Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The First Meeting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The two brothers sat in the empty wardroom, a bottle of whiskey and three empty glasses between them on the oak table, silence filled the room as Victor read through files and Edmund did the same. The man they were about to meet was remarkable only by his name, otherwise, he was fairly normal. Still, there were concerns that needed to be addressed, sooner rather than later. Particularly with the business in Exeter now reaching a boiling point. Issues that were hidden risked becoming more and more problematic and while Redmond was off doing his own thing, Steiner deemed it far more important to learn about those within the officer corps.

Word soon filtered down that the man both Victor and Edmund were eager to meet had arrived and the filed were quickly and quietly returned to their folders. No whiskey was poured, for now, clearer heads were needed.
Fleet Admiral's office HMS-Essex New London,
02/15/ 827 AS, 08:00

Never in his life had he been more afraid and curious. Maybe they'd caught onto the fact that he turned 18 after graduating from the academy? No, no one caught wind for weeks. He had recommendation letters, good conduct, there was no way.

The flight scores? They were unusually high for someone his age and of his experience. Near perfect even. But not even he understood that, even with that being said there was no way it would be enough for the bloody FLEET ADMIRAL to call him for a private mission.

"Just be respectful, be honest, explain that I'm of age now and only have good intentions. I have a degree, I have experience and I got good scores... ok maybe don't mention the flight scores."

The elevator onboard the HMS-Essex was packed with different ranks and rates. Some mechanics, medics, and other officers. All of them were just talking casually about their day, some were taking in the end of the war. One officer in particular though, noticed Isaak onboard. The butter bars on his shoulders brought out a quick smirk from the officer who noticed.

Mister.... Heinrich? Haven't seen you around, you new?

I just graduated about six months ago, I'm... with the Exter garrison in... Exter.

Oh? And what are you doing out here?

I was called for a meeting.

Ohh, advancing? New position?

Uh... Well sort of.

Ok, do you know where your going?

Top deck, room 223.

Everyone's head instantly turned torwards the Ensign out of curiosity.

That's... that's the Fleet Admiral's room.

He was the one that called me.

Best of luck mate, he's been a bit grumpy lately. Don't tell him I said that though, he's a great guy overall, really.

Good to know sir... Thanks!

Everyone quickly walked out as the elevator came to a stop. All that was left for a brief second was a nervous and confused boy looking peeking out to look down either end of the hall. Couldn't be that bad right?

Please let this not go wrong.

Heinrich slowly slipped past other personnel walking down the hall, making micro-adjustments to his appearance as he did so. His uniform and appearance already seemed squared away neatly. His reflection in the windows nearby gave him that sense of confidence. But it still wasn't enough to completely shake his nervousness.

"There's no way the Fleet Admiral would note that, no way in hell. I'd get talked to by one of my supervisors if anything, The Governor General at most."

As his walk came to a close he noticed the ranks walking by get higher, but he also noted that there weren't as many walking past him. The intimidation of rank was really starting to settle in. He saw the room number and the entrance, it crept up on him slowly, but steadily. The noises around him started to quiet down more and more as he focused on the moments to come. This was it.

He turned, identifying not one but two persons inside. One being the admiral, the other... the SIS Director?

What?

Fleet Admiral Stiener, Ensign Heinrich reporting as ordered.

Stuck the entrance pretty decently.

Both men looked at the ensign, neutral, objective faces that didn't give much away. Come in, Ensign. Close the door Edmund said quietly. Victor presented a file, and placed it unopened in front of himself. Please. Sit. He said, in a colder tone than his brother. Both men now turned their attention away from the young ensign while they placed each file they had in order of most relevant to the least relevant.

Ensign Isaak Luciano Heinrich, age 18, born on planet Gran Canaria, formerly an electrician Edmund said, reading from the file that contained the information.
Good conduct, top marks in flight school and navigation, no issues with superior officers or other ranks, correct answers given in application to the Armed Forces, no signs of psychological distress, cool under fire. Victor continued, before stopping and looking at Heinrich No mention of family, only a guardian.

Ensign you are here because we have concerns, and a request. Our concerns are not with your conduct, as you have just heard, you have been exemplary in your conduct thus far. We do however require you to tell us who Freyja Engel is.

You might want to include your full life story in the process, the reasons why will become clear soon.
02/15/ 827 AS, 08:02

Family? This was the second time now, first from that privateer, now from the Fleet Admiral of the Armed forces and the Director of national security. Isaak's concern for what he thought they were going to rip into him on passed like a gust of wind. His focus on their question left him not with fear, but just more and more confusion.

His own history had evaded him for a long time, he gave up on it some time ago. But maybe he really was onto something if house officials were just as interested. No one had ever been straight with him, he was sort of envyous of the family connection so many of his friends had. He never felt that same type of love, or accountability. That alone ate at him, and now, just after he had let it go - that feeling had managed to sneak its way back into his life again. This time it would be unavoidable. Or at least, the ranks in the room were making it so for the time being.

Yes sir.

She was my guardian sir, she's also lived on Gran Canaria since she was a child. She worked with the other guardians at an orphanage where I grew up. It was split up in a way though that each of the children had an assigned Guardian. Mine was Freyja.
Isaak spoke as clearly and calmly as he could to the Admiral before turning to the Director, who wanted even more.

I never found out how I ended up at the orphanage, Freyja told me I was collected from a hospital. My name was written on my crib as a child. I grew up in care from Freyja and some of the other guardians before they eventually let me go. I got into electrical and engineering work when I was thirteen, I started working for a local dealership on Exter before the Crown's annexation. I was home-schooled, there weren't many public schools around growing up since Gran Canaria at the time had no real education settlements.

The two eyed each other and exchanged different facial expressions as Isaak started to list off everything. Hopefully the words were satisfactory.

And what was the name of this orphanage? Are you still contact with anyone there? Victor asked while Edmund poured all three men a small glass of scotch.

What the director means is, if one wanted to discuss something with miss Engel, would you be able to provide us with her details? Edmund clarified, sliding a glass to the Ensign and his brother.
02/15/ 827 AS, 08:05

Isaak drew a bit of concern, what were they after? What would they do to Freyja to get whatever it was they wanted to hear? The questions all started stacking up, but Isaak couldn't quite muster the courage to ask the big question just yet. Requests were just polite orders.

We keep in touch often Sir, she still lives at the Orphanage on Gran Canaria. Since I'm stationed nearby as a garrison pilot I get too see her often. Sky-view was the name of the Orphanage, as far as I know it's still open and housing other children.

He broke with a pause for a second before moving onto the other half of the Admiral's question, he thought it would be quite obvious. But perhaps to many it seemed to be the opposite.

Sir, the annexation did away with all the Corsairs, all the Coalition and their own little war on our home. Some Corsair pilots would steal from the shop, others outright wouldn't pay. I wasn't in any position to do anything. Some of them came to orphanages, took children, took... whatever they wanted. The closer to the annexation it was the more the amount of malicious actions there were. Once the annexation happened it came to a close. I didn't have to worry anymore.

Isaak reached for the glass, inspecting it a bit before looking up at the officers again. Now this meeting was informal? Every minute of this meeting just brought out more and more curiosity.

Then you'll have to set a meeting up between myself and her. Victor said, moving the glass to one side[ we will need to go through the orphanages records, and your place of birth. I assume it was a hospital?

I suppose it's time we told you our other request, ensign, Edmund said, taking a small sip from his glass We need a blood and tissue sample from you. Your medical records have it listed already, but in the interests of being absolutely certain, we need a fresh sample after this meeting. Do you have any questions you wish to ask us?
02/15/ 827 AS, 08:07

The curiosity was driving him insane. There was a missing piece to this puzzle, one he couldn't find for the life of him. The admirals knew something, or were oddly curious. But what was it exactly? That was it, Isaak gripped the arm rests of his chair, taking a breath or two before he could ask the question both of them were obviously looking for.

I'll call Freyja after this, she told me I was born in the hospital. She never told me different, no matter when or how I asked.

"Don't mast me don't mast me don't mast me".

It's not that I would ever question your leadership or judgement, Admiral, Director. But... what about me stands out so much? I know I'm fairly new, and I come from a settlement that was occupied not too long ago. But surely it's not everyday officers such as myself are called upon. Please do not take this as any disrespect, I'm... I'm really just curious though.

Well that felt a little better at least.

Victor looked at his brother, they had talked about this...or argued about it. Victor was opposed to telling Heinrich anything, especially since the more they learnt, the more he didn't like the outcome. Edmund on the other hand believed in honesty, that lying to an otherwise loyal officer was inherently wrong, that should the man find out about his parentage, and that they had deliberately hidden the truth from him, the consequences would be more detrimental. Ultimately, the choice was Edmund's, and the older brother had made that clear.

We believe..based on what you have told us, that we might, know who your mother is. I stress, we might know. We require more solid evidence. Hence us asking for your blood. Edmund was unhappy at having to tell anyone this news, how does one inform another that a parent of theirs might now be their sworn enemy? What hidden loyalties might such a conflict bring forth?

Victor leaned in with interest now, while he disagreed with Edmund's choice, he would back him nonetheless It is for this reason that we have summoned you and that we have asked, admittedly invasive questions as to your upbringing and those close to you. We don't ask because we wish to cause you discomfort, or pain, but because for the good of the House we Need to know.
02/15/ 827 AS, 08:07

Isaak's interest rose as theirs did, but... "for the good of the house" what was that supposed to mean? What danger or benefit could his potential lineage have on an entire house. There was no "Heinrich" that could bend the nation afterall, and Isaak was just a boy.

Isaak, took a few breaths looking around to try and escape the stress of the moment before looking back at both of them.

I spent so much time looking sir. I've... never met anyone in my family. But based on what you're saying... I'll do as you say sir. Sorry, I'm... this has just been a large part of my life. I should be greatful, the person you believe my mother to be, is she someone I would ever be able to meet?

The question left them both starring at each other again, Victor looked down. Edmund took another sip from his glass, it was probably the wrong question. But since personal questions were already in the loop, asking didn't feel like a bad idea.

Pages: 1 2 3