Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Powergaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
min-maxing is better term for this, I think. We are stuck with how we define powergaming here.
Looks like normal smartass behaviour to me.

Additionally turn punishment possibility (being the only thing common people care for) off and smartasses will be all around.

Smartass|Pepe <- join my new factun
(01-11-2020, 05:43 PM)Pepe Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like normal smartass behaviour to me.

Additionally turn punishment possibility (being the only thing common people care for) off and smartasses will be all around.

Smartass|Pepe <- join my new factun

What ID do you use? I need to powergame my ship loadout if I join.
Other roleplay communities use "god-moding" as term for powergaming. However, just like powergaming, godmoding is has a different meaning in a game than in a roleplay environment.
As a senior roleplayer in a text-based roleplay and a self-proclaimed expert in that kind of stuff (and a frequent abuser), I can tell you that this definition is too vague and misleading.
Powergaming is about being A WINNER. When you ignore simple logic of a simple worldbuilding just to win something out of some situation. If your character is bound to a chair and torturer chips away pieces of your teeth with pliers and stuffs your mouth with an ice cream - and you ignore it just not to give out information.
One man once said, "powergaming. It's not even a natural, for everybody, expect vegetables who are connected to the artificial kidneys, will to survive and to win. It's just a word which is used by a handicapped idiots if you are not going to stand still and silently watch how they try to screw you over."
And I honestly can't think of how 'powergaming' is addressed on Discovery.
Meh in many ways its just logical gaming, I see the term thrown around when people want to guilt others into exposing themselves more.
Powergaming in Discovery is knowing that the person you are hunting is flying a 5k (which is to say, unarmed), making demands from multiple people in cruisers, not giving them a chance to respond because you have multiple statements occurring at the same time and then blowing them away, using the excuse that they refused to comply with your (usually conflicting) demands.

Powergaming in a roleplay environment isn't about winning the game, it is about dominance in the player versus player arena.
That's exactly what it not is.
(01-11-2020, 08:58 PM)Alestone Wrote: [ -> ]Powergaming in Discovery is knowing that the person you are hunting is flying a 5k (which is to say, unarmed), making demands from multiple people in cruisers, not giving them a chance to respond because you have multiple statements occurring at the same time and then blowing them away, using the excuse that they refused to comply with your (usually conflicting) demands.

Powergaming in a roleplay environment isn't about winning the game, it is about dominance in the player versus player arena.

You are 100% wrong on what powergaming is in Disco.
Pages: 1 2 3 4