Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Request for Clarification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday, a Junker hit me pirated me in Magellan. I went along with it at the time because I wasn't going to rules lawyer. I have two questions.

First:
Quote:Can demand cargo and credits from ships outside of Rheinland, Liberty and Bretonian house space, and attack them if they do not comply.
Quote:House Controlled Space: Cortez, Hudson, Magellan, Zurich
Does this mean that the piracy violated Server Rules?

Second:
Quote:4.2 Demands should be reasonable and only one monetary or cargo demand can be issued during each piracy interaction. Telling the Trader to halt/stop is not a demand, however, if the Trader chooses to ignore the request, then they can be shot down without the need for any further demands. Upon compliance with the demand, the demanding party must not interfere any further during the same interaction, unless provoked.
Is 11% of cargo, 480 units out of a 4220 capacity, reasonable? An offer of 5 million credits was declined. (Unless you had an RP potential, you borked yourself there. 3,115,680‬ max on the cargo)

I am not trying to nitpick, I am trying to ensure I understand.
Quote:Bold blue systems are considered House Space for ID docking rules, quasilawful piracy, quasilawful house law enforcement, and all other instances of House Space on faction IDs

Junkers can pirate in systems that aren't bold blue in this post in the server rules. Magellan is a yellow system, so they can pirate there.

480 units out of your 4,220 seems entirely reasonable to me. I don't see any violation of the server rules here.
(02-02-2020, 01:35 PM)Alestone Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday, a Junker hit me pirated me in Magellan. I went along with it at the time because I wasn't going to rules lawyer. I have two questions.

First:
Quote:Can demand cargo and credits from ships outside of Rheinland, Liberty and Bretonian house space, and attack them if they do not comply.
Quote:House Controlled Space: Cortez, Hudson, Magellan, Zurich
Does this mean that the piracy violated Server Rules?

No idea where you got this quote from, not the server rules, that's for sure. But it doesn't matter anyways, since the ID is only about House Sovereign space, Magellan is a borderworld.

(02-02-2020, 01:35 PM)Alestone Wrote: [ -> ]Second:
Quote:4.2 Demands should be reasonable and only one monetary or cargo demand can be issued during each piracy interaction. Telling the Trader to halt/stop is not a demand, however, if the Trader chooses to ignore the request, then they can be shot down without the need for any further demands. Upon compliance with the demand, the demanding party must not interfere any further during the same interaction, unless provoked.
Is 11% of cargo, 480 units out of a 4220 capacity, reasonable? An offer of 5 million credits was declined. (Unless you had an RP potential, you borked yourself there. 3,115,680‬ max on the cargo)

I am not trying to nitpick, I am trying to ensure I understand.

Up to 100% is considered reasonable, as long as the pirate can carry it.
The first quote is from the ID, the second quote is indeed from the server rules.

Regarding demands, can you provide a quote or thread substantiating your position, or is it only your opinion?
(02-02-2020, 01:59 PM)Alestone Wrote: [ -> ]The first quote is from the ID, the second quote is indeed from the server rules.

Regarding demands, can you provide a quote or thread substantiating your position, or is it only your opinion?

It's based on sanctions that happened when someone has demanded more than they can carry and were deemed to be unreasonable demands.
(02-02-2020, 02:07 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]It's based on sanctions that happened when someone has demanded more than they can carry and were deemed to be unreasonable demands.

My apologies, I was referring to the 100% statement.
It's not covered in absolute certainty anywhere because it's subject to the opinion of the admins when processing a violation report for an unreasonable demand. It's the kind of thing that's impossible to write an explicitly specific rule for because every interaction is different and subject to a wide range of factors.

For example, a Junker pirating an empty transport for 15 million credits would, I imagine, be considered unreasonable for obvious reasons. One of the sanctions I recall was a fighter craft demanding a transport drop all of its cargo, which was considered unreasonable because the fighter would not have been able to carry all of the cargo, however if, say, a Corsair fighter stopped a transport with 5,000 cardamine, I would think demanding it to drop all of its cargo would be considered reasonable for roleplay reasons, i.e. cardamine is the lifeblood of the Corsair's mortal enemies the Outcasts.

Ultimately, it's an entirely subjective matter but players, assumed as at least half-functioning humans with at least most of their brain, are expected to exercise their common sense and simply be reasonable. If you feel a demand made of you has been unreasonable, you can always make a post, like you have, seeking further opinion and if necessary file a rule violation report. Personally, I think the demand made of you was very reasonable.
Thank you for the explanation. That was very well written, and certainly makes sense.

I will admit that I was more concerned with the where than the amount, especially when I still made a profit on the abandoned cargo, a bit less less than 2x as opposed to the roughly 10x of the original cargo.