Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What Garrett Jax would do if he were StoryDev.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Synopsis:

The Gallic War has ended. The Houses are regrouping. Gallia has suffered major losses, however, with a foothold into Bretonia and Kusari, the foundation for rebuilding their armada can begin again. Kusari, already partly absorbed by Gallia, is trying to pull itself from the ashes. They are forced to accept assistance from anyone they can. Bretonia is licking its wounds and nursing it's pride. The government is openly fearful another war might finally be their undoing. The Rheinland government is discounting rumors their military is in shambles. More insidious rumors of infected Wilde in the upper reaches of their Government elicit alarm from the other Houses. Meanwhile, Liberty is trying to absorb the millions of refugees swarming into their systems, overwhelming the military and civilian resources needed to care for them.

What happens now?

The Nomads return. Seeing the invaders fighting each other in petty squabbles has provided the Mindshare time to evolve itself into a deadly force. Its intentions are clear. Catch the humans while they are weak and crush them once and for all.

Gameplay:

Nomads, along with their infected Wilde, are a unifying enemy. Nomad raids into various Houses unite factions normally opposed to each other into a brief alliance as they attempt to ward off the superior alien ships and guns. In numbers, these nomads are nearly unstoppable. Only with coordination and ingenuity, can the humans repel the assault. A secret Nomadic base, located in New Berlin and used by the infected, has become a jumping-off point for nomadic invasions into Liberty, Kusari, Bretonia, and the Sigmas. House Governments are forced to work together to try and assemble what few forces they have left while the Rheinland government mystifies the other Houses with a lack of cooperation.

The Core and The Order find themselves allying against a common foe more frequently. The Outcasts are faced with a dilemma of whether to continue to revere these suddenly harsh masters or support humanity. The Corsairs forge stronger alliances with Gallia, Golden Chrysanthemums, LWB and Unioners, and even the Xenos as they endeavor to avoid the Nomad's tactics to cut them off from the rest of humanity.

Oils, ores and other commodities are needed to rebuild and keep the human industrial machine churning, but space is dangerous. Raids are frequent. The will of the Mindshare is irrepressible. There are also segments of humanity such as rogues, pirates, and hackers eager to exploit industrial vulnerabilities. When chaos ensues, the lawless thrive.

The Reasoning:

It's been my experience that activity flourishes when the Server is confronted with a villian. For example, when I first joined Disco, the Nomad's OP ships generated loads of activity everywhere they went. Why? Because a large segment of the community wanted to take them down. Another example, was the Pirate ID before it was nerfed. Remember the times when NY was swarmed by Pirate ID'd ships? The Admins received daily complaints about this, but when we fixed it, activity dropped. We took the villain away and the result was that the same people that complained to us about these Pirates were the ones who complained about us removing them. We took their fun away.

What the Server needs is a villain. What do I mean by a villain? Doesn't Disco have lots of villains? What I mean is to give Disco a villain that can unite nearly everyone together against a common foe. And what greater villain could there be than the Nomads?

In the name fo fairness, the Nomads were nerfed, but then so was the desire to play them. The reasons were sound. People complained about Nomad ships uncloaking and insta-killing players with little to no RP prior to attack. Obviously, that cannot be allowed to happen again.

So, what am I suggesting? Buff the Nomad ships/guns in such a way that we regain interest and activity in the faction, yet not so much that it's impossible to counter them. Give Disco a villain with some teeth. Make space dangerous exciting again. Force enemies to work together temporarily as they fight to repel the aliens. This creates unique alliances, which creates something new and different, which in turn generates interest, which ultimately increases activity.

To be clear, this is just an idea first introduced on Discord and slightly fleshed out in this format. I am NOT the StoryDev. This is just a little brainstorming I had to see how to generate excitement for Disco again. You might be able to build on this by showing how your faction might react in this scenario. How might your faction RP this out with other factions? What enemy might they temporarily ally with if faced with a Nomad armada?

Also, please don't use this thread to hate on the devs. If their job was easy, everyone would be doing it.

My knowledge of where the Houses sit after the Gallic war is a bit out of date, so don't crucify me too bad. My main point about Disco needing a villain still stands though. Smile
Whilst I disagree with Nomads having OP stuff (unless it's very limited - one special ship per OF) I do think the future of the Nomads story wise is via creating chaos in the Houses. Wild raids into House space are a blast, and it'd be great if those could have more official support.
Well, the idea is solid according to my totally non biased opinion as a player who mainly plays Vagrants. Still, you would make any other conflict obsolete for as long as this would be going on.

Suncrusher when?
None of that makes sense.

Corsairs and GC would never ally. Neither would Order and Core.

The big problem with Gallia is that 99% of all factions on disco were at one point or another forced to shoot mustache-twirling villains because they were at their core, indefensible morally, ideologically and practically. There was no reason to ever ally with the Royalists unless you were a Royalist yourself. This would only set the same precedence with entirety of server fighting another very limited playerbase. Nomads also never were powerful enough to take on Houses directly. Their primary strategem is subversion, not revealing their cards at the same time for all of the Sirians to bundle up and make them extinct in a single swoop of galactic super-hammer. Humans DO ountnumber Nomads and their only saving grace is that humanity is not unified.
"The Corsairs forge stronger alliances with Gallia, Golden Chrysanthemums, LWB and Unioners, and even the Xenos as they endeavor to avoid the Nomad's tactics to cut them off from the rest of humanity."

GC are mortal enemies of Corsairs because of cardamine
(02-11-2020, 11:42 PM)Megaera Wrote: [ -> ]"The Corsairs forge stronger alliances with Gallia, Golden Chrysanthemums, LWB and Unioners, and even the Xenos as they endeavor to avoid the Nomad's tactics to cut them off from the rest of humanity."

Good to know. I am not as informed as I should be on each factions rep with every other faction. I thought I saw Corsirs with a slightly negative rep with GC.
Nomads & Wilds intensifies are cliches. This is not really worth time to make Nomad War 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc
(02-11-2020, 11:49 PM)Garrett Jax Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2020, 11:42 PM)Megaera Wrote: [ -> ]"The Corsairs forge stronger alliances with Gallia, Golden Chrysanthemums, LWB and Unioners, and even the Xenos as they endeavor to avoid the Nomad's tactics to cut them off from the rest of humanity."

Good to know. I am not as informed as I should be on each factions rep with every other faction. I thought I saw Corsirs with a slightly negative rep with GC.

Corsairs are also allied with Hogosha and friendly with the Kusari law enforcement. Corsairs are therefore on the 'kill on sight' part of the diplomacy scale
(02-11-2020, 11:41 PM)Omicron Wrote: [ -> ]None of that makes sense.

Corsairs and GC would never ally. Neither would Order and Core.

The big problem with Gallia is that 99% of all factions on disco were at one point or another forced to shoot mustache-twirling villains because they were at their core, indefensible morally, ideologically and practically. There was no reason to ever ally with the Royalists unless you were a Royalist yourself. This would only set the same precedence with entirety of server fighting another very limited playerbase. Nomads also never were powerful enough to take on Houses directly. Their primary strategem is subversion, not revealing their cards at the same time for all of the Sirians to bundle up and make them extinct in a single swoop of galactic super-hammer. Humans DO ountnumber Nomads and their only saving grace is that humanity is not unified.

Well, if nothing else comes from this, I’ll get a free faction diplomacy course. Regardless, I find it difficult to believe that if Core and Order we’re engaged in battle and Nomads arrived, the Order wouldn’t stop and fight the Nomads. That’s what you do, right? Is my understanding wrong here?
I myself prefer a grey universe over a black and white one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6