Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Weird stuff.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Diagnostics and advice please.

Took a LNS Battlecruiser out just now. It was totally invisible apart from the engine signature. It was on a mission and was shooting an enemy ship. Next all the enemy morphed to Far Distance. My shield was taken down and nothing was around to drop it. The mission ended up abandoned and all the 50k I cruised back to base my shield was regularly being dropped and no enemy anywhere.

There has been no tinkering with files so must be server related. I did a line ping test. 3 ping, no jitter, 76Mbps download.

My usual ping to the server is about 290. Any help appreciated.
Despite what it seems, It sounds like a latency problem. I have these regularily when some person is somewhere in Sirius ramming a planet. While the ships tend to move far away, that's what your side is showing as them being far when the server accounts them to being near and thus is why no projectiles or ships are near you while your shields are being drained.
New day same thing except I solved the invisible ship issue. Where is this latency coming from? Again I did a line test for ping and on my side it is excellent 3 ping, 1 jitter, 80Mbps download.
Is it server related?
As a person with constant 250-300+ latency I confirm that once you run into too many ships, be they NPC or players, the game turns into a turn-base strategy and your shields are drained even without seeing who does it. As it was said above, the NPCs are still there and they shoot you server-side while you client-side see them as missing bcs of lags.

Bandwidth in this case does not help much. I have 1 GB/s internet but it does not contribute much to my gameplay because of sheer distance to the server and because of old and crappy freelancer networking code that was designed with much slower Internet speed available at the time of the release of the game in mind.

Solution - no idea, tbh. Would be interested myself in finding how to do bigger missions or participate in large PvP events.
(02-10-2020, 05:13 AM)Monsieur Baguette Wrote: [ -> ]Solution - no idea, tbh. Would be interested myself in finding how to do bigger missions or participate in large PvP events.

Sigh... and this reinforces why I cannot join a police or military faction as the latency means i cannot shoot the enemy as they are here ping there ping back ping! PvP is not on my abilities list.