss. I have not won in a fighter fest. Not once. And thats just on the server side of things. Coming on here and watching alot of people tease or troll my friends sucks. I don't understand. You win the fight yet you got to rub it in our face? I get it, meme, haha. But when its the same 5 or 6 teasing and escalating on not one but various threads, it starts to seem a little excessive.

I feel bad for newerer players getting caught up into what both the Rheinland Lawfuls and Unlawfuls have been doing for a long time now. You see, it is a fact that In a game from 2003 some people have built up a massive amount of experience and skill and that can look overwhelming for a newer player. Most of these people have found themselves not only within RHA, but initially also in other factions similar to RM. I can speak from experience here (even as a mediocre at best pvper) when I say that the Rheinland Military in particular has had a policy of removing every member that has been playing for the RHA , and at some point that started to include the skilled pilots as well. This has been building up for quite some time and resulted in a RM that has barely any capable PVPER's on Snubs left while a lot of the good PVP'ers have ended up in RHA.

This, as well as other factors have resulted in the RHA stomping older and newer RM players in fights. That is not fun for any group but at this point all that I can say is that people in charge of the Rheinland Lawful side have been doing it to themselves. Kicking out everyone that can fight will obviously result in one-sided fights.
Alongside the unfair fights , a mudwar on the forum, over Discord and ingame ensued as well. When I initially joined this server I've been playing mainly Rheinland Lawfuls when I first joined the server and have been told that RHA are the devil that we have to cleanse. Over the 2+ years that I've been here since I joined, I've caught people lying multiple times to make sure fighting RHA looks worse than it actually is.

Now I'm not saying that the Lawful side is the only side responsible for this as it always takes 2 parties to argue and if I may speak for the unlawful population of Rheinland then I'd like to say that we know that we're not behaving as well as we should, but at some point you just grow tired of all the lies and excuses.

(01-09-2020, 06:24 PM)Roamingcharges Wrote: [ -> ]I think like Riehl said I will probably leave for some time maybe forever, idk. This isn't fun. This isn't a community. This isn't freelancer. To the few actually pilots that were apart of these groups that are good people like that one guy that let me and my friend fight him together, thank you. We lost but it was a good rp and fight. Keep on doing good. And to the rest of the people on here that are good people too have a good day. And please, for the good of the server, try to be better people. You'll alienate any people wanting to play. Fair fights and no toxic posts. I mean, can't you lose sometimes? This won't get you far, I promise. Funny, I only made it 4 months..... I wish yall the best.[/indent]

This isn't Freelancer, you're right. Barely anything of Vanilla in terms of faction concepts remains and it is a shame.

All in all, as being the one that nagged Wesker and RHA to siege some pobs, it was never my intention to break anyones spirit. My sole goal was to make the Rheinland Lawful vs Unlawful fight a living thing again, mainly inspired by the EOS and MNG Siege on Tortuga in Omicron Tau. That siege has a bunch of attackers and defenders, people have clashed quite a few times and sides have adapted their strategies on taking each other on.
People might want to point fingers and say "it's the hater gang (whoever these people are), they want to take Revenge for Sigma-21" and I don't think that is the case. RHA has had a history of sieging PoB's to a point where it has become a meme to say "Call Wesker" when you want to siege a base. In this case, Rheinland's history of kicking people out and telling everyone to not log against the Hessians has backfired on them and the destruction of bases is the result.

Good luck on what you'll play next, hopefully you'll find it more enjoyable.
Perhaps factions that are powerful should use that power with responsibility? Killing off the playerbase of your enemies is like shooting yourself in the foot. Animals that overhunt eventually starve out.
(01-09-2020, 07:33 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps factions that are powerful should use that power with responsibility? Killing off the playerbase of your enemies is like shooting yourself in the foot. Animals that overhunt eventually starve out.

thing is, one can always log a different faction.
After seeing 20 RHA/SCRA and 2 RM online, that should be the quote of the day. One can always switch to make the odds fairer.
(01-09-2020, 07:18 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2020, 06:52 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Don't feel bad about not being a fighter ace, the turn rates on fighters are ridiculous and are so high only those with the best computers and internet connections even have a chance. All fighters should be like Waran's in turn rate, or slower, then maybe you'd see a lot more people doing better at fighter pvp.
Saying this when many of the good people we have on Discovery, like own a PC that is probably older than myself feels like you are trying to hide the inability of people to learn and discredit others for the work that they've put into playing and learning the classes.

True it does take practice to get that good, but its also true that you can't do it if you have restraints from your PC or internet connection. Everyone knows how it goes, you get into a fast moving battle, then the chops start, then lag. If you can't get past that you can't do well in a fighter battle no matter how much you've learned.

I'm also under the belief its the high turn rates on fighters that cause the crashes at events. If things were slowed down a bit it might lessen the load on the computer. I'd also be curious to see how it would change things around here if it was made a just a little easier to compete at that level.
(01-09-2020, 07:50 PM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2020, 07:18 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]

True it does take practice to get that good, but its also true that you can't do it if you have restraints from your PC or internet connection. Everyone knows how it goes, you get into a fast moving battle, then the chops start, then lag. If you can't get past that you can't do well in a fighter battle no matter how much you've learned.

I'm also under the belief its the high turn rates on fighters that cause the crashes at events. If things were slowed down a bit it might lessen the load on the computer. I'd also be curious to see how it would change things around here if it was made a just a little easier to compete at that level.

Turn rates are not the issue with events. PoBs + projectiles are.

PoBs are globally calculated at certain rates. So the more PoBs, the less stable the server. Because at one single moment, every HP + how much it repairs + how much commodities is consumed + how much is left needs to be calculated for ALL PoBs - more or less at once.

Now add that to 60 players being in one spot, all firing 20+ projectiles which must be calculated, and tracked, and damage to player ships must be calculated and tracked. Then sendt to all the players around you.

Look, if there is a 1v1, server has to send info to you, and that other person.
So if player A does damage to Player B, Player A and B is sent a package.

But if you have 50 other players nearby, you have to send this package times 52, because you need to send to A, and B + all other 50 players nearby.

Now imagine doing that for EVERY player in the vicinity of eachother, each second or two.... that is an ungodly amount of information to send at once. Now if you have to add all PoB calculations ontop of this, AND FLServer is mostly if not entirely single threaded, so all information must be calculated by ONE core, and you have yourself a recipe for instant crash.

Turn rate, has NOTHING to do with it. NONE. NIX. NADA.

It is projectiles + PoBs + player numbers in close proximity.

As for turn rates, yes lag plays some role, as for game performance, i spent most my time playing FL on a laptop from 2005, and i managed to, at my very best, be around the top 30-25% of the server. I could reliably beat 2/3rds of anyone i met. Be it in a bomber, a fighter, or even a gunboat.

But i, as a player, do not have good enough reflexes to progress beyond that, and i accept that. However there is certain things you can do to overcome that, such as gathering experience and knowing when to early turn, how to set up a mine trap, when not to spam your shots, how to use strafe or even roll to your advantage.
But even on WiFi, on a laptop from 2005, i could get into the top 25% of the server. Back when we had 200 players daily.
Pages: 1 2